PDA

View Full Version : Jon Boat Repair

Dodgedude
July 15th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I got a heck of a deal on an old jon boat. But I just discovered a small hole that I missed before I bought it. I have heard there is a filler rod to braze(?) aluminum with propane torch. Got any ideas on where to find this stuff, or is there a better way to go? Hole is on the bow of boat, and might be just above water line.

fn257
July 15th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Ddude, I don't know where to find that rod but I have seen it a hundred times at the local gunshows. There used to be a guy that sold it but I haven't seen him in a while. Part of his demo was some motorcycle part( a cover of some sort) that was aluminum. Mabye if there is a bike shop close to you they might have it or know where to get it. Good luck!!!!!

Mark

mike2112
July 15th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Tow it down to your local welding shop and they will be able to take care of it for 20-30 dollars.

I had the same problem and lucky for me my neighbor is a welder.

Fixed it right up and never leaked again.

Mike

k4deez
July 15th, 2006, 10:59 PM
If it's not too big, say 1\4 inch you can shoot another rivet in it. You can dip the rivet in silicone also for extra protection. You can get the rivets from most boat dealers.

CWarmouth
July 15th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Lowes and Home Depot have those brazing rods. JB Weld works really really good too. I have a fleet of 25 jon boats. I have been making minor repairs to jon boats with JB Weld for years. It works better than anything I have tried.

If you try the brazing rods though, please post your results.

Iabow
July 16th, 2006, 02:38 PM
The stuff I think your talking about is called Alumaloy. Here is a link to it http://www.alumaloy.net/

Dodgedude
July 16th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys. I had thought about using JB Weld, and still might if I can't find the other stuff.

rdneckhntr
July 16th, 2006, 07:56 PM
If it's not too big, say 1\4 inch you can shoot another rivet in it. You can dip the rivet in silicone also for extra protection. You can get the rivets from most boat dealers.

Thats what I had to do to mine. Its never leaked.

robertyb
July 16th, 2006, 08:31 PM
I also use J B Weld. I have one boat that I patched a 6 inch rip in over 25 years ago on and it is still watertight. It is all I use.

streetdoc
July 17th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Cabelas has it

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21276&id=0001390010655a&navCount=5&podId=0001390&parentId=cat21324&navAction=push&catalogCode=IG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21324&hasJS=true