PDA

View Full Version : Loc-On type Stands - Namely Gorilla, Kong

scfletch
August 30th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I'm in the market to buy a hang on stand. I was checking out the Gorilla Kong. It's at Bass Pro for $79. Theres one at Wal Mart called the Wolverine. It's $49.99. From what I can tell It's the same stand except it doesn't have backpacking straps(I can rig up some) and it's a chain instead of a strap (I don't care).

Does anybody have any experience with these stands or another CHEAP hang on stand?

DBL LUNG
August 30th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Honestly I would say just bite the bullet and buy a good higher end stand. I hunted out of River's Edge ladder stands and lock-ons for a couple of years. They were OK stands, but not that comfotable. It was hard to sit for a couple of hours trying not to move around and get comfortable. And trust me, being comfortable will allow you to spend a lot more time in the tree especially when it's that magical time of the year when you want to stay there all day :wink: .

I picked up a Gorilla Silverback Magnum XLS. This is an alum. stand and only weighs 13 lbs. The seat is super comfortable and I got the optional footrest which really helps with letting the blood circulate through the legs. This also helps keep you warmer. I know if sounds funny but it does help.

This stand has made it possible for me to stay longer in the tree while being comfortable. IMO there is nothing more aggervating that not being comfortable and wanting to leave after only an hour or so of hunting.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21424-cat20055&id=0032910416964a&navCount=5&podId=0032910&parentId=cat20055&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=QT&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20055&hasJS=true

Midlife Crisis
August 30th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I have the chain-on Gorilla King Kong. I love the big platform - it allows me to stretch my legs out a bit. The seat won't absorb rain, so you don't get WBS (Wet Butt Syndrome). I am not fond of the chain, however. I found it a lot more difficult to put up (and get set into a steady, fixed position) than the strap-on stands I have. I also put a treestep in right under the chain to make sure it would not slip from its set position.

Because of the bad discs in my lower back I need comfort. My Summit Razor X5 climber has a seat I can sit in for many more hours than the seats on my other stands, including the Gorilla.

NEW THIS YEAR: Summit's Trophy System - same sling seat as a climber, but used with a separate platform. Looks like you can buy separate platforms and move the seat from stand to stand with very little effort (can buy separate brackets to leave in trees for the seats, too I think). I bought a Millenium stand with 4 brackets to try this year, but I think the Summit Trophy system is going to get all future investments I make in stands. No WBS, super comfort (gotta be careful not to fall asleep), and ability to add stand locations with small incremental investments.

crhye250r
August 30th, 2006, 12:39 PM
I have a couple of the Wolverines, and they are great stands for the money. They aren't the most comfortable, or lightest, but for $49 you will be hard pressed to find one better, in my opinion...

Clay

ruchak
August 30th, 2006, 12:40 PM
The gorilla is heavy, but comfy.

mshunter06
August 30th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I just put up my King Kong Lounger XLS this past weekend. I ordered it from Bass Pro like ($139) and some steps ($59). Seems like a great stand, a little heavy but mine is the steel version, so that was to be expected. I would say that you couldn't beat them for their price/quality. BUT if you do order from Bass Pro my shipping for 2nd day Fedex was $66.95!:eek: So I would suggest trying to pick it up locally.... Just my .02:wink:

NickT
August 30th, 2006, 01:25 PM
The walmart one is what we got. We spend 3 bucks and buy a rachet strap though (maybe buy two)

Newhunter1
August 30th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Stands you asked about. I have had the wolverine now for 3 years. Its the chain on model and I got it from Bass Pro for 69.99, but that was 3 years ago. This past weekend I went and bought the King Kong stand and put it up this past saturday. I love the big stand, but I would rather have the chain model. I had to put a ratchet strap on the bottom. Other than that it is a great stand. With the wolverine, it is a small stand and you may have issues now about the size. I had to stand and stretch as it doesn't let some get comfortable for long. However, for 49.99 you can afford to have a couple on hand. I cannot wait to try out the kong stand...it's sitting in a tree 22 feet up.

Paul

PAKraig
August 30th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I have a couple Gorilla Baby Kongs. Not sure if they still make them or not. They are definitely solid once strapped to the tree. The straps are definitely easier to set up. The seats on these stands are not all that comfortable though. I will be buying extra padded seats for them this year. Like has been said above, seat comfort is very important, especially during the rut.

Another small gripe I have is with the platform.It's kind of a wire mesh, like a lot of lock on platforms have, but my rubber boots have an "air bob" sole that actually sticks in the mesh. If I ever slide my feet, it rattles and makes noise. I'll be getting new boots this year, so it won't be an issue any longer.:wink:

Just a few things to think about regardless of what brand name you buy.

farmdude
August 30th, 2006, 01:53 PM
for the chain on stand i allways convert even strap-on to chain and use a load binder to tighten the chain so there is 0 noise a binder like this.....

scfletch
August 30th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the replys. I have other stands, so this won't be my only one. And during the rut I'll be sitting in Tripods with 30-06. I'll use the loc-on to get in the woods where the hunting is more limited. I have a Summit Python that I think is awesome for comfort.

I hunted this past weekend from an old Loc-On stand. I sat for about 2 1/2 hours with no comfort issuses. I know the seat size and deck size has importance, but looking at a lot of loc-ons the size of the Gorilla is right in line.

I did like the idea of the small binder. if I get a chain model I'll have to have one of those.

I havent purchased yet, so all comments are appreciated.

Bottmhtr
August 30th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I like the chain models better because I don't take my stands down very often and the squirrels eat thru the straps and also the sun damages them. The binder is a good idea because at times it is hard to get the stands tight to the tree with chains. I have screaming eagles, kinda pricey but are comfortable.

PatriotDually
August 30th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I have 5 King Kong loc ons and just bought 2 of the wolverines from walmart, seat is smaller on the wolverine but for the money you can't go wrong. For being mobile i use my Lone Wolf Alpha loc on. but i gotta say for size, price and comfort the king kong is better.

farmdude
August 30th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I like the chain models better because I don't take my stands down very often and the squirrels eat thru the straps and also the sun damages them. The binder is a good idea because at times it is hard to get the stands tight to the tree with chains. I have screaming eagles, kinda pricey but are comfortable.

ummmm the only thing about the binder is if left un fast gowing tree ....it may be hard to get loose....last year i was gonna move a stand (been up for several years..couldn't get it loose..even brought a 1.5 ft. pipe and tried that unsuccesfully )(sp) but then i am older and not so strong anmore so ya young bucks would have no problem.

Muy Grande
August 30th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I have several Gorilla stands and I actually prefer the chain over the strap. The strap on the Gorilla sucks in my opinion. It is a royal pain to get those things to loosen up at the end of the season. I have replaced mine with regular ratchet straps. That said the Gorilla stands are very sturdy and quiet...and I use the King Kongs, so mine also have HUGE platforms.

scfletch
August 31st, 2006, 03:29 PM
I really appreciate you guys input on this. Thanks for the answers. Pay Day is tomorrow and I have more information now to make my decision. Thanks...

jbo3
August 31st, 2006, 05:03 PM
I tried the Kong from Wally World a few years ago. It was the chain on and I truly hated it. Very difficult to get tight on the tree. Of course, you can always buy an extra strap but why have to do that, added cost.

So.. this time, I opted for the Big Game Boss XL from BPshops. Strap on, big stand, and footrest. Though it is a bit heavy at the stated 20#'s. They are on sale and I got 3 and did the 6 payment plan thing they offered me. Should be nice and sturdy, will have to see how it attaches once they come in.