PDA

View Full Version : Who fishes for STRIPER?

Seth the XSlayr
July 20th, 2006, 01:37 PM
We have landlocked ones here... I am more interested in techniques than location, unless of course you are within a couple hour drive of Cincinnati :)

Chicken livers on buck tails, spoons, trolling shad.... I know numerous methods but have not fully utilized the surrounding, striper filled waters I have access to.

Let's hear it!

Slippy Field
July 20th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Before I quit fishing (aka got married) we'd catch them in the lakes first of May usually on top water plugs at dark as they fed on schools of shad at the surface (zara spooks and stuff like that) and in the October we'd catch them down deep on bottom of big 6-8" shad imitating jigs. I've caught smaller ones on chicen liver.

Living on a river, the hybrids can be caught just about all year but I don't really know how to fish for the hybrids other than ripping twisty tails in the rapids.

mdewitt71
July 20th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Stripers and Wipers (white bass hybrids) are BIG here in KS at Milford lake.
Unfortunately my lil pond hopper boat is too small for this lake but I have been told they like to herd shad between the rocky shore lines at evening then other striper come in on the attack.
I have been told a good technique is to throw a shad rap, spook, or similiar lure towards a rocky shoreline (that has a lil depth to it) and work it back to ya at the boat as soon as sun begins to set, till dark.

Seth the XSlayr
July 21st, 2006, 09:41 PM
Those techniques all sound similar to those I have deployed... Sounds like that's the way to do it!

Now all I need is a 25' boat and I'll be hitting the Ohio

KYShooter
July 21st, 2006, 11:26 PM
I usually start off catching the strippers with singles, maybe a fiver every now and then.

Seriously though, we have some nice ones down on lake cumberland, not been recently though, probably catching them on topwater this time of year.

Brown Hornet
July 21st, 2006, 11:42 PM
I fish for them.....Although I haven't caught any in about a month. We had a about a week of heavy rain and the Potomac flooded. But before that I was catching them everyday on Spooks and spinerbaits. If they were around the largemouth didn't have a chance to eat. But I do fish for them alot in saltwater (which won't really help you). But there I just throw bucktails and topwater for the most part. I can't stand trolling. Your best bet is more than likely topwater realy early in the morning and as the sun goes down in the evening, 95% of the ones I catch in freshwater are on topwater baits (mostly spooks) and crankbaits, rattle traps, and the ocassional on on a spinnerbait. But I would suggest a spook, if you find them they can't resist hitting dog out for a walk.:wink:

spec
July 24th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I do the nighttime thing on Lake Cumberland- March thru mid June. Best thing going. Last two years have been off for me.

Seth the XSlayr
July 24th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Yes yes we run red & blue bombers & slivers in Cumberland @ night...

THAT is fishin'! I haven't had any comparable experiences... I am hoping I can replicated it here, closer to home.

Specifically, the Ohio River...

spec
July 24th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Not a sliver fan(but my buddys are). Jointed 5 inch Redfins or a 7" chrome Redfin. Also do well a variety of Mann's baits. If I had to fish daytime I would throw a 5" sassy shad on a 1/2 oz jig head.

robertyb
July 24th, 2006, 08:44 PM
I catch them in the Coosa river near Rome, Ga. by using either live or cut shad on the bottom on a Carolina rig.

the-ghost
July 31st, 2006, 08:05 AM
we catch em in the ocean, my best to date is a hair under 30#. we live line eels, throw surf clams, plugg for em at night, or "chunk" chunking is using fish chunks, bunker or herring and drifting the line.

short-n-fast
July 31st, 2006, 02:22 PM
troll with a deep diving crank 20ft , tie on a cheater line- barrel swivel with a 10 ft leader run it to a zera spook.

when you troll threw a school of striper , they will hit the crank , then they will usually come up with the hooked fish and slam the spook on the surface.

Terp Hunter
August 2nd, 2006, 11:16 PM
I fish the inlet jetties (ocean) at sunset, using Rapala Skitter Pops (mullet color). What blast!!!!! We've caught fish up to 44 inches this way......once you've done that it'stough to have much more fun....while fishing that is.

kc8688
August 10th, 2006, 10:55 AM
My buddy and I live in Tennessee and a Dam is not too far away. Now when the turbines are running, between 4:00 and 6:00 A.M. me and Ryan would catch 15 to 20 stripe over 15 pounds. it was in december and we would throw our chrome on black cordell redfins up stream let them float past us then v-wake them up the shoals and the rocky shallows.

jmillo
August 10th, 2006, 03:55 PM
fishing out of Ct and RI we live line scup, a bluegill shaped saltwater fish up to 16", for the biggest bass.

tackscall
August 10th, 2006, 03:59 PM
My buddy in RI takes me out whenever I'm down there, we usually use plugs around rock piles when there's a good tide and then switch to live lining eels. Good luck

Buksknr53
August 10th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I fish for them.....Although I haven't caught any in about a month. We had a about a week of heavy rain and the Potomac flooded. But before that I was catching them everyday on Spooks and spinerbaits. If they were around the largemouth didn't have a chance to eat. But I do fish for them alot in saltwater (which won't really help you). But there I just throw bucktails and topwater for the most part. I can't stand trolling. Your best bet is more than likely topwater realy early in the morning and as the sun goes down in the evening, 95% of the ones I catch in freshwater are on topwater baits (mostly spooks) and crankbaits, rattle traps, and the ocassional on on a spinnerbait. But I would suggest a spook, if you find them they can't resist hitting dog out for a walk.:wink:

My largest Striper to date was caught on the Potomac. It was caught on a 6 inch flattened piece of chrome hot water tubing with a hole in one end for the line, and another for a treble hook. I was actually bringing in a trout when the Striper grabbed the trout and got hooked right at the boat!

camotoe
January 5th, 2007, 08:45 PM
We have landlocked ones here... I am more interested in techniques than location, unless of course you are within a couple hour drive of Cincinnati :)

Chicken livers on buck tails, spoons, trolling shad.... I know numerous methods but have not fully utilized the surrounding, striper filled waters I have access to.

Let's hear it!
They've got them in Seneca Lake (70 East of Zanesville-30 miles west of Wheeling)

2005Ultramag
January 5th, 2007, 08:55 PM
We have then in a 3,100 acre lake near where I grew up. I caught my first one(6lbs) while fishing for bass along a shoreline on a rattletrap. My next two(both 40", one 22lb, and the other 29lb) caught on a jigging spoon. I took both of them on a medium/heavy bass rod, and 12lb test Trilene XT. They were some long battles!

If you're a live bait fan my brother has taken some nice stripers by fishing live crappie in open, but constricted sections of the lake.

Good luck! They are a BLAST!