Archery Talk Forum banner

Dry Run…Advice from 1 Beginner to Another…

296 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  talntedmrgreen 
#1 ·
I usually try hunting situations when setting up stands before deer season and since this is my first try at turkey’s I knew I would be in for suprises if I didn’t practice everything I could. I was very right. I highly recommend to any beginners that you try a few dry runs before you hit the woods. you WILL suprise yourself! Seasoned hunters likely know how and what to do, but for us newbies, it’s a whole new ballgame.

Well, I finally had a free morning, and since our first gobbler season has now begun (for which I do not have a tag) I decided my scouting was finished and stayed home to practice a bit. I decided to try a few dry runs with full gear and did a few mock hunts in the back yard. I tell you what, you feel a bit goofy at first as the neighbors mow the grass while trying to figure out what on earth you are doing, but I learned A LOT today and feel much more confident!

I donned my camo, loaded pack and bow and started at the truck in the drive (as I would in the woods) and snaked my way through the garage and into the back yard. I already had a good feel for how much larger and immobile I was with my gear, as the garage echoes the slightest error in movement between vehicles quite well. Got to the back yard and quickly unpacked and setup as I would in a fast moving turk situation. Here I learned that I not only had gear in poor locations, but also noticed I couldn’t find half my stuff fast enough.

Pinned up some camo burlap between a couple fence posts and learned some stuff there too. Learned how much clearance I needed over the burlap to shoot (after stripping a few blazers off my first shaft) learned that a brisk wind lifts the burlap and reveals a confused hunter. Learned my release completely changes the way I need to hold and use my striker and that putting my box call on my right side is absolutely worthless. The lessons went on and on. I sweat my arse off and got a work out…and worked out a lot of frustration that may have cost me a bird next week. I went through everything, just as you would while target practicing, over and over, and am getting a nice groove going. I spent all morning unpacking and setting up every half hour or so. Its amazing how much is forgotten in that amount of time. For example, 4 times I was ready to go…I mean everything was perfect and set up fast with bow in hand, before realizing I didn’t have my release on! While scouting the past couple weeks I have had birds come up on me pretty quick, and practicing my set-up and shooting should be a BIG, BIG plus. Just thought I would share a few tidbits that have added a tremendous amount of improvement to my game! (Ignore the neighbor’s chuckles, if anything it will get you nervous like a bird will!)

Josh

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.