PDA

View Full Version : Help with GT Ultralite 22's

tatoo
August 30th, 2006, 01:22 AM
I'm looking for some help, I've tried e-mailing Gold Tip but got no answer.
I would like to know if the Ultralite 22's are over spined (300) for my bow.
Mathews Switchback XT 62# arrows are 27.5 long, at the moment I'm shooting 3D and arrows are CXL 150 select only looking at the GT's as they are cheeper .

grouse
August 30th, 2006, 04:08 AM
I asked a similar question and the general answer is yes! But they still shot very well through my bow at 62# and 28.5. The concensus seems to be that under 50 its not a big deal. I moved to xcutter with even a stiffer spine and I will see what happens.

Northforker
August 30th, 2006, 07:34 AM
They will shoot fine out of your bow. I suggest 80 gr tips, pin nocks, and small vanes such as mini blazers or quick spins.

white00crow
August 30th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I think SPINE gets beat to death, I am WAY over spined and am Shooting great groups, I am shooting a 250 spine out of a 60lb bow with 29in draw, Book says 400 spine, But the X-cutters shot well!!!

Moose mustard
August 30th, 2006, 09:13 PM
the whole spine thing was more critical with aluminum shafts and shooting fingers. Carbons are stiffer than aluminum. To get a carbon to behave like an aluminum arrow when dhooting fingers, you have to shoot a dangerously underspined arrow. The thing about spine was people were wanting to shoot the lightest shaft they could safely. Not an issue with carbon, theyre already very light and stiff.There is nothing wrong with shooting an overspined arrow....The key is FOC...you have to put enough weight in the front and you can shoot the stiffest arrows from the lightest bows. The GT ultra lite S22's will fly great with 100 gr. in the nose. I would only shoot 80 gr in the nose with the smallest/lightest vanes.

SzaboZ
August 31st, 2006, 04:55 AM
Go to www.goldtip.com. Use " Build your own arrow".
If the FOC is OK, it will fly perfectly.

macatac
September 1st, 2006, 12:03 AM
Yes, they are way overspined, but they will work fine for 3D. Mine are cut 1/2" in front of my blade rest with 80 gr glue-ins. I have FF175 and pin nocks in the back. They worked great for me this summer.

I will say spine is important for field or FITA, where you have much more distance involved. For the relatively short distances of 3D, spine is not so critical.

macatac

mbuemi
September 1st, 2006, 02:50 PM
well i dont know that any of what has been said is correct. I had a dozen GT UL 22's. they were at 27". the .300 spine. 60 pounds. (but i have a 25.5" DL) They flew like they were drunk. Fishtailed like a nightmare, and just all around stunk. My CF STL hunters with a spine of about .330 shoot better. (i had a 80 gr tip in those GT's) So i think ill stick with what works. The GTs had a far left tear when paper tuning. The CF's shot bullet holes at least back to 40.

Northforker
September 1st, 2006, 06:42 PM
27" arrows and a 25.5" DL,:confused: sounds like they were sticking out in front of the rest a ways. 22UL's seem to fly best cut as short as possible. I'sd say most of whats been said is pretty much right on the money. Sorry they didn't fly well for you though.

mbuemi
September 1st, 2006, 10:17 PM
eh...sorry i wrote that. i know that what was said WAS really true. Was a littled peeved at the moment at some other things. Im gonna try cutting them down and shooting them, see how that goes.