PDA

View Full Version : Tarpoon fishing

Brown Hornet
August 4th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Anyone of you guys ever gone? We are gonna go out for them but we have never done it before so we have no idea what to use for bait. Not gonna fly fish so don't tell me to get some clauser (sp?) minnows.

doctariAFC
August 16th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Anyone of you guys ever gone? We are gonna go out for them but we have never done it before so we have no idea what to use for bait. Not gonna fly fish so don't tell me to get some clauser (sp?) minnows.
Ahhhh... Tarpon.... I have had the pleasure of fishing for Tarpon down in the Bahia Honda Channel just SW of Marathon Key, FL. I hope to do it again this coming April....

Live Bait - Pinfish, Mullet, Blue Crab. You can also use clam bellies.

Rigging is very simple. Large 5/0 or 6/0 Saltwater Gamakatsu Circle Hook, and you can either "free line" the bait, or you can add some weight to get her down to the bottom. We free lined the bait, letting it swim around freely, until Mr Tarpon slammed it.

A word of advice. When a Tarpon hits, you know it, and your natural tendency is to set that hook. YOU MUST WAIT! Let the fish take the bait all the way, otherwise you'll set the hook, hit impenetrable bone and end up with a clean hook.

We were using Pinfish and Blue CRab primarily, with "light action" saltwater rods with 20lb test Berkley saltwater big game mono.

Good luck!

Engelsmung
August 16th, 2006, 04:41 PM
At the mouth of the Mississippi they use "Coon Pops", which are #10/0-13/0 circle hooks, onto which a jighead is wired, and grub/cocahoe body attached. When the tarpon hits, he shakes of the jig, leaving only the cirlce hook imbedded in the corner of his jaw. No setting the hook, or you pull it out. I've never seen a commercially made coon pop, so make it yourself.

Brown Hornet
August 18th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the info guys....I am sure sooner or later I will have a story to tell.

doctariAFC
August 18th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the info guys....I am sure sooner or later I will have a story to tell.
right on. Just be certain to pack a lunch when you hook into one :D

Also, some advanced advice on the fight. When the fish jumps, point the rod tip towards the fish - don't keep it up high like you would on other species. Also, during the fight, be certain to put pressure on the fish from "different angles" rather than simply keeping the rod held high and in one position. Switching angles (left and right of center) keeps the fish guess as to where the tension is coming from, and indeed tires it out more quickly (quickly being a relative term). Don't play with the drag settings too much, rather, use the heel of your hand as an added "brake" mechanism to slow the drag system, or use your thumb if you are employing a level wind/ baitcasting reel. Don't be afraid to beat on the fish a little bit. The last thing you want to have happen is for the fish to simply take long, straight line runs. Make him turn and guess!

Tarpon are a RIOT!