PDA

View Full Version : Removing Inserts

mlynx
August 24th, 2006, 02:42 AM
I've found out I need to add weight to the front of my arrows.

To do this I've picked up some brass inserts, but I need to know if there is an easy way to remove the aluminum inserts installed by the archery shop. He used a cyanoacrylate (Super Glue) type adhesive in carbon shafts. :confused2:

ftshooter
August 24th, 2006, 06:59 AM
I don't know if this is the best way or the right way to do this ..but ,I have took them out by heating up the end of a field tip and then grab it with a pair of pliers and pull.
of course, you don't want to heat them up any more then you need to so be careful . right after pulling it out ,while the glue is still soft, you need some kind of small flat dull blade to stick in the shaft and scape around the inside of the shaft to get any excess glue from it . That is the hard part getting the old glue out of there. Just Try one ,and see if it will work for you .

marforme
August 24th, 2006, 09:28 AM
If a super glue type adhesive is used do not heat the shaft. Put a drill bit in the shaft from the nock end which is just a bit smaller in diameter than the inside of the shaft. grab the nock end with your hand and raise the point end up in the air and than quickly swing the point end down. It may take a couple trys, but the force of the drill bit being suddenly pushed toward the tip will knock the insert out.

mlynx
August 24th, 2006, 11:22 AM
If a super glue type adhesive is used do not heat the shaft. Put a drill bit in the shaft from the nock end which is just a bit smaller in diameter than the inside of the shaft. grab the nock end with your hand and raise the point end up in the air and than quickly swing the point end down. It may take a couple trys, but the force of the drill bit being suddenly pushed toward the tip will knock the insert out.

Thank YOU!!!! I was beginning to worry that my only recourse would be to buy another set of arrows. This worked like a champ. :thumb:

Dredly
September 24th, 2006, 07:10 PM

Just a bump for this - this actually works with GoatTuff glued in tips as well.. should have read it before destroying my last arrow.