PDA

View Full Version : whats your catfish bait

tcooll77
August 1st, 2006, 07:03 PM
ive got a boat and a river filled with catfish within 20 minutes but dont know wat to catch them on

Droptine4
August 1st, 2006, 07:08 PM
Around here Chicken liver or Sonny's Stink Bait ... :darkbeer: :darkbeer:

bowtechog70
August 1st, 2006, 11:54 PM
hotdogs work great for me.

danceswithbow
August 1st, 2006, 11:58 PM
I usually catch bluegill and cut the head off, gut them and run a hook through the tail, works in Indiana.

EricO
August 2nd, 2006, 12:51 AM
Pretty much anything with guts. In fact, just use the guts.

blindfly69
August 2nd, 2006, 01:25 AM
if im goin after blues or flatheads i'll used shad or bluegill but for channels i stick to worms and livers

RoccoB
August 2nd, 2006, 10:31 AM
Shirmp. large

rdneckhntr
August 2nd, 2006, 06:29 PM
Well.....

Chicken liver
Bluegill
Nightcrawlers
Bread/Peanutbutter/Syrup
Stinkbaits
Minnows

I have used anything and everything...:wink:

whiskey
August 2nd, 2006, 09:23 PM
Channel cats eat livers better than anything.

blue thunder
August 2nd, 2006, 10:18 PM
Cut bait or Doc's catfish bait with blood added.

reflxshtr
August 2nd, 2006, 11:07 PM
if ya want big flatheads run live bluegill or stripers with a small slit in there belly, just enough to get a little stink but not to kill them, big flatheads like them alive. don't hook them too deep though because your hook will need to rip out of the bluegill when you set the hook. i always run my hook right behind there dorsal fin. i usually cut some of it off to make it tender so the hook will come out and into the cat and also when the cat bites down the bluegill will tense up and there fin will catch the inside of there mouth helping you rip the hook out and into there mouth on the strike,think about it.

now if you want channels or blue cats run the stinkiest stuff you can find. i like the usual, chicken liver, etc. i tell ya what though they also like turkey bacon fried up and it stays on the hook a long time and is cheap to buy. i also like to take crawdads, put them on the hook and step on them. if you can get your hands on some skip jack or hering or shad then you got the real deal. thats t-bones to a catfish. i usually catch skipjack around the local dams with spoons, and pick up a few walleye, but i eat the walleye.

also this time of year use your depth finder and fish the edge of the river channel right were it drops off, run your bait on the upper edge. on the ohio river here i like 19ft of water for channel cats with a drop off into maybe 30-40 ft into the main channel. for flatheads i run the edge the same way till i find a hole outside the main river channel. you can drift fish the main channel but its a pain. if you find a hole outside the channel,near shore, you got it. this time of year they run for the cooler water. run a polimer knot with a slip sinker, i usually run a couple to make more noise and attract them easier , and hang on to your pool. between 5 and 10 pm is the best time for cats i think, slowing way off at 11pm and usually not starting up again till 3am. i have caught a couple at 1am and won tornaments but not a great time. my main action is between 9 and 10pm.hope this helps!

if your wondering, i really like to catfish!!!!!!!!!

deerkiller012
August 2nd, 2006, 11:08 PM
I use cut blue gill or cut shad

tcooll77
August 2nd, 2006, 11:52 PM
thanks guys

buckhunter8905
August 2nd, 2006, 11:58 PM
I think the best bait all around is good old fashioned nightcrawlers. You have to put like 2 or 3 on the hook.Not the ones you buy in the store, the "canadians" but the ones that are local to your area. that means its gonna take a little diggin but its worth it. Fishing the mississippi my buddys dad cought a 51lb flathead like this, I watched it all. For limb and trot lines cant beat small bluegill.

acehunter
August 3rd, 2006, 01:53 AM
hey tcool77 we havnt gone fishing or scouting forever i was actually thinking of doing that catfish thing let me know when you can go.....

tcooll77
August 3rd, 2006, 12:35 PM
ya i want to go too

MNmike
August 3rd, 2006, 02:32 PM
Live leopard frogs.

dodgensince74
August 3rd, 2006, 02:59 PM
blue gills, worms or hot dogs work great for me.

Brown Hornet
August 4th, 2006, 01:52 PM
if ya want big flatheads run live bluegill or stripers

I a pretty sure that it is against the lay to fish with striper.

Fresh shad (fresh being the important part), herring, clam snouts, & liver in that order are my favorites. My biggest to date is about 60 lbs. But I caught one about a month ago that was pushing 35-40lbs on a crankbait. I also have been wearing them out all summer on 1/4-1/2 oz spinner baits, willow leaf, white/chartruese & chartruese. :wink:

Team Hoyt PA
August 4th, 2006, 09:21 PM
We use chicken liver for the cats around here.
Tried dip baits, shrimp, hotdogs, doughballs of all scents and types and the liver out performs them all!!!!

Never used cut bait though.

ARCHERYSNOB
August 7th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Dough balls are fun to make, sometimes garlic,other times strawberry jello mix,,put some on a snelled hook,or treble and drop it to the bottom. I like to throw something stinky in the water also, as chum, such as chopped up hotdogs(marinated in garlic).

or just pieces of ivory soap.

big scores
August 7th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Cut bait or Doc's catfish bait with blood added.
works for me.
blue gill for flat head
cut bait (chubs) and stink bait for channel cats.

H2O Mellon
August 8th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Ah.... something I know about! :)

For Flatheads:
Live Bluegills, Large Goldfish, Live Rockbass, Like Smallies, Live Largemouth, Live Shad..... sometimes cut shad too

For Channels:
Cut Shad, Cut Shad, Cut Shad, Cut Shad, Cut Shad

For Blues: (we dont have them in my area)
But..... the #1 Blue Cat bait is SKIPJACK, if you can find it. :rolleyes:

H2O Mellon
August 8th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Oh yea, I almost forgot, be sure to check your states rules & regs are lot sof states differ in what is considered legal & illegal bait.

Catch, Photo, Release all trophy cats!

BuckmyBass
August 9th, 2006, 05:46 PM
I catfish alot. I mean alot 2 -3 times a week. I have learned alot. So try this if ya want to catch some cats.

Flathead- 80% of time on bottom, they prefer live bait- Bluegills, crappie, bass, shad, but the all time best is Bullhead or yellow bellies. They have 1 fin on each side that is vary sharp so clip it off. I've won alot of $$ on these baits.

Bluecats- 75% suspended they love dead bait and stinky bait like shad, skip Jack ary well known for catching big blues. Chubs and Shiners work dead too.

Channels- Cut shad in small peices or stripes thats all you need for them.
If they don't hit that then they are not going to hit.

My name is John and I have been catfishing for 10 yrs. I have won contest after contest. Just look for deep water and holes with the right bait and you'll catch evey fish in the lake, stream, river, or pond.

Thanks and Good Fishing

bhanks55
August 9th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Listen to buckmybass especially on the big flatheads. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING better than a mudcat/bullhead.

I catfish alot. I mean alot 2 -3 times a week. I have learned alot. So try this if ya want to catch some cats.

Flathead- 80% of time on bottom, they prefer live bait- Bluegills, crappie, bass, shad, but the all time best is Bullhead or yellow bellies. They have 1 fin on each side that is vary sharp so clip it off. I've won alot of $$ on these baits.

Bluecats- 75% suspended they love dead bait and stinky bait like shad, skip Jack ary well known for catching big blues. Chubs and Shiners work dead too.

Channels- Cut shad in small peices or stripes thats all you need for them.
If they don't hit that then they are not going to hit.

My name is John and I have been catfishing for 10 yrs. I have won contest after contest. Just look for deep water and holes with the right bait and you'll catch evey fish in the lake, stream, river, or pond.

Thanks and Good Fishing

doctariAFC
August 16th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Ahhhh.... Catfish....

I primarily focus on Channel Catfish and Bullhead spring and early summer.

Nightcrawlers are excellent for the Bullies.

In regards to Channel Cats - Raw, Shell-On Shrimp is excellent (cooked shrimp is no good), in fact it is my favorite bait. Also, Raw meat, like stir fry cut sirloin or small chunks of stew meat. The former NYS record channel cat was taken on a chunk of meat (31# 8oz). Nightcrawlers also work well for channel cats, but it primarily takes the smaller ones.

Chicken livers, cut shad, live large chubs, etc, deliver excellent results, too. Even whole raw chicken wings work well, too.

The condition of the bait depends upon the preference of the fish in the particular waters you are fishing, and the turbidity levels (stain) in the water. Lake Erie cats really prefer fresh baits over stinkier baits, believe it or not. The biggest factor in drawing strikes is proper presentation of the bait. Sometimes the cats will like to feed on the bottom, and in that instance, a Carolina-style rig delivers excellent results (slip sinker above the bait @ 2-3 feet.) Other times the cats will feed off the bottom. In that event, a 3-way rig works best with the sinker drop roughly twice the length of the hook leader. 12" lead for hook, 24" lead for sinker. Other times, cats are cruising the water column agressively. A slip bobber presentation works best as you can adjust your depth quickly until you find the right spot in the water column.

PABowhunt4life
August 21st, 2006, 12:45 AM
Cut bait or shiners seem to be the best catfish bait in my neck of the PA woods.....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/pacaveli/Catfish.jpg

tcooll77
August 21st, 2006, 12:50 AM
still havent gone out yet :sad:

Barryonyx
August 21st, 2006, 10:43 AM
Here's my method,

I go buy chicken livers and set them out in the sun for a while so they get a little stinky, then I freeze them. I also buy a couple cans of dog food. I poke several holes in the can tie a rope around it and toss it in the river, makes a great chum, while the dog food is doing its job I start rigging my lines with a small (not to small) treble on a leader connected with a swivel, I slide the leader through the liver down onto the hook, hold's the bait alot better. Works great for me. Dont forget to pull the cans out of the river though.

Good Luck

bornagain
August 21st, 2006, 10:53 AM
Canadian nightcrawlers 5 year old daughter just caught a 2 1/2 footer this weekend with dads help of course.

ARhunter16
August 24th, 2006, 10:22 PM
my favorite thing to do when i catfish is to go out the morning or evening before or even a couple of hours before and wear out the panfish with my fly rod. let them sit in the sun and get real stinky and then that night i'll cut them up and throw um on a treble hook. just a thought.

bill_rollins
August 25th, 2006, 05:13 AM
if im goin after blues or flatheads i'll used shad or bluegill but for channels i stick to worms and livers

my thoughts exactly, and can use same stuff for spoonbills as well.

Paul S.
August 25th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Hey Bill, spoonbills are plankton eaters....stick with the archery advise!!!!:) For cats up here, night crawlers, large shinners and chicken livers get the nod.

bro2032
October 9th, 2006, 08:12 PM
The biggest live baitfish I can catch with my cast net.We fish for flatheads and I like to get some sucker minnows or creek chubs about 8-12" long.

catfish45067
October 11th, 2006, 01:09 PM
for blues i use skipjack which is cut bait. for flatheads i use, well hmm, yellowbellies, small bass, baby carp, bluegill only warmouths, gold fish, isreali carp, koi, and big creek chubs.

MT Kevin
October 16th, 2006, 05:54 PM
All we've got out here is channel cats. I do best using live minnows, the bigger the better for me. Night crawlers work, but they catch too many bullheads, suckers, and carp for me. Sometimes on setlines I use cut sucker or chub with fair results. My favorite is by far minnows though. Also pick up a few walleye, sauger, smallmouth, and pike on the minnows for a bonus.

tcooll77
October 24th, 2006, 04:43 PM
sweet i didnt think this post would last this long :)

Hoyt X tec
December 13th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Sonny's stink bait is the best. I really like the X Tec I bought from you. It was nice dealing with you. :darkbeer:

jldbowhunt
January 3rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
The only thing I use on the Arkansas river besides what has been mentioned is Milk Worm's I gather these by cutting a small sapling and rubbing a big rock on the top of it causing vibrations down into the ground. The worms will come up and you can catch dozens even hundreds by doing this. It helps if you take a rake and rake back the leaves about 20' around the tree first you can see the worms better.

Milk worms are a little bigger around than a night crawler but they can be a foot long.

AdamG
January 3rd, 2007, 08:22 PM
On the James River here in VA its all about big Blue Cats, and its all about fresh caught Gizzard Shad. Cut em into big chunks and lay em out on the bottom in any good hole you run across on your graph. We like to use circle hooks and 30# mono on our rigs with tight drags to keep em outa the treetops.

My biggest is a 52# and a 47# with many 30s and low 40s. My Uncle has put 6 in his boat over 70#, so use FRESH bait!

Adam

2.5SHOT
January 3rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Anybody else spray their crawlers with wd-40? I thought the local guys were nuts when they told me this but.....Works like a charm for channels in the Rock river.

bowhunter0916
January 3rd, 2007, 09:34 PM
hotdogs work great for me.

I have caught tons of cats on hotdogs. I have even caught some large large mouth bass on them. Turtles love them too, so beware. We have some large turtles around my parts.

kc8688
January 5th, 2007, 11:47 PM
When I fish the river chanels in tennessee nothing works better than WD-40 spray'd on some chicken liver. Yes it sounds crazy and yes I was once a non-believer but trust me Spray it and they will come.

childers
January 7th, 2007, 12:43 AM
minnows,worms, meal and wax worms, chicken livers and hearts, hot dogs, corn, cheese, etc.

sean
January 7th, 2007, 12:59 AM
ive got a boat and a river filled with catfish within 20 minutes but dont know wat to catch them on

treble hook ball O worms and slide sinker 1oz. leave the bail open and let em swallow it herring oil helps also

JWaltrip
January 7th, 2007, 01:34 AM
When I fish the river chanels in tennessee nothing works better than WD-40 spray'd on some chicken liver. Yes it sounds crazy and yes I was once a non-believer but trust me Spray it and they will come.
Great like there isn't enough junk in our waterways!

JWaltrip
January 7th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Great like there isn't enough junk in our waterways! Half of ya would slap your first born on a hook if you heard it would catch fish!

sean
January 7th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Great like there isn't enough junk in our waterways! Half of ya would slap your first born on a hook if you heard it would catch fish!

thats an old salmon trick for plugs also ........ have you ever seen what an old 2 stroke does to the water ? WD is the least of my worries

mathews93
April 2nd, 2008, 12:03 AM
I usually catch bluegill and cut the head off, gut them and run a hook through the tail, works in Indiana.

what place in indiana and what lake (if its not private)

Paul S.
April 2nd, 2008, 12:10 AM
thats an old salmon trick for plugs also ........ have you ever seen what an old 2 stroke does to the water ? WD is the least of my worries

It works good for walleyes too.:wink:

ratliffc
April 2nd, 2008, 09:28 AM
Listen to buckmybass especially on the big flatheads. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING better than a mudcat/bullhead.

The only thing id add is dead creek chubs for channels

LIVE LIVE LIVE creek chubs, small suckers and carp to the flatheads. Its almost impossible to beat bullheads for flatheads in my area.

my rules on catfishing:

Channels: bait has to stay on the hook, no mater how dead or stinky, not to soft they get it off in one bite. Some type of small bait fish that died yesterday or within a few days and been in the fridge is unbeatable catches channels cats 1lbers-30lbers

Flats: its some type of live fish listed above. Ive caught 50lbs flatheads on 3 inch bullheads, usually the bigger bait the more bigger fish. Ive caught 20lbers on 1 inch blue gills but I want big baits. 14 inch sucker gets double hooked one near tail, usually gets eatin tail first, then one near its dorsal so it stays alive and moves until eaten

KS_jon
April 2nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Shrimp with shell on is the best.. CHicken livers work great but i dont like having to deal with them falling off the hook.. Soultion: Chicken livers + Blender poured over my shrimp. BEst of both worlds, ive never found a bait to beat this combination.
I use alot of stink bait on river as well, Sonys is good, also have some stuff a guy has been making for years which is real good..

fishnhuntr77
April 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
I worked in a bait shop for 3 years through college and we specialized in live bait and most of our customers were catfisherman. The top baits that we sold were...
1)Nightcrawlers
2)Chicken Livers plain or soaked in cherry koolaid without the sugar.
3)Goldfish
4)Chub Minnows
5)Catalpa Worms
6)Bluegils
7)Shad
8)Skipjack
Skipjack seemed to be the best bait for big blues and flatheads. In general, shad and bluegill for the most fish. And for the everyday fisherman, nightcrawlers and livers.

fishnhuntr77
April 2nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
For Channel Cats, the best bait that there is available if they are in season is Soft Craws. Nomatter what anyone else here says. if they are in season, soft crawfish are by far the best bait for channels.. you will also slam the smallies or whatever else there is in the river.

ratliffc
April 2nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
oh how has no body mentioned leeches.

I dont mean water leeches like you would use walleye fishing, they work but
KING leeches, the ones that are about as long as a milk jug stretched out. Cut them into 4-6 baits. Tough as leather catch 1-3 fish per bait. Use them on the bottom, my favorite is wading the rivers and using leeches/liver under a slip bobber about 3 inches off the bottom, float it 60-70 yards away and do it again. Works like a charm

tcooll77
April 2nd, 2008, 08:38 PM
thanks, its getitng to be that time.! so ill let you know how we do

ban_t
April 6th, 2008, 11:25 AM
If you do not mind a little work and your wife is a good sport try this.
Now granted I have 2 grinders so I do not have too hear my wife cry
I have 2 grinders use the one grinder for Food other for bait, you can make this in many ways so play with it I use all year and change too meet the days fishing. it works will on troutlines and jugs,YoYo" whatever

Have fun
Tightlines

bowman1964
April 6th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Home made cheesebait!
5 lbs of rotten cheese
2 dozen eggs
2-3 jars of peanut butter
3-4 bottles of garlic powder
vegtable oil for consistansy

put it in a 5 gallon bucket, get a drill with a mixer in the end and mix it alll up. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A LID!!

we have a pizza factory by us (Gino's Pizza) the cheese they don't use we take and let it rot in a 55 gallon drum for a summer in a hot shed.

ban_t
April 6th, 2008, 11:48 AM
For Channel Cats, the best bait that there is available if they are in season is Soft Craws. No matter what anyone else here says. if they are in season, soft crayfish are by far the best bait for channels.. you will also slam the smallies or whatever else there is in the river.

To add in too this if anyone want to keep soft craws all the time setup a tank and keep live craws in it and they shed their shell once every 1-2 month. So you can keep softs all year round I seine for craws in local ponds, and keep in a tank with about 12" of water in it with rocky sand that seperate the tank to 2 sides and lets them too cross over. I have too air curtains in them for lots of o2. I keep about 30-40 per tank since it is small. When they shed or too molt I move them too a third tank by themselves for protection since the others will attack them. food I just use left over minnows and they will feed on each other. Try too keep the smaller ones in different tank cause they kill each other.
Bottom line is it's fun too raise your bait.

tmarsh83
April 6th, 2008, 08:59 PM
cut ciscos...

ratliffc
April 6th, 2008, 11:11 PM
If you do not mind a little work and your wife is a good sport try this.
Now granted I have 2 grinders so I do not have too hear my wife cry
I have 2 grinders use the one grinder for Food other for bait, you can make this in many ways so play with it I use all year and change too meet the days fishing. it works will on troutlines and jugs,YoYo" whatever

Have fun
Tightlines

That creation sounds intreging but I am far to lazy to go through the work when I just float softies on a slip bobber and use hardones on trotlines, I have it saved to my computer tho, I will have to give it a try. How easy do they get it off the hook? I just wonder if they arent in the hammering mood do they peck it off the hook often?

mackem
April 23rd, 2008, 05:53 AM
Only ever fished for Pla Buk(siamese catfish) in Thailand,awesome fish,biggest caught was 292kg in 2005 in northern Thailand by local fishermen,my biggest was a more modest 74 lb fish.I used a bread/coconut milk mix bound onto a method feeder with a similar doughball on the hook :)

j3dgu
April 24th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Chicken liver!:wink: