PDA

View Full Version : 2 wd truck vs. boat ramp and weather

Bassmaster
August 12th, 2006, 12:18 AM
This is the worst trip i ever been on. So there i was with my fishing buddy and his 2 wheel drive truck and his PONTOON boat. The day started off fine. Nobody on the lake but us in the desired spot to be(Guess the watch the weater closer than us). Couple of small showers here and there. Then it quit sprinkaling for about 20 minutes and got real quite. Without waring the Bottom feel out. By the time we got back to the docks we were soaked. So i backed the trailer in the water(the rain has not slacked off a bit). Tried to get the boat up the ramp so we could tie everything down and go home. We got no more than half way up the ramp when the tires spun. Crap!!! Kept trying to go but nothing. We kept thinking it would slow up, never did. Nobody at the ramp but us. Sat there for about an hour, wet, when i stormed out of the truck and started striping batteries and gas cans from the boat and put them in back of the truck. My buddy gunned it while i jumped up and down in the back of the truck. 15 mins. later i was up the ramp and i vowed never go fishing when theres a chance of rain at that ramp. No fish what so Ever.
Post your horrible story.
thanks Bassmaster

Dodgedude
August 12th, 2006, 06:23 PM
How about having your teenage daughter sinking a hook into your eyebrow?

I can tell ya, it isn't cool. No need to try it yourself.

Bassmaster
August 12th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Did you put a ring there!LOL! I was fishing a small pond 2 years ago and about a 5lb bass took my shallow crank. When i set the hook he let go and i pierced my left ear all the way through.

camotoe
January 5th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Trolling up in Canada when my line got caught on the prop. Stripped all the line off in about 15 seconds. All my buddies laughed at me...but I had the last laugh. Driving home in two seperate vehicles. Charley was driving the van with the boat. Feels a jolt, looks in his rearview mirror, sees the boat passing his van...then it goes into the median where it's starting to slow down. Charley thinks he's home free. Boat and trailer are slowing way down, but there's one sign posted out in the median that says no u turn. The tongue of the trailer his the sign post and the boat, motor and trailer did a half flip. end of fiberglass boat.

kc8688
January 5th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Hello fellow brethren of disaster. pull up a chair as I tell you of another terrible boat ramp tale!
It was mid december and the lake was at its lowest for the year.We had been crappie fishing all morning in the 40 degree weather on my freinds pontoon. Since he lives on the lake he never takes his pontoon out of the water. However a storm was supposed to be coming later that week so he asked if we could use my 1500 chevy 4wd to pull out the 20 foot pontoon. I agreed. As I began to back the long trailer down the ramp I kept going deeper and deeper then suddenly I saw the massive trailer dissappear into the water followed up by a nasty CLANG!....I had fallen off the end of the ramp. I tried to pull it out but even in 4wd the tires just smoked. Finally I had to back my truck 1/4 of the way into the water while turning a hard left. then I gave it a hard right and punched the throttle.The trailer hit the edge and exploded out of the water and back up onto the ramp. I pulled up and got out to find a bent tounge,bent reciever and two popped tires. Needless to say we didnt get his pontoon out. As for the storm, it never came.

INHUNTER
January 7th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Where to begin . . .

The worst I've personally experienced is when I was a kid. My Dad was cussing people fishing on the docks when we came in from a storm. There was literally no place to dock without having somebody real up a line. We went ahead and docked, the person there was not bothered at all. Dad was still grumbling when he backed the truck down and put the boat on the trailer. He was so upset about it, he forgot to put the winch rope on the boat! We got half-way up the ramp & the fiberglass boat went THUD! You guessed it, off the trailer, onto the ramp. The 10 guys that were fishing on the dock, that he'd been cussing mind you, rushed to help get the boat back on the trailor. Thank goodness for tilt trailers. Luckily no damage to the boat, but my Dad was definitely humbled that day.

I've seen all types of things happen at the boat ramp. Let me tell ya, a bag of sand is a must for a 2wd vehicle. We helped a guy on a slick ramp who was half into the water. Dump sand out of his sandbags in front of & behind his tires. He pulled out like he was on dry land.

125 or bust
January 12th, 2007, 01:46 AM
I think I might have ya all beat.I pull into the ramp and get out to tie a rope off to launch.as my foot hits the pavement I hear a pop as my first brand new truck flys past me and into the water .hits the dock spins and sinksabout 5 ft over the roof . boat still attached and filling with water.so after Iget over the initial shock 2 guys ...who looked more dumbfounded then I troll me over to release the boat.to my dismayI find out that the truck is actually about 5 ft. off the bottomand the strap on the boat is still holding my truck hostage.15 or so min. go by and I finally free the boat from the truck and I have to wait for a tow truck to show up to pull it out.well he gets there and it takes him about an hour to get it out ...tying up the dock as no fewer then 20 or 30 boats wait to launch.the single worst day I have ever spend on the water in my life...oh the boys @ work still havent let me live this one down.

Bassmaster
January 16th, 2007, 11:31 PM
hey bust, how new was your truck. i think thats worse. what was the pop you mentioned. how did you dry your interior. did you get your boat.

doctariAFC
January 18th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Oh, the horror!

WHen I was a kid, my dad took me out fishing (sister and step mom went, too) out on Lake Erie in his big old 1962 22' Carver, a nice I/O cabin cruiser, of course made of wood. The water was a bit choppy, but no issues, and we started fishing off Hamburg Beach, and I was happily catching smallmouth bass. The automatic bilge kept coming on, and then finally stayed on. Dad examined the bilge and found water rising fast! He high tail it back to the Upper NIagara River, but since Dad is a wimp, he doesn't brave the waters under the Peace Bridge, no, he takes the Black Rock Canal which has a lock. WHile sitting in the lock, the boat is filling rapidly with water, so much so the pump (1,000 gal. hr) cannot keep up.We get out of the lock and head to the first Marina that has a boat sling. After several minutes of my dad arguing with the harbor master, as a small sunfish sail boat was in the sling, and the master said, if I take it out of the sling, it'll sink, to which Dad replied, this boat is worth a heck of a lot more than that little raft, and this boat IS SINKING NOW. Get it out NOW, we got the boat in the sling and lifted her out of the water. You know, not one drop of water flooding the boat came out? Turned out to be the old mate's head drain, which was closed off by the original owner with cork and tar, dry rotted and disintegrated. Since the hose was still attached (elbow hose), no water could drain out.

The next year, we're fishing the Upper Niagara, in front of the Huntley Power Plant, in the same boat. Dad has the brilliant idea to lash the bow of the boat to the steel anti-erosion wall, like the otehr boats were doing. Too bad he didn't realize they all had stern anchors set! We almost turned the boat into toothpicks.

A few years later, while trailering the boat, if came uncoupled and was passing my dad on an old country road. Ended up heading off the road, slipped between two giant tree fenceposts, and came to a halt when it dropped into a small creek. The boat heaved up and one of the rollers went through the bottom. Lucky as heck. Got her repaired, and the boat is still going strong today.

Saw a horror at a boat launch a few years ago on Chautauqua Lake, Long Point State Park. The tour ship Summer Wind was being extracted to repair something, at least this is what I heard. Needed a Semi to drag it out. Apparently there was a leak in the hull, and the boat had a goodly amount of water in it. The Semi pulled..... and both axles ripped right off the truck! Took over two hours for two other semis to jerk the whole mess out of the way.

Final horror happened while a friend and I were fishing Quaker Lake in Allegany State Park this past fall. We're casting from shore using Silver Buddies in hopes of hooking up with either a bass, pike or trout. I caught a small pike, Chris had nada. We were about to head to the spillway for the trout, and Chris says "Last Cast". Fish On! He lands a nice 24" northern pike, and grabs it to extract the hook. Fish shakes, slips out of his grasp, and buries 2 of three points on the front treble hook into his thumb, and the fish is still hooked with the other treble, and is thrashing about. After getting the hook out of the fish, I took Chris to the ER, 3 hours later the lure was freed from his thumb. That was gnarly.

Dredly
January 18th, 2007, 10:21 AM
remind me never to fish with you guys! :)

125 or bust
January 19th, 2007, 06:26 AM
hey bust, how new was your truck. i think thats worse. what was the pop you mentioned. how did you dry your interior. did you get your boat.
03 silverado 4 door 4wd. interior was dried by the dodge dealer that I bought the new truck from...the engine locked up on the way in . They totaled it about a week later. the pop was the transmission popping out of gear.yes the boat is fine. got a total rebuild on that last year.

125 or bust
January 19th, 2007, 06:31 AM
remind me never to fish with you guys! :)

It's not the fishing thats the problem...it seems getting there and back is were we fall short.

Bassmaster
January 21st, 2007, 12:36 PM
125, i bet that set u back a pretty penny. no offense but what a great way for a chevy to die.

hunterhowdy
January 21st, 2007, 04:10 PM
One time I took my son-in-law fishing at Lake Wappapellow here in southern Missouri. We were in my 15' Lowe fishing boat and had just left the boat ramp. I went to a cove where I had caught fish before, " no lye ":rolleyes: , anyway we were fishing for about five minutes when Tony says theres a little water in the back of the boat. I said no problem theres always a little spash water back there. We fished another five or ten minutes and Tony asked how much water should be in there, his feet were getting wet. I looked back, the water was over his ankels.:eek: I had forgotten to put the drain plug in. I cranked up the motor and sped across the lake to siphon the water out the drain plug hole. Not the first time it's happened!

Howdy

WAID
January 21st, 2007, 09:07 PM
Wasn't a bad day for me(I've done the usual dumb stuff but nothing to brag about yet) but on the way in from a day of salmon fishing in the mouth of the Columbia we noticed a big white streak down the concrete ramp. At the top a tow truck was just leaving. After loading our boat heading out of the parking lot they had managed to get the boat on the trailer but the hull was gouged pretty bad. One outdrive was gone and the otherone was mounted at a rather strange angle.

125 or bust
January 22nd, 2007, 01:38 AM
125, i bet that set u back a pretty penny. no offense but what a great way for a chevy to die.
a little about 3 grand but I saved about 7-8 on the ram ...end of year stuff....buuuttt then I put that money back into tires and gas .....that damn hemi is just way to much fun... by the way that truck was the biggest p.o.s I ever owned but she just had to have it we were havin a babyand my dakota was to small .so I fixed her wagon .told her I was buying a quad cab ram and then bought the standard cab that=no smashed up crackers and rotton sippy cups in my huntin rig

Bassmaster
March 10th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Rather have my dodge SIP on a tank of diesel than CHUG a tank of gas. A Buddy of mine is about to get a Cummins because his Hemi set'em back to far in gas money.

superduc21
March 10th, 2007, 11:22 PM
C'mon the hemi isnt that bad. Ive got an 04 Off road with the 5.7 and get around 16mpg on 35x12.50x17s! (of course thats not wanting to hear the exhaust:wink: ) on the other hand heres my story

My first day of college I was 17 and had a little 16ft bass tracker. My brother asked me if he could take it out so I figured why not. Guess he didnt realize that the older trackers have 3 plugs in them so he only checked to make sure one was in (the rear). He hooked it up to his Tacoma and down the boat ramp he went. He gets it in the water, pulls it around to the dock (about 30 feet, our driveway was also a boat ramp). He goes and pulls his truck up to park it. When he gets back it is starting to fill up with saltwater (we lived on the gulf). So he decides to back his truck and the trailer back down to load it, nevermind putting the plug in and turning on the bilge. He pulls the boat back around on to the trailer and the yota wouldnt pull it up. So brilliant him decides to take the boat out and try to get it on plane to drain the water. He didnt check to see if it was a side plug or rear, it was a side, the rear was in. Well after a few more gallons of water pour into the boat he decides to put it back on the trailer. He got it to the trailer but it was too far gone. The nose of the boat made it one but the rear was about 3 feet under. Time goes by and after a few broken winch straps he gets it out. He doesnt bother calling me or anything, instead I come home to a cake with those little battleship game pieces all over it and a message in icing that said "Sorry I sunk your battleship"!

125 or bust
March 11th, 2007, 08:46 PM
C'mon the hemi isnt that bad. Ive got an 04 Off road with the 5.7 and get around 16mpg on 35x12.50x17s! (of course thats not wanting to hear the exhaust:wink: ) on the other hand heres my story

My first day of college I was 17 and had a little 16ft bass tracker. My brother asked me if he could take it out so I figured why not. Guess he didnt realize that the older trackers have 3 plugs in them so he only checked to make sure one was in (the rear). He hooked it up to his Tacoma and down the boat ramp he went. He gets it in the water, pulls it around to the dock (about 30 feet, our driveway was also a boat ramp). He goes and pulls his truck up to park it. When he gets back it is starting to fill up with saltwater (we lived on the gulf). So he decides to back his truck and the trailer back down to load it, nevermind putting the plug in and turning on the bilge. He pulls the boat back around on to the trailer and the yota wouldnt pull it up. So brilliant him decides to take the boat out and try to get it on plane to drain the water. He didnt check to see if it was a side plug or rear, it was a side, the rear was in. Well after a few more gallons of water pour into the boat he decides to put it back on the trailer. He got it to the trailer but it was too far gone. The nose of the boat made it one but the rear was about 3 feet under. Time goes by and after a few broken winch straps he gets it out. He doesnt bother calling me or anything, instead I come home to a cake with those little battleship game pieces all over it and a message in icing that said "Sorry I sunk your battleship"!
i would have then bought him a milkshake and a straw with a message saying.....you are gonna be eating these 3 times a day for a while

Buksknr53
March 11th, 2007, 10:15 PM
My hunting club chartered a boat once for a deep sea fishing trip. The 30 or so members and guest traveled 5 1/2 hours to Morehead City NC on a chartered bus. We headed out to sea on a 2 hour boat ride under ugly skys. When we finally started to fish, it was getting uglier by the minute. Then it got real ugly fast. It started to rain and the boat was being tossed like it was nothing. Coolers and equipment was being washed overboard. The captain ordered everyone inside the cabin. Everybody on the boat was throwing up except me. I have never been seasick. I knew it was bad when I saw the captain losing his cookies. It got so rough, I thought we were all going to die. When we finally made it back to the dock, the sun came out, but nobody wanted to go back out after that experience, so we got back on the bus and went home. The charter fee was $1500.00 ( non-refundable) and $800.00 for the bus. All down the drain.