PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Life 06 Bow test says Tribute noisy?

elksniper
July 11th, 2006, 04:34 PM
I'm on the verge of buying a 70-80# Tribute. I only archery hunt elk and figure I should be able to push a 400gr arrow at or above 300fps, giving huge KE in the upper 70's with the Tribute set up at 80#.

I just received my latest issue of Outdoor Life and it has the Tribute rated 5th overall behind 1. Switchback XT 2. Trykon XT 3. Darton Marauder and 4. Elite Archery E-Force KE. What drug it down in the rankings is that it was the second loudest of all. It was towards the top in the other three factors; Design, Price/Value and was #1 in speed at 323.95fps (almost 22fps faster than the Matthews) In regards to the noise, they said "...On the bright side, an arrowed animal won't know what hit, given the bow's speed. This bow will peel pain off shutters, it's just that fast."

I had pretty much settled on the Tribute because they offer a model up to 80#'s. I know, I know slower bows will do the job, but I'm only hunting elk, which are categorically tougher than any deer & I want to get that extra UMPH and still keep my arrow flying rather flat, as there is a lot of opportunity for long shots with the wide-open Colorado area I hunt. My current bow is set at 70#'s and I can shoot it all day. The only target shooting I do is to practice for hunting season, so 3D opinions don't apply.

What are some comments/opinions about the Tribute and it's noise? I figure that maybe the "they'll never hear it" statement may be true & could live with the noise if it doesn't affect anything. I'm more concerned about the noise on say a 40 yard shot, where there could still be time for the big boy to start moving out. I'm sure it's negated down near 20 yards, but what are your opinions on long shots?

Anyone have one set at 80#'s and can contribute some fps figures for different arrow weights?

Meleagris1
July 11th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Outdoor life does a decent job at testing these bows, but if they don't receive them perfectly tuned, they won't try and tune them. What you see is what you get. Maybe they got a bow that needed some work? Maybe something wasn't tight? Not sure, but I have shot quite a few Tributes and "noisy" is not the way I would describe them. They are fast, smooth and accurate.

I have been getting OL since I was 14, I will check out the test. Glad to see an Elite in there.

Techy
July 11th, 2006, 04:53 PM
First off if you are shooting an 80# Tribute you will probably have more KE than just "upper 70's" (unless your draw is real short, hence not very fast).

Second, the Tribute is one of the quietest bows made. I have had both XT and Trykon owners tell me my bow was possibly the quietest they have heard.

The Tribute is not noisy period!!!!!!!!!

I would have to read the article, but how did they measure the noise? Hopefully they used a decible meter and fired every bow at the same distance from the meter. And hopefully every bow was the same poundage, drawlength, shot with same arrow, shot with same rest, etc.

If they did all these things, then I would ask if the bow or assecories had something loose.

For the most part the XT and Tribute are about the exact same as far as noise is concerned. I thought the Trykon was a touch noisier, but I didn't hear it shot with the same setup as the XT and Tribute.

All in all the Tribute is not noisey, and I think almost everyone would agree.

Also, maybe all the bows were super quiet and there was little to no difference between them. I don't know, I didn't read the article.

Shoot the bow for yourself. You'll see.:wink:

Techy
July 11th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Anyone have one set at 80#'s and can contribute some fps figures for different arrow weights?

My buddy shoots an 80# Tribute at 29.5" draw with the fast mods and an arrow at about 400 grains. He shoots right around 320 fps. And it is almost silent.:)

Setup includes Muzzy Zero Effect rest, Vital Bow Gear Proslide sight, string loop, catwiskers (tied and trimmed to half dollar size and placed at ends of string), and tru-peep.

P.S. As far as a 40 yard shot, you'll be just fine, as long as you can do your part. :)

Lien2
July 11th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I've only shot a Tribute a few times and didn't think it was noisy at all. But the draw cycle...................holy harshness! :eek:

Lien2

TnScott
July 11th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I don't own a Bowtech ,but I wouldn't put too much faith in an article from Outdoor Life in choosing a bow or from a website for that matter . Shoot the bow , and decide for yourself .

Matt / PA
July 11th, 2006, 05:07 PM
http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/equipment/2006headtohead/

Go figure? The Bowsite.com testers thought the Tribute was the quietest?:confused:
Maybe they had a loose mod screw or something I don't know but the Tribute is anything but noisy even with the "fast" mods.

L-train
July 11th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I'm on the verge of buying a 70-80# Tribute. I only archery hunt elk and figure I should be able to push a 400gr arrow at or above 300fps, giving huge KE in the upper 70's with the Tribute set up at 80#.

I just received my latest issue of Outdoor Life and it has the Tribute rated 5th overall behind 1. Switchback XT 2. Trykon XT 3. Darton Marauder and 4. Elite Archery E-Force KE. What drug it down in the rankings is that it was the second loudest of all. It was towards the top in the other three factors; Design, Price/Value and was #1 in speed at 323.95fps (almost 22fps faster than the Matthews) In regards to the noise, they said "...On the bright side, an arrowed animal won't know what hit, given the bow's speed. This bow will peel pain off shutters, it's just that fast."

I had pretty much settled on the Tribute because they offer a model up to 80#'s. I know, I know slower bows will do the job, but I'm only hunting elk, which are categorically tougher than any deer & I want to get that extra UMPH and still keep my arrow flying rather flat, as there is a lot of opportunity for long shots with the wide-open Colorado area I hunt. My current bow is set at 70#'s and I can shoot it all day. The only target shooting I do is to practice for hunting season, so 3D opinions don't apply.

What are some comments/opinions about the Tribute and it's noise? I figure that maybe the "they'll never hear it" statement may be true & could live with the noise if it doesn't affect anything. I'm more concerned about the noise on say a 40 yard shot, where there could still be time for the big boy to start moving out. I'm sure it's negated down near 20 yards, but what are your opinions on long shots?

Anyone have one set at 80#'s and can contribute some fps figures for different arrow weights?Remember those are the best bows out there, the difference in noise will not be much at all.
I have a E-500 that put out 79.5#KE at 71# draw and 27.5"DL with the e-suppressor on it its is as quiet as my 05 Swback. So if your after KE I would look at other models like the alliegence and E-500 and a turbo tec or supertec! and keep shootin 70# , a bit easier to hold at full draw for a couple minutes while that 6x6 gets in the open.
Good luck on your season and decision.
Oh and if you live in Co and want to try the elite, pm me Ill let ya try her out, Im fairly sure shes the only one in Colo. Not positive though.

Hotyman
July 11th, 2006, 05:08 PM
with all the experts and adds and steryotypes, I say buy what YOU the purchaser like, not some dude, or add or informercial. I personally shoot a 2004 Ultra Tec, I shoot 78 lbs, 26" beaman ICS 400 arrows tipped with 100 GR muzzys. 78 ft lbs KE, 308 FPS, and let me tell you when I am in a silent woods and you can hear a frog fart, my bow sounds like a .22 rifle going off. (However) with a unaware animal, head down or looking away there is no chance it will jump the string. I have had caribou at 60 yards looking at me broadside and I drill em, plus by the time the animal hears the noise, it's wondering why it has a pain in it's heart or chest cavity and is running like hell.. So i say, get what you like, get what feels right, get what you feel comfortable shooting, forget the hype and git-r-done...:darkbeer:

buckfeverben
July 11th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I agree, the Tribute is a great bow, and far from Noisy. Of all the new bows I've shot this year, that's the one I would buy if I had the extra cash.

But think about it this way....out of all the bows they tested, what was the difference in decibels from loudest to quietest? I haven't read the article...but I'm doubting it was more than 10 decibels and that's a high estimate. Now, and Elk, deer, or any other wild animal is likely still going to hear any bow you shoot....and a small difference in noise is not likely going to make your break you. Buy whatever bow you like best!

Rabbit
July 11th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Tribute is not a loud shooting bow at all. I shoot a 400gr arrow at 71#'s with a 28" draw at 295fps. So you should be well over 300fps with an 80# bow.

I aslo shot the Trykon and Switchback before I bought a bow and the Tribute won out overall IMHO.

Beware of tuning issues with the Switchback if you go that route...I've heard about a lot of trouble with tuning that bow.

Dub
July 11th, 2006, 06:39 PM
The day I returned home with my Old Glory I found two loose cam module scerws. They were causing a little buzz. It quieted down nicely after tightening them.

mdewitt71
July 11th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I have saw bows read higher in decibels on a sound scale that were still quieter to my ears than others bow models.....does it make sense???
I dont know, but I can tell you I have saw it with my own eyes....(or do I mean ears).
IMO, listen to em for yourself and be the judge.

Look at the bowsite.com tests and look at the decibel readings then check the bows out for yourselft :wink:

elksniper
July 11th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Just as I figured - many helpful comments & quick. I've not read anything bad about the Tribute, except by guys with Matthews XT in their signature. I had not heard much about it being loud, so I was surprised at the Outdoor Life test. You guys are confirming what I thought.

Just so you know, here are a few of the readings they gave in decibels, as well as fps. Bows were set up to typical standards -70#, 30 draw:

Tribute 323.95fps!!!!!!/93dB
Matthews XT 302.5 at 87.97
Trykon 306.5 at 87.91
Darton Marauder 292.3 at 85.10 (this was the quietest of all 18)
Elite E-Force 323.8, no noise listing, but it had 2*, where the
Tibute only had one

As I look at it, now it seems the 8dB's is about the level of a knat fart. Maybe I should stick with 70#, as I respect the importance of holding time for the right shot. I've also learned that maybe I should check out the Elite as well (It retails for $100 less than the rest to boot, $639).

I may take you up on that offer L-Train, PM on the way.

Can you guys answer some questions for me? I've been hunting since wee years, but just recently picked back up a bow (Parker UltraLite 35 at 70# - loud, slow, not happy. 265fps w/361 grain stick) again after years of rifle hunting. It's time to up the challenge, not to mention increase my time in the field.

-Is it really worth it to got to an 80# draw over 70# to get more KE?
-I've heard that a bow set towards the top of it's poundage shoots better. Is this true? If not, I could get the 70-80 Tribute and experiment.
-What are the performance differences between setting letoff at 65% vs 80%, i.e. 70# at 65% letoff vs. 80# at 80%?

The strength is still there from years of power lifting (albeit covered up by a little post-marriage bliss) & am easily able to pull a 70#, so I'm not too worried about the 80#. However, I just want to know if I'm better off with a 70# that I can hold longer and still gives some serious umph, or should I go to an 80# and really wack the crap out of them?

Thanks again for all the help.

Adam

elksniper
July 11th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Oh yeah, can anyone compare the Alligiance vs. the Tribute? I hear nothing, but good things about them. Why consider the Alligiance?

Pdoughertymu
July 11th, 2006, 08:07 PM
which bows were tested? and what were all of the results?

elksniper
July 11th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Sorry, man. There's a lot of info. I just got my issue in the mail yesterday, so it's probably on the shelves . All the majors had one bow in the test.

BAIpigsticker
July 11th, 2006, 08:28 PM
My Tribute is quiet enough for me, I will be field testing Oct.1. Outdoor Life has changed a ton over the years. They are becoming more like Maxim than a Outdoors magazine to me. I find better answers/opinions here on AT than Outdoor Life even thought about printing when it comes to archery.:secret:

Xtecera
July 11th, 2006, 08:39 PM
I shot a Tribute before I bought my Allegiance, smooth and quiet. The Bowtech is faster than my Hoyt, and my Hoyt made more "noise" (if you want to call it that) with heavier 378gr arrows. I could hear a noticeable increase in sound; in the Hoyt; between the 415gr arrows I have and the 378's. Which did nothing to save the lives of everything I shot with it. NO animal moved a muscle until the arrow was out the other side of them. So, I'm wondering just what constitutes ENOUGH sound to matter??? At any rate ... if the Bowtech is quieter, and the Hoyt startled no animal ... logically ...

I'd Buy your Tribute with confidence :shade:

Slidellkid
July 11th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Like others, I have shot the Tribute and also the Switchback. Both were very smooth (the Tribute had the fast mods and I could not believe how smooth it was) and both were very quiet. I would have to give a slight edge to the Switchback, but as both were so close in noise I would choose the Tribute every time. Also remember, Bowtechs come with pretty decent strings and from what I have heard you would probably be inclined to replace the Mathews strings. All in all you should probably shoot the Tribute to make sure it's for you.

ZA206
July 11th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Don't know your draw length, but I'm a big guy (6'-1" and 240#, used to weight lift) and could easily handle an 80 or 90# bow, no sweat.

That said, I have a 70# Tribute (drawing 29"). I also shoot a 470 grain arrow at OVER 280 fps..... that give me 82 ft-lbs of KE!:eek: I have the speed mods, and it's quiet as a mouse and draws like butter.... it's unreal. Most accurate and easy bow I've ever shot. Oh yea.... ain't no elk holding my arrow unless I hit him in the shoulder. :wink:

I'm going elk hunting this Sept. in CO and I have no doubts that my rig is "overkill" for taking an elk.:tongue:

-ZA

Just as I figured - many helpful comments & quick. I've not read anything bad about the Tribute, except by guys with Matthews XT in their signature. I had not heard much about it being loud, so I was surprised at the Outdoor Life test. You guys are confirming what I thought.

Just so you know, here are a few of the readings they gave in decibels, as well as fps. Bows were set up to typical standards -70#, 30 draw:

Tribute 323.95fps!!!!!!/93dB
Matthews XT 302.5 at 87.97
Trykon 306.5 at 87.91
Darton Marauder 292.3 at 85.10 (this was the quietest of all 18)
Elite E-Force 323.8, no noise listing, but it had 2*, where the
Tibute only had one

As I look at it, now it seems the 8dB's is about the level of a knat fart. Maybe I should stick with 70#, as I respect the importance of holding time for the right shot. I've also learned that maybe I should check out the Elite as well (It retails for $100 less than the rest to boot, $639).

I may take you up on that offer L-Train, PM on the way.

Can you guys answer some questions for me? I've been hunting since wee years, but just recently picked back up a bow (Parker UltraLite 35 at 70# - loud, slow, not happy. 265fps w/361 grain stick) again after years of rifle hunting. It's time to up the challenge, not to mention increase my time in the field.

-Is it really worth it to got to an 80# draw over 70# to get more KE?
-I've heard that a bow set towards the top of it's poundage shoots better. Is this true? If not, I could get the 70-80 Tribute and experiment.
-What are the performance differences between setting letoff at 65% vs 80%, i.e. 70# at 65% letoff vs. 80# at 80%?

The strength is still there from years of power lifting (albeit covered up by a little post-marriage bliss) & am easily able to pull a 70#, so I'm not too worried about the 80#. However, I just want to know if I'm better off with a 70# that I can hold longer and still gives some serious umph, or should I go to an 80# and really wack the crap out of them?

Thanks again for all the help.

Adam

PeterM
July 11th, 2006, 10:28 PM
I would consider the tribute I shoot and itís set at 80lbs the quietest 80lb bow I have ever shot!

Its even quieter that most 70lbs bows Iíve shot!

jkm97
July 11th, 2006, 11:50 PM
The only bow I have ever seen that is quieter than the Tribute is the Switchback and possibly the Alleg. But the difference between all of them is very small. The Tribute is not loud if set up correctly.

PABowhunt4life
July 12th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Well, take this from a Mathews guy who isn't really a big fan of Bowtech lol.....

I have shot and played with the Tribute and it is a SWEET bow. I won't say why I didn't and won't own one because I don't want to start a bash thread accidentally lol, but the one I played with was anything but noisy.

sean
July 12th, 2006, 12:25 AM
burn the magazine racks boycott the magazine send death threats to the editors you have picked on the wrong bunch of bow lackeys favorite manufacturer .......LOL

CHAMPION2
July 12th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I have shot the Tribute. Very dead in the hand, and quiet. The draw cycle of the smooth mods is night and day over the speed mods in my opinion.

Daniel Boone
July 12th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Im a Mathews shooter and its as quiet as a Switchback.

Nice bow

Tim/OH
July 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM
My Tribute is far from being noisy......real quiet and dead in the hand.:)

Tim

BareBack Jack
July 12th, 2006, 03:05 PM
I gues I'm the odd man out,I find the Tribute to have a liitle more vibration to it than my SB.But all that a side I'm happy with bow overall and it is quiet.

Elksniper,
I shoot the exact bow you are talking about (80 lb) mine is 81.I bought this bow for elk since thats all I hunt anyway.I get 94ft/lb of KE.
I sent you a pm on specifics.
BBJ

meanv2
July 12th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Oh yeah, can anyone compare the Alligiance vs. the Tribute? I hear nothing, but good things about them. Why consider the Alligiance?
I have both and to me they are both quiet. The Allegiance a tad faster. If I had to give up one? Well I can't answer that. I would shoot them both. They are 2 of the best bows available today.:)

DougR
July 12th, 2006, 03:35 PM
It is really not important to me, as to which bow is quietest or fastest. I feel all of the modern bows are pretty sweet. Speed-wise, we are still pushing an arrow off a string and it is at least one half the speed of the slowest firearm.
I am posting the link of anther bow test done by Bowsite in June.Just some more gristle for everyone to chew on.
http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/equipment/2006headtohead/

Doug

PABowhunt4life
July 12th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I gues I'm the odd man out,I find the Tribute to have a liitle more vibration to it than my SB.But all that a side I'm happy with bow overall and it is quiet.

You're not the odd man out bud, vibration is the main reason I rank the Tribute behind a Mathews still, I just didn't type it earlier because I didn't want to be the guy that fired the first shot lol :D

Jerry/NJ
July 12th, 2006, 04:05 PM
I have both and to me they are both quiet. The Allegiance a tad faster. If I had to give up one? Well I can't answer that. I would shoot them both. They are 2 of the best bows available today.:)

Same here ! The Tribute is very quiet!

The overall weight of the arrow a person shoots has a lot to do with how you perceive noise, vibes, etc.

mdbowhunter
July 12th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I don't shoot nearly as much poundage (55#) as the rest of you guys. But compared to previous hunting bows set to the same poundage, the Tribute ranks as the quietest and most shock free bow I have ever shot.

Epinepherine
July 12th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Amen.

I'd take either one (and in fact, I did) in a second. The Tribute's as quiet as they come. And there is no vibration (ever notice it's always "someone else's" bow that's supposedly ear splintering and full of arm shaking, bone crunching vibration on this forum?).

Elksniper. Take what you read in Outdoor Life, Bowsite.com, and especially here with a grain of salt.

scfletch
July 12th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I'm glad to read this post...
I really want to shoot beside somebody who owns one...
All I've ever heard is that they're as loud as a firecracker...

As many of yall that say they're quiet...

I don't put much stock in Outdoor Life anyway...

Orions_Bow
July 12th, 2006, 04:53 PM
reviews are always subjective, try one yourself & see what you like. What may be silent to me mayn not be to you.

DougR
July 12th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Take what you read in Outdoor Life, Bowsite.com, and especially here with a grain of salt
Gee I though the Bowsite test was very fair and did not show any bias. Bows, much like cars, really come down to personal taste and perceived value and dollars one can spend. I have been shooting a long time and have seen many bow companies raise to the number one spot... it seems to me no one stays there forever and many of the old top 10 are gone or way down the ladder. Really the only bow company who always seems to stay status quo is Martin. They are never number one but they are always around and produce a consistent product. No I am not a Martin shooter now... but I still own a couple Martin bows.:wink:
Doug

PAKraig
July 13th, 2006, 03:40 PM
My buddy shoots an 80# Tribute at 29.5" draw with the fast mods and an arrow at about 400 grains. He shoots right around 320 fps. And it is almost silent.:)

Setup includes Muzzy Zero Effect rest, Vital Bow Gear Proslide sight, string loop, catwiskers (tied and trimmed to half dollar size and placed at ends of string), and tru-peep.

P.S. As far as a 40 yard shot, you'll be just fine, as long as you can do your part. :)

Techy,

Although I'm not an elk hunter, at least not in the foreseeable future, I am planning on buying, or at least ordering, the exact same bow as elksniper, within the next week and a half. I'm curious as to "your buddy's" setup, and some of the specifics, if you know them offhand. I don't want to hijack the thread though, so if you want to PM me, that's fine, otherwise, elksniper may find the same information helpful.

What arrows is he using? I'm figuring on going with GoldTip Pro Hunter 75/95s, but I'd be open to other options if your buddy is having good luck with something else. Also considered the new Maxima Hunter 350s from Carbon Express.

I'm planning on shooting the 70-80 lb. limbs at 75 lbs. From experience, will this have an adverse effect on the bows overall performance?

Anything else you feel may be relevant about your buddy's setup would be most appreciated.

Kraig

Dchiefransom
July 14th, 2006, 12:58 AM
I got home from work today and that magazine was in the mail. The noise level was measured with a meter, and the bows were shot mechanically. Everything was done to be consistent. The Switchback XT came out 6 decibels quieter than the Tribute. Draw in a very big breath, now open your mouth wide and exhale, without trying to blow it out. That noise you almost don't hear is probably about 6 decibels.

MMMB
July 14th, 2006, 07:30 AM
When I shot the SB XT and the Tribute. The SB XT is quieter and a little more dead in the hand, however, it's also slower. The old trade off goes into play, if you have a faster bow odds are it will be a bit noisier.....however, to me it's nonsense. The tribute is a nice shooter, I shot it side by side with the Allegiance and it seemed more quiet and shock free than that. All I did was put an STS on my Allegiance and it's as quiet as my SB, much faster though.

For the record, I do plan on buying a Tribute or Elite in the future they are nice bows and loaded up with heavy hunting arrows will shoot quiet and still produce decent speed.......that's what I like!

bornagain
July 14th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I own a Trykon and a Tribute super tuned by Michael Carter, when set at the same weight, DL and arrow they are between 2-3fps of each other, noise wise the Trykon hands down is more quiet. The Tribute is slightly quieter than my Allegiance which has also been super tuned. Doesn't bother me what magazines say or how they test bows, we test bows at my work as well so I get to see for myself. I want the best equipment for me and it does't matter what flavor it is or if it's the most popular. There are a lot of great bows out now but not all of them fit everyones style.

elksniper
July 14th, 2006, 07:33 PM
What? Love between Bowtech and Matthews (and Hoyt) owners? This can't be. Anyways, I've learned a lot from this thread. To me it comes to this:
Comparing apples to apples; each manufacture is striving to out do the other, so there are going to be some things that one does better than the other, but the reality is, all are nice bows, do their job well and make people proud about what they shoot - nothing wrong with that.

elksniper
July 14th, 2006, 07:37 PM
What? Love between Bowtech and Matthews (and Hoyt) owners? This can't be<g>. Anyways, I've learned a lot from this thread & it is appreciated. To me it comes to this:

Comparing apples to apples; each manufacture is striving to out do the other, so there are going to be some things that one does better than the other, but the reality is; all are nice bows, do their job well and make people proud about what they shoot - nothing wrong with that.

More opinions welcome...

gaswamp
July 16th, 2006, 06:59 AM
wonder why the bowsite test did not include a Darton.

Chupacabras
July 16th, 2006, 08:03 AM
I was shooting and watching /listening to others shoot indoors with Switchback XT/ Tribute/ Elite. The Switchback and Tribute were both very quiet with the Elite being slightly louder. But the Elite was barebow with nothing on the string, the Mathews had the string suppressors with cat wiskers, the Tribute had the hush kit. They are all nice bows.

Elk in CO
July 16th, 2006, 09:19 AM
I think the noise level is going to depend on the weight of the arrow. I am shooting an Allegiance at 70# with a 416gr arrow and it has an acceptable noise level. I would prefer my arrow weight to be around 425gr, but I don't wnat to shoot an arrow any longer than I have to. GT 7595's at 28.5" with 125gr ST's and they're going 284 fps. When I dropped back to 100gr target tips I can get 294 through the chronny, but the noise goes up. I have the Sims string leeches too. I think at 425gr, it would be very quiet.

You might find a 400gr arrow on an 80# bow is too noisy for your liking.

I killed my first Elk in '85 with a Fred Bear Whitetail Hunter at 50# with 30" 2216 Aluminums. You could opt for the 70# and still have plenty of speed and KE, and be able to hold it longer without pulling your shoulder out. I used to shoot High Countrys with the round wheels at 87# and 92#, I won't go back to a bow over 70# cause there's no need to.

deadquiet
July 16th, 2006, 11:57 AM
ANYONE that thinks an arrows speed will beat a deer’s reaction has all ready discredited themselves to me. Here’s your sign!

sean
July 16th, 2006, 12:23 PM
only a hard core bow lackey could argue with a decibel meter

3B43
July 16th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I own two of the bows tested (Ross 334 & Illusion) and my hunting buddy owns an XT. The overall seemed funny(?!?) as the testers really harped on SPEED/SPEED/SPEED, which is NOT a big concern for me. My 'slow' 334 is shooting a 436 grn ACC/Montec combo @ 278 fps, which is 2 fps slower than my Illusion. IMHO that is plenty for elk and anything I'm gonna hunt! The 'marketing dept's' have really convince many archers that SPEED is the beginning and end for bow hunters! How about accuracy/ease of draw/ easy to shoot/HUNTING SKILLS/etc.

cvitech2
July 18th, 2006, 01:33 PM
I just purchased an alligiance this week and love it, it is my 3rd bowtech. I am not a mathews guy but I must say my friend purchased an XT the same day, and it is so quite I didnt no what to say, my other friend shoots a Trycon and I would have to say my alligiance is really, really quite and its the loudest of the three.

plottman
July 18th, 2006, 03:05 PM
I guess I am different thanothers, but to me the bow tests that outdoor life do are the best in the business. They have actual sound equipment and vibration detecting equipment hooked up on the bows, not just some one saying this one is louder than that one.

Besides, who can argue with bowhunter who is a NASA engineer?

coues hunter
July 18th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I'm shooting a pse vengance at about 82 lbs.IMO the one SB I have shot had a lot of shock. Shock = noise. The SB could have been out of tune? I don't feel any shock or noise with my vengance. If you like it shoot it!

VorTexan
July 18th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Tribute is quiet, the shooter's make the noise.:wink:

Bo Bob
July 18th, 2006, 07:48 PM
The guys I shoot with comment on how quiet my Tribute is. Come to think of it, I've had lots of "quiet" comments on that bow.
It's a shooter as well. I shot half a round of filed archery the other day and they told me I did real well for it being only my 1st time. I was just happy to score the 80 yard target.:wink:
I love my Tribute, but the other bows are good as well.

DUCK29
July 18th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I shoot a switchback because when I was looking for a new bow, I liked it the best, that is what you should do.If I was buying today, I would probably get an xt, just cause it feels good in my hand.I shot the tribute and it is one sweet bow.It is not loud by any means.The difference is barely noticeable in any of the top bows made today.As far as speed, I like to shoot as fast as I can with the bow I like and still get the k.e. I need.No matter how fast the bow is, the deer can react faster. Inside 30 yards, hes gonna hear your bow before the arrow gets to him.Usually it dont matter, he's meat.As far as 80#'s, I dont think you need anywhere near that for elk, but if thats what you want , buy it.Shoot a few different bows, go home , then go back and shoot them again.You'll know which one you want after that.Good Luck:wink:

labrat
July 19th, 2006, 02:19 AM

this month's Field & Stream bow test didn't even include a Bowtech

Jose Boudreaux
July 19th, 2006, 02:21 AM

did they just send some cams???

sean
July 19th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Tribute is quiet, the shooter's make the noise.:wink:

is that the screaming I hear in the woods ? followed by the sound of arrows hitting trees

critter_catcher
July 19th, 2006, 03:36 AM
I figure that maybe the "they'll never hear it" statement may be true & could live with the noise if it doesn't affect anything. I'm more concerned about the noise on say a 40 yard shot, where there could still be time for the big boy to start moving out. I'm sure it's negated down near 20 yards, but what are your opinions on long shots?

Unless your arrow is traveling above the speed of sound(over 900fps at sea level) they will always hear it before they feel it. The longer the distance the more time they have to move. So with this if you are shooting at an amimal 30 yards away with a 300fps arrow the animal will hear the bow when the arrow is only 10 yards off your rest. If they tested the bows with a decibel meter then their findings are accurate or at least were for that day with the particular bows they were shooting. who knows what kind of accessories they had on them.. There had to be something wrong with that tribute if it was 6Db louder that's quite a bit of difference they should have caught that.

johnno
July 19th, 2006, 04:15 AM
My Allegiance shoots a 500+ arrow at 288fps for over 90KE. Its whisper quiet and although we don't have Elk over here.. plently of folk have nailed a cape buffallo (that I suspect my outweigh an Elk) with less KE bows. Shoot em both and see what "floats your boat" You may also find that jumping from a 70# to an 80# bow is a mighty and possibly "painfull" jump :) :)

Daniel Boone
July 19th, 2006, 04:26 AM
I posted on this thread about the Tribute. Well I won my choice of a Bowtech Bow. I picked the Tribute. I went and tested all of them before making my choice and Ill garantee the bows quiet and smooth.:wink:

I wouldnt hesitate to hunt with one. Fast and smooth and quiet. Ill find out if its accurate.:wink:

mtmedic
July 19th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I have personally shot two 80 pound tributes and witnessed a few others out in the range. I guess I just expected an 80 bow to jump and make noise. I was flat wrong. The first shot out of it I wanted the second and third arrow. It was no different than shooting the 60 pounders I have shot... Well with the exception of the hernia I think I got...:wink: Go shoot them yourself and choose the one you like. That is the only way to do it IMO.

Bo Bob
July 19th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I posted on this thread about the Tribute. Well I won my choice of a Bowtech Bow. I picked the Tribute. I went and tested all of them before making my choice and Ill garantee the bows quiet and smooth.:wink:

I wouldnt hesitate to hunt with one. Fast and smooth and quiet. Ill find out if its accurate.:wink:
Interested in what a Mathews man will think about it. Let us know what you think about how accurate it is.

westernhunter
July 19th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I thought the article was good with the exception of all the typeing errors
It looks like they tested a Trycon, but continued to call it a Trycon XT.
No such thing as a Trycon Xt. Xl yes Xt no.

dhayse32
July 19th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Now I know that an Outback is no Switchback but a buddy of mine was a DIEHARD Mathews man and hated the fact that I got a Bowtech. The other day I talked him into going to the Bow Shop with me where he shot both the Allegiance and the Tribute. Within 15 minutes he was taking the stuff off of his Outback and on to a tribute. He said that compared to his Outback, the Tribute was just as smooth and he claimed alittle quieter and a whole lot faster. The bow is in NO WAY loud, and what little noise that the bow made (every bow makes a noise) it was taken care of with an STS.

As far as Bowtech and the other brands go it all comes down to personal preference and loyalty. Some people hate other brands so bad that they will magnify everything possible just to find something wrong.

And as for the Magazine that listed it 5th, I could see a mix b/w the Switchback/Trykon/Tribute but come on 5th?