PDA

View Full Version : any fly fishermen?

**Frost Bite**
June 22nd, 2006, 07:46 PM
All I know how to do is fly fish! Anyone else fly fish?

LEP
June 22nd, 2006, 07:53 PM
All the time ..Havent picked up a spining rod in a couple years.. Not anything against it just like the flyfishing more...

RobJon
June 22nd, 2006, 07:54 PM
Avidly for over 30 years, I'll be on the Ste. Anne in the Gaspe for Atlantic Salmon the first week of July.

forgeguy
June 22nd, 2006, 08:22 PM
2 wt for brookies only way to go. gills are on the beds now.
going this weekend freezer empty. fly fishing & bow hunting
only two things in the world that matter

parchr
June 22nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
As much as possible, but this year I haven't gone out as much as I would like. I make settlement on my house July 31 and settle on the new August 4. We also had some family matters to deal with that kept me out of the turkey woods and off the streams. I see your from PA. Do you ever go to the central part of the stateand hit Penns or Spring creeks? I'm moving to the area. Cant wait to settle in and do some fishing. There is a terriffic stream behind the house I've fished since I was young.

Dredly
June 22nd, 2006, 09:14 PM
I do... I don't do it well. hell I may be the world worst fly fisherman but I love being waist high in a stream, hell I'd probably do the same thing without a fly rod just to be out there :)

**Frost Bite**
June 22nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
As much as possible, but this year I haven't gone out as much as I would like. I make settlement on my house July 31 and settle on the new August 4. We also had some family matters to deal with that kept me out of the turkey woods and off the streams. I see your from PA. Do you ever go to the central part of the stateand hit Penns or Spring creeks? I'm moving to the area. Cant wait to settle in and do some fishing. There is a terriffic stream behind the house I've fished since I was young.

We are going by State College on Saturday so I'll post my results. My dad takes me so I don't know where any good streams are. If you're moving to pa try huntingpa.com and go to the message boards. My dad's on there all the time. His username is CaneflyfishnGSPs. Maybe I can get him to pm you on here :teeth:

vermonster13
June 22nd, 2006, 10:13 PM
I truly enjoy flyfishing. One of the great stress relievers

Matt / PA
June 22nd, 2006, 11:05 PM
25 yrs worth........I picked up my first fly rod at 9yrs old.

I guided in Montana, WY, Yellowstone as well as back east here on the Upper Delaware . Avid fly tyer as well.
I've been lucky enough to fish some of the most famous waters in the country, out west from the Green River and Silver Creek to the Madison Henry's Fork and Paradise Valley spring creeks and too many to mention in between......then all the traditional limestone tailwater and freestone waters here in PA and surrounding states. I've been around. I think in 1996-98 I spent 200+ days a year on average on the water somewhere.:star:
Wish I could get out as much as I used to but 3D shooting is really cutting into my fishing the last few years.

If it swims I'll throw a fly in front of it.:shade:

**Frost Bite**
June 22nd, 2006, 11:11 PM
My dad got me started at 9 too. Anyone use cane? He is a professional cane restorer and restoration expert. All I use is cane. Someone bought a rod off him and said he will NEVER use anything but cane again!

Ack
June 23rd, 2006, 02:18 AM
All I know how to do is fly fish! Anyone else fly fish?

Yep!!! :shade:

**Frost Bite**
June 23rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
How big is that killer??

Yep!!! :shade:

Bushkey
June 23rd, 2006, 11:51 AM
Jip. I Belong to very old club (Haernetsburg Trout Association). The clud is turning 100 in a few months. Awesome trout in our area. We have our own trout hatchery and stock our own rivers and lakes with trout. Our waters is probably one of the best cept secrets. You have to be a member or must be accompanied by a member to fish.

brandon78
June 23rd, 2006, 12:07 PM
yup..ive been doing it for about 4 years and i love it, ima start tying my own flies here soon!!!

nywell
June 23rd, 2006, 02:15 PM
Love it. Started in 1980 and really got into it. I build fly rods, tie flies, etc. Used to belong to a great club, Buckeye United Fly Fishers in Cincinnati, OH, a terrific group of guys. We all helped each other so all could get better.

Ack
June 24th, 2006, 12:30 AM
How big is that killer??

He was probably pushing 20 lbs. Not TOO bad for a Pere Marquette river salmon, but they do come bigger than that!

Airhead
June 24th, 2006, 09:46 AM
All I use anymore. A 3, 5, 8wt.

We've been targeting Smallies on Lake St. Clair for the last few weeks. got some real dandies on the fly. They've gone deep and are getting pretty hard to come by of late.

http://www.talkflyfishing.com/index.php?showtopic=12783

http://www.talkflyfishing.com/index.php?showtopic=12828

I'm the one with the Pike in the first pic.

burntcracker
June 24th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I try to but I am not verry good yet. I keep cracking my line like a buggy whip and I always snap my line. I have been working on keeping my wrist stiff and I am getting better at it.

Airhead
June 24th, 2006, 10:49 AM
I try to but I am not verry good yet. I keep cracking my line like a buggy whip and I always snap my line. I have been working on keeping my wrist stiff and I am getting better at it.

Best advice I got was "slow down", let the rod load and do the work. you'll get it.

Just "slow down".:wink:

Renegademan
June 24th, 2006, 12:42 PM
yes sir love it

smallgamehunter
June 24th, 2006, 02:45 PM
i fly fish for bass and bluegill with my 5wt combo

longerbow66
June 24th, 2006, 10:52 PM
i fly fish for bass and bluegill with my 5wt combo

Hi smallgamehunter The bow is great! She love it!:beer: Thanks agin!
I want to go bluegill fishing this year. How do you cook them I just bread mine!

craigos
June 25th, 2006, 02:42 AM
Fly fish all over ... christmas island,NA,Australia ...

smallgamehunter
June 25th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Hi smallgamehunter The bow is great! She love it!:beer: Thanks agin!
I want to go bluegill fishing this year. How do you cook them I just bread mine!
good to hear she likes the bow. i roll them in a cornmeal flour mix and deep fry them in my cast iron skillet

Blazer
June 25th, 2006, 06:01 PM
hunker, I got back from a wonderful week of flyfishing in the Smoky Mts.
Me and my little 4 wt. rod had a blast chasing those wild trout. It was very enjoyable and those fish are some the prettiest creatures on the face of the earth.

jbernaeyge
June 25th, 2006, 07:04 PM
im a fly fisherman,bass bluegill, crappie,and carp
i also tye my own flies

**Frost Bite**
June 25th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Here is my fish from yesterday. 17" rainbow trout. It was a 90* day so I didn't have my vest, waders and hat on. I was walking in my socks!

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/hunkerite/DSCF0502.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/hunkerite/DSCF0503.jpg

Matt / PA
June 25th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Hunkerite,

Is it just me or is that picture of the old "Women's" outflow section below the hatchery at Fisherman's Paradise on Spring Creek, PA?

**Frost Bite**
June 26th, 2006, 10:58 AM
I know it as the ditch. Yea that's where it is but I never heard of the womens part......:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I'm not doing as good as I wished this year so I've only been catching 1 or 2 fish a day! I was with my friend to. There's all that seaweed stuff there so he had about a 17" Rainbow on but it went right into the seaweed and disapeared! Where'd you ever think of women's part? That place has plenty of fish! Maybe that's where you got the womens part :confused: :confused: :confused: I dont know

UpprIaOutftters
June 26th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Yep - Salt, Grey and the Snake are my favorite stomping grounds for fly fishing, but I have been know to get it out for northerns and bass at Leech lake - I have never cought a walleye on a fly, have you?

**Frost Bite**
June 26th, 2006, 11:21 AM
never tried for walleye!! or bass!

JimPic
June 26th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Most of my fishing is with a 7 1/2 ft Quarrow 5wt.I just pickedup a Reddington 8wt for a steelhead trip next year--do a little bass fishing with it this year.

Matt / PA
June 26th, 2006, 12:20 PM
I know it as the ditch. Yea that's where it is but I never heard of the womens part...... I'm not doing as good as I wished this year so I've only been catching 1 or 2 fish a day! I was with my friend to. There's all that seaweed stuff there so he had about a 17" Rainbow on but it went right into the seaweed and disapeared! Where'd you ever think of women's part? That place has plenty of fish! Maybe that's where you got the womens part I dont know

Hunkerite......LOL:wink: I wasn't insulting you for fishing that little stretch. The "Woman's" section is actually what is was back in the day when the Paradise became the first special regulations trout water in the country. The guys fished the main stream and the ladies competed for spots back in the side channel (I understand it got pretty furious back there too)

Read up a little bit on the history of that area , it's fly fishing and the streams. I recommend the book by Dan Shields " Fishing PA's Spring Creek" (it's like the River Journal series books) or any of the books by George Harvey as they outline the history of that great stream and the difficulties it has faced over the years.

Spring Creek at one time held some of the most prolific insect hatches anywhere including maybe the best Green Drake hatch, but sadly pollution has turned Spring Creek into a shadow of it's former self.
GReat fishing still to be had there though and the Sulphurs and Olives can keep you busy as well as the nymph fishing.

I've had plenty of 100+ fish days there over the years.

**Frost Bite**
June 26th, 2006, 12:36 PM
I know you weren't Matt. There was not 1 women on that stream ALL day! So no one can tell me that I was in the womens section because there was no sign at all!!! I think that ladies section is the whole thing where you're not allowed to wade because they might be scared to try!

**Frost Bite**
June 28th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Matt my dad got a howl out of that! He said me and my friend can fish there. So he's starting to call me and my friend a GIRL!!!!

SilentHntr.
June 30th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Always wanted to try it and now I can. This was my first fish with a fly rod, caught on fathers day.:)

Captain
July 3rd, 2006, 01:36 PM
I fly fish all the time. Trout mostly bt when my dad and brother go out on the boat i go along and still catch more bass then they do with my fly rod.

nywell
July 7th, 2006, 01:41 PM
I think the greatest fish on a fly is the blue gill/ sunfish. Thes bad boys really fight!

Guthrie
July 14th, 2006, 02:29 AM
I've been wanting to try my hand at flyfishing but i don't know how to get started. If anyone could point me in the direction of a good starter's rod and other things I need plus a video or some type of instructions. I will be fishing mainly for bass, bluegill, and carp because thats about all I have around. :tongue: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Guthrie

fyshwysh
July 14th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Oh yeah! I love bowhunting, but I'm a sick man when it comes to flyfishing.:pukey:

tcooll77
July 14th, 2006, 10:26 AM
ya i love fly fishing

88Chill
July 20th, 2006, 06:03 PM
For me, the best part of fly fishing (dry fly, that is) is being the hunted for a change. Nothing like presenting a dry fly perfectly and making a trout think I'm his next meal.

stkshtr
July 31st, 2006, 12:36 PM
http://www.fffsec.org/ is a good place to start. Trout Unlimited is also a good place for information. I warn you though, it is addictive.

scorpion38
July 31st, 2006, 01:50 PM
i have been fly fishing since i was 5 years old 40 now seen some good fishing and some poor.i work as a fly fishing guide in a salmon camp on the miramichi river in newbrunswick canada.never fished for rainbow or brown trout though but i think that it would be alot of fun to do.would like to see how the fight compares to a nice salmon

mathews/fish
July 31st, 2006, 10:59 PM
If you are new to the sport...and want to practice your casting skills:

take a 3-4 foot rod , butt end. Tie on a 4-5 foot piece of yarn at the end.
You now can practice indoors without hurting anyone or anything.
Don't snap it...bring it backwards, then when almost straight (yarn) cast it forwards. Go to your local library for videos.

slinger09
August 1st, 2006, 03:18 PM
I started fly fishing last spring. I had a bit of a hard time learning to cast but went and bought a video at Bass Pro that really cleared things up. Been loving it since. Couple of weeks ago I came across a stream that is loaded with native smallies and I have had them all to myself. Loving every minute of it.