PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear

MooseXing
August 25th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Im heading out into the wood for a black bear this Fall it will be my first time any advice on treestand location. should i get as close to the denn as posible. Any advice would be great.

dogg3250
August 25th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Not sure a den is going to do you any good during hunting season. Were are you hunting can you bait or can you dog hunt ? bears have a huge travel area just sitting is not going to cut it you mite get lucky and see one at dark on acorns or berrys. If you are going to just sit and hope one comes by find spots that are wet and thick. Bears like to hold up in the heat of the day in heavy covered swaps to cool off. Good Luck..

MooseXing
August 26th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Its in Ontario there are no restrictions on baiting. the terain is rockey with thick cedar.pine and some maple and birch cover and lage clearings where large rocks covered in rock trip are fliped so i know he frequents those areas.

ARCHERYSNOB
August 28th, 2006, 01:10 AM
If bait is legal,I would use it.

-Carry out your ingredients in a 5 gallon plastic bucket,put out your recipe,then place bucket over it and put a log over it,so that only the bears will nock it over.

-Trail cam would be great to use here.

-General rule is that any bear that hits your bait pile,is a dead bear.

-Recipe- Regular hard dog food plus bacon grease plus grape cool aid, maybe some molasses also. Very simple and bears love it.

Bears carry this mess away on their paws,and other bears will come back to it.

Good luck-joe

MooseXing
August 30th, 2006, 07:50 PM
thanks alot for the info. ill show some picks if i get him