PDA

View Full Version : Wierdest NON-target catch

Team Hoyt PA
September 20th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I figured that since this is a new forum, i'd try to get the ball rolling a bit and bring some of the trappers out from hiding.

So anyway, what is your WEIRDEST non target catch that you have sucessfully released? Stories are a must and pictures are cool too if you have them. Post up folks!!!

Mine is a hen turkey!!!:mg:
I started trapping last year and was a little more than wet behind the ears (pratically soaked:teeth: ) when it came to LIVE releasing!!!!
I didn't have a catch pole but i had heard of many methods of releasing animals with out them and luckily i remembered one of them.
Well, There i am walking along the creek checking some coon sets and i'm coming up on a set that i had made the day before. I had seen some fox sign around there so I set a #2 vic with a dirt hole.
I come up through the bend in the creek and i can hear something in the trap but can't see anything. Finally i get to a spot where i can see the set and saw a LARGE blackish brown animal in the trap. Hmmmmm.....That DEFINATLY isn't a fox, coyote, or coon....IT'S A TURKEY:mg: :mg:
After my amazement i kind of kneeled down before getting too close and scareing her. I wanted to get a game plan together before i got too close and one of us got hurt. I noticed the jaws were firmly closed around her leg but there wasn't any bleeding or cuts. Also noticed that the set wasn't torn up at all. So she was a fairly recect catch and hasn't spent much time there.
Finally i figured out what i was going to do and started to SLOWLY walk up to her. She was clucking quite a bit so i started to talk to her in a really calm voice while i took my jacket off and grabbed my trap shovel. She was suprisingly calm so I slowly lifted my jacket up with the shovel and draped it over her body.....but then the jacket slipped and she stepped on it.:(
So much for that idea. So i decided that i'd better just do it the hard way and really be careful.
While still talking to her in a calm voice i took my trap shovel and lowered it to the bottom of the back of her neck so she couldn't reach back at me and peck. With my free hand i slowly reached out and supported her body.
After that i lifted her off the ground the slightest bit to get the trap out from under her and spread the jaws with my feet.....WALLA, FREE TURKEY!!!!
I put her down on the ground with caution and slowly started to release her from my arms until all at once i jumped back. She jumped once and ran about 30 yards and finally just flew way.

It was truly unbelievable that i had done something THAT well for the first time. I figured one of us would be walking away with cuts and bruises (me:embara: ) but both of us went about our business UNHARMED and free!!!!

Ne_Archer
September 20th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Does myself count?:mg: Other than that the weirdest non-catch I have had was a snapping turtle in a 330 and a small bass in a 110.

Matt / PA
September 20th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I haven't done any trapping since college 15yrs ago in Clinton Co.
We ran a small trapline in the fall to make some extra cash for "educational" purposes.:D .......Anyway I don't have any odd release stories but I am glad for that.......Try walking up on a corner cut cornfield dirt hole and seeing a "circle" cut in the earth about 15ft in diameter!:mg:
We had caught a black bear in a #2 that was double staked and by the looks of it we had him for quite a while. Big claw marks all the way around the edge of the circle and the ground looked like it had been disked up. We never did find a trace of that trap, chain or stakes. Could you imagine rounding that corner at first light? WHOA.

We also caught a Great Blue Heron in a pond set that we had been catching mink out of........trap and stake were gone one day and we spotted it about 20 yards away on the bank. It had big ol' Heron toe in it. Again.........what the heck would you do there? It would be like trying to release a Pterodactyl.:D

We do have a video somewhere of a live release on a BIG male bobcat with the help of the local WCO. A pair of Falconers gloves, a catch pole and big set of Cajones later and he was safely released. I never heard more angry noises in my life. That was not a happy animal and when he was let free of the catch pole he actually thought about it for a second before turning and bounding off.

smallgamehunter
September 23rd, 2006, 03:30 AM
if my thumbs and a foot count then yea those would be my weirdest

GreggWNY
September 23rd, 2006, 06:04 PM
Snowshoe rabbit in a dirt hole set for fox with meat, lure and fox urine.

brk
September 24th, 2006, 03:33 PM
i know a guy who caught a coyote in a live trap i met him at a trapping convention my dad also caught a pheasant once

gmherps
September 24th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Weirdest catch for me was a #220 Coni for coon and catching a squirell. Poor thing damn near snapped in half!!!

Or this one:

http://photos.imageevent.com/gmherps/huntingpics/websize/new%20camera%20077.jpg

Going for coon and fox and caught this little oinker!!

drahthaar
September 25th, 2006, 12:15 PM
I know a guy that caught a bald eagle in a bobcat set. Released it without and harm to him or the eagle.

AK-AZ
September 26th, 2006, 05:39 PM
My own dumb damn dog!!! Most of the time they learn to recognize the smell of trap bait and stay away from it, but this dog wouldn't learn.

I once caught a badger in a bobcat set, looked like WWII had occurred on that spot!! There weren't no letting that bad boy loose without serious damage to someone I care a great deal about. I went ahead and skinned him later (you want to try something frustrating, skin a badger), got $10 bucks for him I think.

MT Kevin
October 13th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Caught a grouse in a bobcat set once, I would have turned him loose but his leg was busted and it was bird season. I think he was planning on dusting himself in the fresh dirt at my set. Also caught a lion in a #3 longspring at a bobcat set. We were checking after school and it was dark, heck of a surprise when we came around the corner. We called the fish and game and they came out. We were trying to figure out how we could release it alive. The warden showed up armed to the hilt and said he was just going to shoot it. We started up the hill and he was scared. He kept asking us if we knew where it was for sure. When we told him it was on a drag and could have moved he lost all his nerve and fell behind quite a ways. We found the lion again and hollared to him that we found it and he said just shoot it and bring it down to him. We brought the lion and the trap down so he could check the trap tag. When we got down to him he asked who had a lion tag and we said neither of us. He then asked who shot it. When my buddy said he did the warden told him he was going to write him a ticket. When we told him he could find his own way off the mountain in the dark with no flashlight he changed his mind. Remember, we wanted to release it but he told us to shoot it. Also caught a muskrat by the tail in a B.M.I. 330 set for beaver.

zm1
October 16th, 2006, 10:38 AM
When my buddy said he did the warden told him he was going to write him a ticket. When we told him he could find his own way off the mountain in the dark with no flashlight he changed his mind. Remember, we wanted to release it but he told us to shoot it.QUOTE]

I have come to believe that most game wardens are butt holes and most of them would pull something like that just to write a ticket. I have very little respect for them. If you can't trust the law, who can you trust?

P'duck
October 16th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I ran a trapline with a friend once we found a not too happy crow in a coon trap. I was amazed at finding a crow of all things, man that trap was sensitive.

MT Kevin
October 18th, 2006, 01:52 AM
I tend to agree with you. I honestly believe that they feel their job is to harass outdoorsmen. I have met a few decent ones but more bad than good. My buddy and I were coon hunting across the state about a month ago, we were sitting at a fishing access waiting for dark so we could turn some dogs loose and here comes a warden. Young guy with a rookie attitude gives us the old " what are you doing? what's your names? where are you hunting? how long are you here for?" I think it would be easier to go through customs than hunt in my home state sometimes. The best part is that we were just pulling out of the fishing access to go hunting on some private ground and he pulled in front of us blocking the way out to give us all this crap. I would like to load the hounds and some traps and spend some time in that country, but I couldn't take too much of the "rookie" before I lost my self control.

Buksknr53
October 19th, 2006, 07:33 PM
My weirdest catch was a housecat while practicing fly casting in my back yard. I was casting a Hula Popper when the cat came out of nowhere and grabbed the lure and took off with the drag screaming. I managed to corner the cat under the house and found that it was hopelessly hooked in the mouth. I had no choice but to take it to the Vet. The Vet removed the hooks and gave the cat a tetnus shot and me a bill for $50. I didn't even know who the owner of the cat was. I just bought it home and let it go with a boot in it's backside to send it on it's way!

AK-AZ
October 23rd, 2006, 07:47 PM
My weirdest catch was a housecat while practicing fly casting in my back yard. I was casting a Hula Popper when the cat came out of nowhere and grabbed the lure and took off with the drag screaming. I managed to corner the cat under the house and found that it was hopelessly hooked in the mouth. I had no choice but to take it to the Vet. The Vet removed the hooks and gave the cat a tetnus shot and me a bill for $50. I didn't even know who the owner of the cat was. I just bought it home and let it go with a boot in it's backside to send it on it's way!

.22 is a lot cheaper.

bucks/bass
October 28th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Redtail Hawk in a fox set,released it with the old carhart coat tricked,was pretty intense.

Muskyhunter1
January 5th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I caught a weasel and a squirrel. I figure the weasel was chasing the squirrel. My buddy also caught a large Northern Pike in a Otter set that was baited with a whitefish. He said it made a fine meal.

dtwarrow
January 9th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Some of ya'll need to tighten your pan tension a little so that stuff aint happening as much...

I have caught a pit bull in a coyote trap, and a house cat in a coon snare. She was so timid I was able to release her without even using gloves. The Pit bull was another story... Just called the SPCA to get him... I'd rather deal with a coyote any day. Other than that I have been lucky. I do ADC work so usually when I set for a particular critter, I know that is what is there... Been luckey enough to never get a skunk in a coon set either... so far... I do a lot of live trap / cage trapping though, and it will happen sooner or later...

Fastfred
January 16th, 2007, 08:42 AM
last wk, a buzzard in bobcat cage. Wasn't too hard to release.

slamjammer1
January 19th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Went up to a fisher set in a pail set with a 220 conibear that was set off. No tracks that I could see around and I couldn't see anything in the trap. When I picked the trap up there he was, a tiny lesser black tipped weasel.I mean tiny. Smallest one I have ever seen. I think he set it off with the bait. Caught a skunk late in the season with the same type of set. Smelled so bad I just left it there to rot off till fall.

WildAntlers
January 24th, 2007, 03:02 PM
After 20 years, I started trapping again last year. For coyote & coon mostly.

My weirdest catch was a German Shepard.
The shepard was caught in a dry run (leg hold).
In the late 80's cell phones were not a standard in every high school student's pocket. So I hoofed it to a friends house for help. Being the invincible teenagers that we thought we were we just ran in for the release. Needless to say Carhart coats are as durable as they say they are. I threw my coat over the dog's head and shoulders and went in the take down. While hanging on for dear life and trying my best not to get bit, my buddy opened the trap. For a few seconds the dog didn't realize it was loose but that soon passed and it was off to the races with nothing more than a small limp.

Nothing too weird recently. ...A skunk last year. Needless to say he stayed in the trap until spring thaw.

-WildAntlers

AK-AZ
January 24th, 2007, 07:08 PM
After 20 years, I started trapping again last year. For coyote & coon mostly.

My weirdest catch was a German Shepard.
The shepard was caught in a dry run (leg hold).
In the late 80's cell phones were not a standard in every high school student's pocket. So I hoofed it to a friends house for help. Being the invincible teenagers that we thought we were we just ran in for the release. Needless to say Carhart coats are as durable as they say they are. I threw my coat over the dog's head and shoulders and went in the take down. While hanging on for dear life and trying my best not to get bit, my buddy opened the trap. For a few seconds the dog didn't realize it was loose but that soon passed and it was off to the races with nothing more than a small limp.

Nothing too weird recently. ...A skunk last year. Needless to say he stayed in the trap until spring thaw.

-WildAntlers

LOL, the old boy who taught me to trap, skinned all of his skunks!!! I can hear him now 'ya get $2 for them skivet cats ya know!!!'. He hit a scent gland on one of them and I thought his wife and my mother both were going to kill him. :pukey: Place stunk for a month!!!!

Hoyt Hunter
January 28th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I dont trap very much at all but we were having proablems with chipmunks around my house so I ended up havin to buy a very small live trap. One day I went to check it and a big ol' gray squirrel had jamed itself in it for that little bit of seed. I let him go and caught that little chipmunk the next day.

souwest_ghillie
January 29th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Caught a big Lamprey eel in a submarine trap for muskrats out in the tide water marshes several years ago. Thought I had two or three rats in it as I peered over the side of the canoe. I got quite a surprise when I hauled it up with my gaff.

fusiontrix
January 29th, 2007, 02:42 PM
.22 is a lot cheaper.

I'm probably going to hell for laughing at that but THAT was funny.

Hoyt Hunter
January 29th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Some of ya'll need to tighten your pan tension a little so that stuff aint happening as much...

I have caught a pit bull in a coyote trap, and a house cat in a coon snare. She was so timid I was able to release her without even using gloves. The Pit bull was another story... Just called the SPCA to get him... I'd rather deal with a coyote any day. Other than that I have been lucky. I do ADC work so usually when I set for a particular critter, I know that is what is there... Been luckey enough to never get a skunk in a coon set either... so far... I do a lot of live trap / cage trapping though, and it will happen sooner or later...

I used to trap skunks out of a nieborhood area and I have learned form a old mountain man if you shoot them in strait down into the back and break there spinal cord before they can kick there back legs they wont be able to spray. I also learned that you can aproche a live trap with a skunk in it if you do it slowly they wont spray because they cant stand to smell themselve when they spray so it works were they are confined and cant get away. That is always been my expirence.

Team Hoyt PA
January 29th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I used to trap skunks out of a nieborhood area and I have learned form a old mountain man if you shoot them in strait down into the back and break there spinal cord before they can kick there back legs they wont be able to spray. I also learned that you can aproche a live trap with a skunk in it if you do it slowly they wont spray because they cant stand to smell themselve when they spray so it works were they are confined and cant get away. That is always been my expirence.

Shooting them doesn't assure you they won't spray.....nothing does.
I've heard from every old timer around here about where to shoot them. And the majority just say who cares if they spray. Shoot them in head so you don't ruin the pelt. Only worth a couple bucks but hey, better than nothing.
I've been told to shoot their spine near the tail but don't hit the glands, just put a blanket or nearly anything over the tail so they can't lift to spray, perfectly broadside, straight down through the spine into the lungs......Most people know that the methods used are 1 in 100 chances of working.

The only Sure way i've been told to dispatch a skunk is by injection. Even then, you run a great risk getting the injection pole in solid before the little guy starts to not like what's going on. However, it does get the most votes when it comes to cleanly dispatching a skunk!!!!

Hoyt Hunter
January 31st, 2007, 10:55 PM
You are right. Thank God I have only had to shoot 3 and it has worked every time so far so hopefully it will keep on doing it.

hoyt bowhunting
February 1st, 2007, 12:05 PM
The weirdest think i have traped is stapping turtals with a snare, and i didnt want to stick my hand around his neck to let him go. We have got 2 now.
matt

Boonie_Hunter
February 1st, 2007, 06:03 PM
for me, probably a heron in a 110 by the beak.

brokenbow06
February 9th, 2007, 03:53 PM
A few years ago, we had tons of skunk and could hardly run coon sets without skunks. Never been sprayed (over 25 skunks), If you approch head on and talk to them they seem to relax and not want to spary. We have always used a pole with the needle to kill them and if you get it in there face and wave iit around, let them smell it, never seems to be a problem.

bigdawg
February 12th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I caught a Jackalope once.......it was unfortunate that he had already shed though. :)

mwaym
March 24th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I've caught a red-tail hawk in a fox set...... an owl in a coon set and a sucker fish in a muskrat conibear. The birds were set free by throwing a blanket over them .

jt300zx
April 12th, 2007, 12:33 AM
This isn't quite a trapping story, but we did keep the fur in the freaser until fur season. We used to bank line fish for flat heads and channel cat on the Arkansas River near the Oklahoma border. One night My dad, his friend and me were checking lines. Dad and Gary were talking about the possiblity of alligators in the river. Just joking and it was about 1 in the morning. We got to the brush pile and Gary goes to pull in the line, says we got a big one. Just a few seconds later he yells, "Its gawd da8 alligator!!" My dad's is like whatever, just pull it up. Finally, Gary agrees to pull it up again. Next, thing you know a stupid beaver comes up and tries get in the canoe at Gary. It gets in and my dad pops it with forty-five, and puts a whole in the bottom of the canoe which I had to hold my finger in till we got back to the campsite. We had snagged the stupid thing right at the tip of the tail. My dad kepted it because he felt it was only fair as he put a 45 hole in bottom of his canoe.

Brad Deffenbaug
June 8th, 2007, 05:00 PM
"Next, thing you know a stupid beaver comes up and tries get in the canoe at Gary. It gets in and my dad pops it with forty-five, and puts a whole in the bottom of the canoe which I had to hold my finger in till we got back to the campsite."

Dang, I'd like to see the video on that one!:uzi:

LAMADMAN
July 3rd, 2007, 03:20 AM
I have caught many things in leg hold traps. Caught a big white bulldog one time that just let me ease in and release the trap, boy was I relieved. Had a friend with me one day when I caught a house cat. I had a choke stick so I caught the cat handed my buddy the stick to hold while I went in to release it. the cat finally calmed down and I let the cat go and off he went with my choke stick around his neck, good job buddy. Caught a snake in a fox set baited with a bird. Caught a couple red tail hawks, used the coat method on them. caught a rabbit with his head missing. Not knowing what got his head I removed the rabbit,reset my trap,sprinkled the blood around and threw the rabbit in the creek. Next morning I had a great horned owl in the trap. caught a mink that something had tore a small hole in his back and eatten all his insides, the spine was sticking out the hole clean as could be. I think it was a hawk. I have caught several turtles. Great herons and the big white egretts those suckers will try to stab you with that bill. They cock thier heads back then thrust out at you. oppossum by the tail, fox squirrels, red birds the list goes on and on. caught a otter on the back foot in a trap that was stappled to a small dia. log about ten foot long in a ditch close to a big creek. He pulled the log until it got jammed in the mouth of this ditch so the otter was in about four feet of water. no big deal except we did not have a gun just sticks. So me and my buddy are almost chest deep trying to get this huge otter to stick his head up then we would thrash the water while trying not to get bit by this thing. It took a while but we finally got a good lick on him, he was right at six feet long. been nose to nose with an otter that pulled a stake from a muddy creek bank. He pulled the trap under a tree on the creek bank that was hollwed out. I stuck my head about water level to look in the hole and when my eyes focused he was about 10 inches from my face hiding. I got wet that day as I jumped back and fell in the water. the otter could not have got me cause he was so tangled in the tree roots.... Thats all the stories for one night .... lamadman

creekcritter
July 10th, 2007, 07:33 PM
ive caught 2 hogs in my coyote snares down here in florida.
we can't use jaw traps down here.::sad::cry:

siucowboy
July 15th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Great Blue Heron...don't ask how haha....

getting him out was fun, ask my neighbor that got a good hard jab from him in the arm trying to hold his head back with a boat oar while I depressed the springs...never heard so much swearing in my life.

fyrmn681
July 30th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I caught a muskrat in a simple blind set. Nothing strange here except it was around it's head with a leghold trap. It performed just like a conibear.

moosekiller99
September 5th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Twice I have caught bass in muskrat colony traps. Nice fish too.

trapper dan
September 11th, 2007, 04:11 PM
we trap alot of pigs here in Fla. this past spring we got a visitor that were not real used to seeing.we drove up close to the trap on the four wheelers and noticed the ears wasnt quite rite on this pig and his legs were longer than normal.to our surprise we had about a 200 lb black bear in our trap,well we called in reinforcements with the video cameras and got about 10 min. of footage on him while we tried to figure out how to release him.we got behind the trap and open the door and he was happy to run the opposite way as we were to watch him run that way.every thing turned out fine and all was happy. it was a pretty wild experience for us Fla. boys.
http://gallery.menoutdoors.com/gallery/data/847/medium/mikes_camera_079.jpg

RebelYell
September 13th, 2007, 07:13 AM
I want to see the footage. "NO, NO, You get out of the d@^m truck and open the gate"? HaHaHa

spartan212
September 20th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Strangest catch was a house cat in a dirt hole set for fox with meat. Let me tell you that cat was not a happy camper. Fortunately neither of us was harmed during the release!

johnmc25
September 20th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Not a trapper, but I found a live trap at our lease so we set it to catch a possum that was raiding camp every night. The next morning we had 7 bobwhite. You should have seen the feathers when we opened the door. Didn't know that quail liked sardines.

Another hunter set a hog trap with a closed top. One afternoon I found a little doe in it. She was throwing a fit, but hadn't hurt herself. When I opened the gate from the top she bolted out and stopped at 30 yards. I was afraid she fixing collapse, but she trotted back over to me as if to say thanks and bound off into the brush.

kja270
September 23rd, 2007, 09:32 PM
When I was a kid (40 yrs ago) I caught one of the neighbors cats in a trap.
Being new to the game, I didn't know what to do. I finnally confessed to my Mom and she asked me where it was. I told her and she soon walked out back, shot the cat, came back in and told me not to tell anyone. She liked cats alot better then dogs!

Jeff

NateW-4
September 30th, 2007, 10:49 PM
my weirdest catch ever was a sand hill crane and that was a tough one to get out.

ratliffc
December 16th, 2007, 04:56 AM
My first catch ever was in a creek set for coons was a gumbo rat almost split inhalf. I was 12 or so I was proud i actually caught something, put it in my backpack cuz i had to show it off. Well needless to say I had 5 coon to carry back home by the time i was done with my dozen sets, rat was tossed in the ditch before i got back home from my mile walk.

In Iowa at the time, Otters were illegal to trap. Got permission to go trap this marsh suposedley full of coons, well we had 3 otters in live traps. Called the DNR they had to come out and help, yeah right he was a chicken wouldnt even get within 10 feet of the snared one. Had to throw blankets over them to pin them down while someone gets the trap cut off or released. Talk about a wild ride x3 one in water...

Have a buddy who said they caught a moose by the leg in a snare set for a fox, that was tied to a small tree since he ran out of stakes on one line. He said that was the craziest thing he ever saw, think the DNR ended up shooting it, there was no getting close to it and letting it free.

foxtail
December 30th, 2007, 01:26 AM
I have had a number of interesting catches.

Ready for a book?:teeth:

I have got 2 coon by the nose. Same spot same location, different years.

Coon root around like pigs sometimes.

I have caught a number of weasels in 220 buckets where they were dead a few feet out from the empty trap.

I have caught a number of critters by hand on the line.

My friend and I were walking up the creek one day when I reached down into the water and grabbed a huge beaver by the tail and swung him up and down onto a rock. The beaver just causually swam right by me and ignored me. My friend loves to tell that story.

Another time we were out checking traps at night and we heard this terrible crashing noise right above us. Suddenly we got a shower of branches followed by a coon which landed just a couple feet from me. The water was about 3 feet deep there so I grabbed him by the tail and killed him. He tried to get me but could not do much in 3 feet of water and keep his head above water at the same time.

I have caught a number of possums by hand, but that is a cake walk anyway.

I caught a snapper in a beaver run one time and then the water froze in a real cold snap. The turtle was caught with his rear end out of the water and froze in. The trap caught him just right so that it squeezed his pecker out and it froze solid.

I took it home and when it thawed it was clearly not going to recover.(the pecker that is) It got rotten so I removed the turtle's junk and released him a few days later. Reptiles can loose body parts and often suffer no long lasting trauma, but I suspect that if the pecker would have ended up pulled back up inside, it would have killed him.

flinginairos
February 6th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I was using a live trap one summer to get the coons that were eating all of the corn from our deer feeders. My pap kept telling me that I was going to catch a skunk eventually, and he told me when I did to just walk up to them very calmly and let them out and they wouldnt spray. Well wouldnt you know it, the next day I caught one!:eek: I really didnt want to get close to that sucker but I really didnt have another choice, so I walked right up to the cage and flipped the lid and he just walked right out nice and slow like he wasnt even afraid of me!:eek: I bet I caught that skunk three or four more times and I let him out the same everytime and he never sprayed. I think he just liked me because he was getting free food!:wink:

trappertom
February 7th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I have caught 2 great horned owls in fox sets,a cat in a water set,coyote in a weasel box. Stuck his paw right in a 2 inch hole in a weasel box! Caught a hen pheasant in a water set. A mallard in a muskrat run by the head, a snapping turtle in a 330 beaver trapping, I caught a big german shepard once who jumped into my truck when I let him go and he would'nt get out! Lots of strange stuff!

frog gigger
July 11th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Now I wish I had taken the pic! I caught a snapping turtle in a snare this year. What that thing was doing in the mountains I'll never know.

DwayneR
July 14th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Ok you pro trappers...

How do I get moles out of my yard? I have tried everything from 3 to 4 different Victor traps, to poison worms, to poison bait in a cone, to these guaranteed Mole traps that look like clamps. I have even tried electricity in the ground.

The only Mole I have seen is on the internet...

Dwayne

ASeriousHunter
July 15th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I have them too, and have tried everything. I am death on gophers but these moles are tough to get. I am going to try to spray the yard for grubs. Hopefully, get rid of the food source and get rid of the moles.

A friend had a racoon set in a fenceline. Came in to check it one day and came to a ditch that he had never seen. There was one very mad badger (only one I ever saw in OK) that had dug a 3' ditch around his stake. No release there!

bowhuntr_
July 15th, 2008, 09:18 PM
All great stories.I just got my trappers licsence and haven't started trapping yet.Will be starting this fall.

BH

frog gigger
July 15th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Ok you pro trappers...

How do I get moles out of my yard? I have tried everything from 3 to 4 different Victor traps, to poison worms, to poison bait in a cone, to these guaranteed Mole traps that look like clamps. I have even tried electricity in the ground.

DwayneGet yourself a cat.

trapperDave
August 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
I once caught, and successfully released un harmed, a full grown great horned owl. Talk about talons!

trapperDave
August 2nd, 2008, 01:39 PM
Get yourself a cat.

mol-tox

ldoch
January 13th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I was living in an apartment in Indianapolis for awhile and there was of course a retention pond with a small creek feeding it. I set a couple of 110's at night and would check them every morning and night. My dog and I would walk the north edge of the pond every day also as there were no buildings on this side.
One day after work my dog runs down to where one of the conibears are set and pulls up a mallard in her mouth that we had caught. I don't know what attracted the danged duck, trap was set in a muskrat hole but I thought that my dog was going to give us away.
I also caught a mink in that inlet that stretched 34.5", I tanned the hides in the bathroom while the wife was away on work for a couple of weeks. It gave me something to do while trapped myself in the city jungle.

foxtail
June 21st, 2009, 11:19 PM
Ok you pro trappers...

Dwayne

If you have a carp spear, take and walk the entire line of burrowing so that the grass is all flattened back to the soil.

While you are working in the yard or just sitting in the house, occasionally *****-foot up to the line and look to see if the mole has come back and if the ground is moving. If the mole is working you will see it. If you see the mole working, slowly and VERY quietly sneak up to it and stabb the hell out of the ground where it is working as many times and as fast as you can. Often the spear will pull the mole right out of the ground and be on the end. Sometimes the mole will be deep enough that you just kill it.

I am not kidding about this, it really does work.

One thing though. The dog and the kids have to stay away or they will dance the mole away until you are gone for a while.

"HEY DAD!!!,(STOMP, STOMP, STOMP) "WHAT 'R' YA DOIN'?" (STOMP, STOMP, STOMP)

salthunter
July 6th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Ive caught 100's of beavers. But one strange catch a beaver walked into the snare,.. never pulled the snare down,.. just died walking up the bank.

Same pond different years a large snapping turtle and a 37 inch northen pike.
Sort of wierd,.. I was running a trapline along the Canada/ Minnesota border. A farmer I had permission from was frustrated with his wandering dogs. He said I would catch them,.I was to yell at the dogs and tell them to "go Home" I caught them 3 years in a row the first night I would set in the area, 4 and 5 miles from home.

swampboss
September 10th, 2009, 09:52 PM
It depends on what you call strange
Dogs , cats, turtles, wood ducks, fish, armadillo , crows, hawks,
snared wild pigs and a 7ft gator!
Most were released with minimum harm, but not all

Palmashooter
September 11th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Remember fooling around with underwater sets for rats using 110's. Caught a nice 12" brook trout. Released it that evening in a frying pan!!

John-in-VA
September 16th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I'm not a traper ,but we had a lot of stray cat's around . I bought a live trap.One day I cought a skunk .I got my wife to help me get it out .I had some plastic and put it on the end of a pitch fork and we eased up to the trap ,I lifted the door and the skunk would not come out ,so I slid the trap over to a tree to wedge the door open .We walked back a little and just watched ,all of a suden the skunk shot out of the trap and we both just ran for dear life .
I also cought a blue jay in the same trap,it had nocked all of the fethers off it's head ,I nick named it the bold headed blue jay .

mathews870
October 14th, 2009, 09:44 PM
i once caught a duck in a coon set, i had out foil on the pan the next morning i had a duck

dogzlife
October 15th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Caught a ruffed grouse in a 110 conibear set for mink.
Caught an 8 pound northern pike in a 330 conibear.
Lastly, caught the farmers dog in a foothold set for coon. I walked by the farmer on the way to check the set and he mentioned in a calm and matter of fact way "looks like you caught my dog." Then he stated "try to be careful." I'm thinking as I walked to the far side of the farm to check the set, geez, I wouldn't hurt your dog. Then I got about 30 yards from the dog and the snarling began. This demon was about a 100 pounds of muscle and teeth; and quite riled up from obvious reasons. It suddently became clear to me that the farmer wasn't talking about being careful with his dog. Lesson learned - I sure didn't make that mistake again.

5-Yard Pin
November 8th, 2009, 08:03 PM
i have caught two of the neighbors cats in my live trap never miss one:thumbs_up