PDA

View Full Version : gonna buy a flats boat... but what kind?

stewart76
September 1st, 2006, 07:35 PM
any suggestions.... looking at hewes, maverick and actioncraft:confused:

steve r
September 1st, 2006, 07:36 PM
any suggestions.... looking at hewes, maverick and actioncraft:confused:carolina skiff is inexpensive and a good boat for the flats.www.carolinaskiff.com

marv870
September 5th, 2006, 11:20 AM
i work for a hewes and maverick dealership and i will tell you they dont get any better than one of thoose you wont be dissapointed witch ever one you pick my personal choice would be the 18' hews redfisher

Mizzoukispot
October 4th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Hewes and action crafts will soak you in a rough chop. I prefer the OLDER Mavericks....custom boats. I own a release backcountry 21 and my friend owns a 21 key hopper. My boat is heavier and takes rough water better, but you would not want to push it. The key hopper is light and can be pushed. I owned a 18'5 maverick and liked it, but it was wetter and shorter, than the boat I have now.

Dave Nowlin
November 3rd, 2006, 09:31 PM
I can't speak for an Action Craft but I have gotten very wet in a friend's Hewes Bayfisher. We were crossing a bay in Louisiana. I believe my 20 ft. bass boat would have handled the chop better and delivered a dryer ride.
Dave Nowlin

Harvstr
November 6th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Dargel with suzuki motors. i work for huff marine down in corpus christi and we sell the crap out of these things. not to mentune is the smoothest, shallowest running boat you can get, and has torque out the wazoo with the suzuki 4 strokes we're running. check em out! all fiberglass stringers, no wood, full lifetime warranties on the floor and transoms as well, and suzuki usually has a deal with a 6 year warranty on the motor if you can time it right! also a dry ride! all have a true 3/4 length tunnel with a medium v up front, fisherman series have a bigger v to help with the chop in the bays and gulf, or you can get the skout which all the shallow water fisherman and wade fisherman like.

Reverend
November 6th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I like the Hewes Redfishers, Actioncrafts, and Releases... but if I had the money, I would go with the Ranger Cayman. Man that's one nice boat.
I also like Scout Boats. They're not too well known, but are very well made.

If you're going to pole with it, smaller is better (15-17ft.). But if you seldom pole, the 19-21 ft. can't be beat for comfort and their abiltiy to handle big water.

125 or bust
January 12th, 2007, 01:52 AM
I am from the north but I always thought a hells bay would be the way to go on the flats?

superduc21
February 14th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Always liked the Hewes or Maverick. Love my Shipoke but they went out of buisness a few years back:sad: