PDA

View Full Version : Bow fishing

nywell
June 23rd, 2006, 02:17 PM
I've always wanted to learn how to bow fish. Any help on how to get started?

spec
June 23rd, 2006, 08:07 PM
Just do it!!! I just started this year and it is a BLAST. Using an old wheel bow, cranked down to 45-50. Odered a reel seat and some muzzy fish arrows from "sullys". Using a Johnson Country Mile reel and 50 lbs big game line. For more tips stro;;ver to the "bowfishing" section.

gardner
June 25th, 2006, 10:36 PM
What kind of fish do you go for?

tcooll77
June 27th, 2006, 10:48 AM
thats what i tell people too .. theres nothing really to explain besides get the equipment and go
but depending on where you are from carp gar catfish i cant think anymore

tcooll77
June 27th, 2006, 10:49 AM
but nywell you will be able to shoot carp only but in your area theres alot!

hoyt bowhunting
June 27th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Ok Get A Bow. The Real Is The Most Important Thing. I Like The Ams Retreiver. It Has Worked Great For Me For Years Shooting Big Carp Buffys And Gar. 200 Lbs Line Works Great. Get A Muzzy Arrow And Have Fun. Dont Get A Cheep Reel You Will Regreat It.
Matt

hoyt bowhunting
June 27th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Just do it!!! I just started this year and it is a BLAST. Using an old wheel bow, cranked down to 45-50. Odered a reel seat and some muzzy fish arrows from "sullys". Using a Johnson Country Mile reel and 50 lbs big game line. For more tips stro;;ver to the "bowfishing" section.

I WOULD GO WAY MORE THAN 50 LBS LINE. AND IF YOU ARE GOING FOR BIG FISH CRANKING THE BOW UP HELPS. I SHOOT 55 LBS AND SOMETIMES SHOULD BE SHOOTING MORE.
MATT

hoyt bowhunting
June 27th, 2006, 05:21 PM
What kind of fish do you go for?

I GO FOR CARP, LONG NOSE GAR, BUFFALO, DOGFISH, BULLHEADS.

BUT IN OTHER AREAS PEOPLE GO FOR.
CAT FISH, MANY GATOR GAR, PADDLE FISH, RAYS, SHARKS, REDFISH......JUST TO NAME A FEW.
MATT

Paul S.
June 28th, 2006, 01:11 AM
200 Lbs Line Works Great.

Since when are there alligator gar in Minnesota?!!:eek: :wink: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

hoyt bowhunting
June 28th, 2006, 09:03 AM
I use 200 lbs line for everything. I have 8 lbs long nose gar cut the line with there scales. I have had line get tangled in trees. 200 lbs line holds up to the tourcher of a person who fishes as much as possible.
matt

nywell
June 30th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks, I picked up a Muzzy Arrow and need to get a reel.
In NY we have CARP , so thats what I'm aft\er.

bowhunter777
July 16th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I personally don't use commercial reels, I tend to make all of mine. My reels consist of the ring around the top of a 5 gallon bucket cut off with 2 metal brackets riveted on and then just attatched to the bow using electrical tape. I use 200 lb braided line and an old yellow mustard bottle for a float. Maybe I'm just cheap, but this is how my dad taught me to do it years ago, and the increased size of the reel makes for a faster retreive. Shot many Gator Gar over 6 feet and 150 lbs. + throughout the years and haven't run into any problems. If anyone likes, I'll post some pics of the reel. It's by far the cheapest route to a succesful rig.