PDA

View Full Version : Muzzy Broadheads

Slippy Field
September 11th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Can anyone get a consistent pattern out of Muzzys? If so, let me know the secret.

huntinfool84
September 11th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I use the 3 blade 100's, but for me to get them to fly "good" I had to barley offset the blades with the fletchings (1/8"). If they were lined up or offset too much they would not fly very well at all. But that is just my experience with them.

Brian

SCS
September 11th, 2006, 09:50 AM
I was shooting my 90gr. 4 blades yesterday. One was dead on, one hit left, one hit right. Switched the heads on the right and left shooter, now all 3 shoot fine.
Steve

Slippy Field
September 11th, 2006, 09:52 AM
I use the 3 blade 100's, but for me to get them to fly "good" I had to barley offset the blades with the fletchings (1/8"). If they were lined up or offset too much they would not fly very well at all. But that is just my experience with them.

Brian

I hear a lot of peeps talking about spin tuning the heads with the shaft. Most people say its a waste of time and some believe its important. I was shooting last night from 25 yards, 3 arrows, one would hit dead center, one would hit 3 inches to the right, the other would hit 3 inches to the left. Next round, one would hit center and the other two would shoot 2-3 inches to the right, the next round, one would hit dead center and the other two would hit 2-3 inches to the left....no consistency other than I could always get one on center. Switched to field tips and was shooting fine. :sad:

nyturkeyduster
September 11th, 2006, 09:52 AM
I shoot 3 blade 100's with Blazer Vanes and they fly the same as my field tips. Its awesome.

Flip Flop
September 11th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Hey Slipster,
All I needed was a perfectly tuned bow with all my arrows flying straight. Alot of bows shoot field points just fine but the monster of it is to get your BH to do the same. The head you are shooting has worked great for me and may others for years and years. Broadheads will generally magnify any tuning or arrow size/build problems. Start with checking all you arrows on a spin tester if you think your bow is tuned up and make sure that all you inserts are aligned properly. It seems that alot of broadhead problems come from a poorly costructed arrow so that would be a good place to start.

hunting170
September 11th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Do your arrows have helical, or offset fletching, Slippy? If not that is where you need to start. My Bemans have four offset Blazers, and they fly field points, 4 blade 100 gr. Muzzys, and MX-4s just fine out to 50 yards.

Slippy Field
September 11th, 2006, 10:59 AM
3 blades with straight fletching or whatever comes factory with GTs. They don't fly any better with my axis through my WB either. :sad:

hunting170
September 11th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Try some helical fletching, Slippy. I bet you`ll see a big difference.

Jeff in SC
September 11th, 2006, 11:40 AM
slippy,

I have shot the 4 blade 100gr muzzy for years. I still have one in my quiver this year, although I did switch to the steelheads mostly. My arrows are sit up with 3 blazers sit with a right helical on them. The muzzy's for true for me out to 40 yds.

Slippy Field
September 11th, 2006, 11:54 AM
No helicals for me. Don't like them and I shoot a WB on my Cougar, helicals don't work through the WB I've learned. :sad:

PA_ENGR
September 11th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Make sure your arrow ends are squared. I have some axis arrow that I have set up with ST's. The arrows I got off my friend have all been squared up using Montec's ASD and they spin wobble free. The ones I have that aren't squared wobble like crap and fly like crap (although they group fairly well).

Also check the muzzy's themselves. Since they have an aluminum ferrule they tend to bend and at which point become worthless as they will always wobble. Try to find a good arrow were most BH's spin wobble free. Then you can figure out which BH's are bad. Bent muzzy's were most always the top culprit for bad arrow flight/ grouping

Good luck :darkbeer:

StrutStopper
September 11th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Last year I switched to Muzzy 4 blades (100 grain). I used to hunt with 3 blades, but the 4 blade ones are easier to touch up. I Never had a problem with either of them. Once I tuned my bow to bring my broadhead and field point arrows to the same POI, I never had a problem. I took my proficiency test yesterday to hunt Prudence Island (I probably wont hunt there, but like to keep my options open). You had to hit the vitals of a silhouet with 3 out of 5 broadhead tipped arrows to pass. IMHO, I think anyone who even thinks about taking a bow into the woods should have to do this, but this isnt the case. Anyway, my first 3 arrows slammed the center of the kill zone and the DEM guy told me to save my arrows, lets walk down range... BTW, my arrows are fletched with helical blazers.

Bees
September 11th, 2006, 12:17 PM
If so, let me know the secret.

Secret for me is 5 inch feathers right helical with offset.

BTW, my arrows are fletched with helical blazers.

how much helical can you get on a 2 inch blazer???

CAJUNBOWHNTR
September 11th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Tune your bow

Make sure your arrow,broadhead spins straight

Use enough fletching to control the arrow

CB

bcriner
September 11th, 2006, 02:18 PM
I have 2" blazers fletched right wing with Arizona E-Z fletcher. I shoot Muzzy 3-blade 100gr. on CE Maxima Hunters. I smooth the ends of the shaft with my ASD before installing the inserts. I tried to line the blades up with the shaft. I have one that ended up completely opposite the vanes (basically, one blade between each vane). All the arrows fly the same as my field points, including the one not lined up with the vanes. I think it depends alot on how well your bow is tuned also. As long as I take steps to ensure the shaft is smooth before installing the inserts, I have not any problems with the broadheads not hitting where the field points do. I spend a lot of time timing the bow with bullet points first. Time spent here, saves me time with my broadheads. JMO.

timboj
September 11th, 2006, 02:24 PM
The Muzzy 75 grain shoots right with my field tips. Easton Excel 400 w/Blazer vanes ...... slight right offset.

MuzzyAddict
September 11th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I have shot 4 blade Muzzy's since they were first available. I used to get huge variations in the transition from field tips to broadheads, usually down and left. The two most important corrections I made were first correcting my spine; I was way overspined and secondly started using a fall away rest ( I use Ripcord, but this isn't a commercial, so make your own decision). As long as the arrow spins true, I can transition from fields to 4 blades with no adjustment.

hayslope
September 11th, 2006, 02:32 PM
I have no personal experience with them, but I agree with squaring off the inserts. Use an ASD. It may help.

BTW, I have a friend that calls them "Sticks in the Bone" from seeing the shots with poor penetration on the "Bad to the Bone" videos.

Most of the guys I know that use them love them and get them to shoot great.

IL_Hunter
September 11th, 2006, 03:05 PM
I have never been able to get the 3-blade Muzzy's to fly. Wak'Ems and Sonics fly great out of my bow and have the same P.O.I. as my field tips. In my opion Muzzy's are junk. Atleast the 3-blade 100grains.

cutter10x
September 11th, 2006, 03:11 PM
i couldnt.....never had any luck with them........wish i could.....i used the 90gr 4 blade and it took forever to tune them and even after never really had a tight group...not as tight as i wanted anyways........

BowhunterNJ
September 11th, 2006, 03:26 PM
No helicals for me. Don't like them and I shoot a WB on my Cougar, helicals don't work through the WB I've learned. :sad:

I can't imagine shooting a fixed blade BH without a helical. You have hardly any rear stabilization for that head at all, which means ANY mistake you make...will have little correction/forgiveness.

I don't know what the trick is, but shooting helicals with 4" PlastiFletch or 2" Blazers, I can get 3 blade Muzzy 100s to group with FPs.

ruger27077
September 11th, 2006, 03:56 PM
I shoot the 4 blade 100's.I love them and never had a problem with them.I take my field points off and put them on with no problem at all.They hit right where my field points do.For what its worth I would recommend "fine tuning" your bow.For what its worth I shoot helical fletching.

mskrecek
September 11th, 2006, 04:34 PM
I didn't do anything thing with them, just assembled them and spun them on. I shootin' 27" easton excel 400's at 61 lbs. Shoot awesome all the way out to 50 yds. Wacked a cow elk with them on labor day, 15 yds out of a treestand. She came into the hoochie mama.