PDA

View Full Version : Good all-around canoe?

red44
July 28th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Mostly using it for 2 people with a little gear to fish, but may do weekend trips. NO wild whitewater but some river use as well. Looked at oldtown discovery and camper. Anybody with canoeing experience what's other good all-arounders. The local dealer can get oldtown, winnona, and bell. My experience is honestly pretty limitted, only get in one 1 or 2 times a year to retrive a duck or deer. But it's time to replace the old fibersmashed/patched one. Recomendations???

red44
July 28th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Should add that this is mostly for my 17 yo son who has taken an interest. He's wanting to go with friends up north for a week long trip. A little river but mostly lakes. Has me worried just thinking about it, but I was young once too.

clinometer
July 28th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Old Town Discovery 169. It's kind of heavy but it's very durable. I have a 17' Tripper. Similar design but lighter and more expensive. I also have a Discovery 158, but it's heavy and doesn't track really well.

I've used a Winona Minnesota II and liked that very much. Problem is it's delicate and expensive. The upside it that it is very light (around 45#).

I live near Old Town, so I see tons of used canoes for sale. Check your local buy/sell/swap publication for a deal.

mathews/fish
August 21st, 2006, 06:30 PM
Here is what has gotten me through many a day. Tracks great when alone.
On windy days I have to go to the front seat and paddle to pull it along. Otherwise, the back seat is great.

mathews/fish
August 21st, 2006, 06:33 PM
The reason it tracks so well...
Check out the keel, less than 1/2", but does the job superbly. I have a bad back, with limitations :zip: and am able to manuver this around by myself quite easily. The homemade trailer helps a lot.

Martin Fury
August 22nd, 2006, 07:53 AM

the bottom has an outrigger design that gives it more stability than a canoe, I have a 6hp. evinrude on mine.

souwest_ghillie
August 22nd, 2006, 09:06 AM
Old Town Discovery 169. Probably the best in it's class, unless you want to move up to an expedition boat such as an XL Tripper or Miramichi. But if you're mostly flatwater with a little river-running but you want to be able to carry a load for camping, you would do well to consider a Prospector as well.

red44
August 22nd, 2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks guys, we ended up with an OT Penobscot 16'. My son actually just got back from doing the Allagash up in Maine with it. He did well, a week on the water and he did'nt capsize once. I say he was'nt trying.:wink: