PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing For Carp

tackscall
July 6th, 2006, 02:18 PM
I just moved into a house near a retention pond that has a lot of carp. I'd like to hook up with my fly rod, any fly/presentation advice? In the evenings they seem to be digging near the bank. Thanks in advance for any help

hoyt bowhunting
July 6th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I can help you on the carp part. If they day is hot they are in the sade or near it in the sun. And in the area im in they are in shallow all summer.
matt

tackscall
July 6th, 2006, 09:43 PM
They seem to be real tight to the shore. The guy at our local shop says they're rooting, probably for damsel fly nymphs or crawfish. I've caught them with spinning gear but I'd love to hook up with the fly rod

Donhudd
July 6th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I have had carp take a popping bug that I was fishing for bass. It sure is strange to see the round hole of a mouth ingulf your bug. They do put up an admirable fight . The only way I have ever deliberately fished for carp was with a bow and arrow.

nywell
July 7th, 2006, 01:32 PM
The 2 most memorable days fishing were fly fishing for Carp. I was at Raystown Resevoir in Huntington PA and I was in my boat fishing for bass. I saw lots of rises in the bays and since I always keep a fly rod on the boat, I thought I was going to catch schooling bass in the bays.
That summer, there was a locust (cidada) hatch and these things were singing and flying every where. Aparantly they could not fly across the lake and were getting swept by the wind into the coves and bays.
AFter casting a hair bug to the fish and getting several strikes but no hook ups, I switched to a black cork popper about the same size as the locusts. I had to 'match the hatch' to get the fish to take and get hooked up. To my surprise, I caught a carp, about 5-6 pounds, that gave me a terriffic fight. The fish were very cooperative and after 3-4 hours of fighting 1 carp after another, I was too tired to fish any more.
The next day I started out fishing for bass again, but quickly got back into the carl action with the fly rod and cork popper. I had to ice down my elbow after that. Best 2 days fishing, ever!

songdog
July 9th, 2006, 03:54 PM
....poor man's redfish on the fly! absolutely the best time. my two go-to flys are wooly buggers and beadheaded aggravators. cast three to four feet past the carp and twitch them slowly in front. hang on. good luck.

tackscall
July 9th, 2006, 09:01 PM
....poor man's redfish on the fly! absolutely the best time. my two go-to flys are wooly buggers and beadheaded aggravators. cast three to four feet past the carp and twitch them slowly in front. hang on. good luck.

Any color preference on the buggers? the water is always muddy

tcooll77
July 9th, 2006, 09:22 PM
i use a stick bait....aka fiberglass muuzzy !!:wink:

tackscall
July 9th, 2006, 09:28 PM
i use a stick bait....aka fiberglass muuzzy !!:wink:

LOL I would love to but I think someone who lives on the pond may have bought them and put them in there

tcooll77
July 10th, 2006, 12:53 AM
aha do you know if they are grass carp or common carp

warped Arrow
July 10th, 2006, 01:17 AM
I do a good bit of fly fishing and the best things I have found for carp are Woolly Buggers and Mini Crazy Charlies. I tie all my own so i can match them to the water I am fishing. I mainly use black for stained water, add a little flash and hang on!! Also dont rule out beetles for summer carp and panfish. Bully Spiders work well also. need any more info, PM me.

tackscall
July 10th, 2006, 07:24 AM
I don't know what kind of carp they are

tcooll77
July 11th, 2006, 11:33 AM
http://http://www.arkive.org/media/EDDEEE37-115E-41D9-A809-37C7DF37BD74/Presentation.Large/%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09 large-Common-carp-feeding-at-surface.jpg

that will take your fly
but from what iknow grass carp wont because they are vegetarians
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages. search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fim ages%3Fp%3Dgrass%2Bcarp%26ei%3 DUTF-8%26fr%3DFP-tab-img-t%26x%3Dwrt&w=250&h=195&imgurl=espn.go.com%2Fwinnercom m%2Foutdoors%2Fgeneral%2Fi%2FP 2_g_col_sutton_carp_slam2.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fespn.go.com% 2Foutdoors%2Fgeneral%2Fcolumns %2Fsutton_keith%2F1826123.html&size=18.6kB&name=P2_g_col_sutton_carp_slam 2.jpg&p=grass+carp&type=jpeg&no=18&tt=2,306&ei=UTF-8

tcooll77
July 11th, 2006, 11:36 AM
try it and find out then

Paul S.
July 11th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Just like the other guys said, dark colored nymphs, Wooly buggers, and crawfish immatators. Sit one of those in front of a tailing carp and hang on! Use a fairly heavy rod too with a large arbor reel, you going to need a lot of backing. I've always used a 9wt for them, even a small one can wear you out on a lesser rod. I do have a 5wt that I've thought about trying to land one on, but I really don't know if it could be done.

cory691989
July 11th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I have had carp take a popping bug that I was fishing for bass. It sure is strange to see the round hole of a mouth ingulf your bug. They do put up an admirable fight . The only way I have ever deliberately fished for carp was with a bow and arrow.

me and my bro used to live on a big lake lots of carp it was sand for about 50 yards out and at the same time of the day we go out with can of corn and throw some in the water and some on a jig and they come and pick it up its a blast i puled a 15 pounder out once it was an amazing fight>>>lol

tackscall
July 11th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I'll be out there again tonight giving it a shot. I'm using my 9 weight steelhead setup and I look ridiculous to the neighbors when I pull a four inch bluegill out every other cast:embara:

Hoyt X tec
January 15th, 2007, 04:22 PM
i have caught a few carp on accident while fishing for bluegil. I was using a beadhead caddis pupa.

tcooll77
January 22nd, 2007, 12:33 PM
did you end up catching any carp they put up a huge fight

tackscall
January 22nd, 2007, 07:17 PM
Not a one but I'll give it a try again this spring

dpomp1
January 22nd, 2007, 08:50 PM
I've tried fly fishing not my thing though

Mulder
January 23rd, 2007, 05:06 PM
What questions do you have??

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/Mulder77/Ryansfirst.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/Mulder77/Big_one.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/Mulder77/RyanCarpon.jpg

tackscall
January 23rd, 2007, 05:44 PM
I just moved into a house near a retention pond that has a lot of carp. I'd like to hook up with my fly rod, any fly/presentation advice? In the evenings they seem to be digging near the bank.

Nice fish, looks like a blast

Mulder
January 24th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Ok, the carp you are going to target are the ones that are "digging" by the banks. They are feeding and will be in a tail up, nose down posture. Most of the time they will be working up a pretty good cloud of mud to. I have had it where the cloud was so big you couldn't see the carp in it.

Presentation, this is huge!!! Give them far more credit then what you would for any trout!! The only difference is when spooked, carp will either investigate, or just plain stop eating. When I say investigate I mean they will swim right up to you and look at what you are and then go back to where they feeding and do nothing. If this happens, GIVE UP. Go and find a new pod of fish. In the early years I have made perfect cast to spooked carp for over an hour w/o even a second glance. When fishing from a boat you will have to keep a low profile. In the Grand Traverse Bay where boats are often anchored in the shallows, fishing from a boat is possible. If there isn't may boats where you are don't bother. The will see you and investigate.:mad: Your target is about the size of a hula hoop in front of the fish. To close and you will spook them to far and they may take a different route. Get good at casting 70-100ft. at this distance if I don't screw up I usually get bit on the first cast. Stelth is very important to. A hard thump on shore or even an empty beer can hitting the bottom of the boat has caused fish I was targeting to go looking for the source of the sound.

Flies, do a yahoo search on carp flies. If you are looking to tie your own I have several patterens that I could send you pics of that have caught lots!! Mainly most of my patterns come from saltwater patterns or bonefish flies. So start their. 75% of my carp flies are tied hook point up to reduce the number of snags.

Here are a couple of examples:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/Mulder77/Officialsponser.jpg

If you do all of the above right I go with a hand twist retrieve. Just crawl you fly along the bottom. Carp will take a fly very, very, very soft. As soon as you feel tension set the hook. Watch your line, most of the time you won't even feel a take, but you line will start to straighten out. Take your time, can't say that I have had a large number of droped flies. Once a carp takes the will usually hold on.

tackscall
January 24th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the detailed instruction, I'll be giving it a try in the Spring