PDA

View Full Version : steady with a bow nervous with a gun.

stump water
October 20th, 2006, 11:01 AM
am i the only hunter who can stay somewhat calm with a bow but cannot
hold off for a good shot with a gun.

Bees
October 20th, 2006, 11:11 AM
MUst be, the way to fix it is just don't use a gun anymore. :darkbeer: :darkbeer:

horseman308
October 20th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I'd be surprised if you're the only one. I imagine it depends on lots of factors for people. If you shoot a bow more, if you're recoil sensitive (with the gun), guns are much louder (combine this with recoil and flinching becomes epidemic). Either practice with a gun a lot more or take Bees advice and just use a bow!

woodchuckssuck
October 20th, 2006, 12:35 PM
buy an accurate .22 and shoot, shoot, shoot. youll become better with a gun. guns are MUCH harder to shoot offhand than a bow. with a bow, there are forces pulling INTO your bow arm that help keep you steady, with a gun you have to fight gravity to keep the gun steady...

that said im better with a gun if i have something to rest against...tree, walking stick, etc...i think most people are :)

Deezlin
October 20th, 2006, 12:55 PM
buy an accurate .22 and shoot, shoot, shoot. youll become better with a gun. guns are MUCH harder to shoot offhand than a bow. with a bow, there are forces pulling INTO your bow arm that help keep you steady, with a gun you have to fight gravity to keep the gun steady...

that said im better with a gun if i have something to rest against...tree, walking stick, etc...i think most people are :)

Perhaps, I am not following. I have shot rifles and shotguns for many years before ever getting back into archery. It is good, you can wait on a good shot with a bow. I don't wait with a rifle much either. I aim at what I want to hit and I usually hit it. I will take a frontal shot or even a rearward shot. I have consistently killed deer either way. If I am presented with a broad side shot which is rare, I go for the shoulder.

Now, I do agree that shooting off hand with a rifle is harder than with a bow as far as steadiness is concerned. I have literally shot thousands of rounds. When, I raise the gun, I have already selected the aiming spot, I usually get on and make a firm squeeze on the trigger pretty quick.

Now, the first year after, I returned to archery, I sighted in a gun. I had been shooting a lot with the bow that year. I notice a definite improvement in my off hand groups at 100 yards. I am sure, the practice with a bow had strengthened many of my upper body muscles.

MikeK
October 20th, 2006, 08:31 PM
am i the only hunter who can stay somewhat calm with a bow but cannot hold off for a good shot with a gun.
What caliber? Maybe you're over-gunned and it's making you flinch.

88 PS190
October 20th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I agree, either you've had a bad experience (12 w/ a 10 gauge) Dirty uncle syndrome is my little name for it.

.22's or pellet games help, as does moving to smaller calibers.

technically a .22 magnum will anchor a deer sized animal when used properly, yet people insist on shooting magnums and ultra mags. I don't understand it.

(I do not endorse or condone shooting of deer sized game with a rimfire, .223 if you must my minimum rifle is a .243 up to 250 or a 30-08 out to 400 based on KE and accuracy from my guns)

.22 and 10,000 rounds will make you competant.

Meleagris1
October 20th, 2006, 08:37 PM
What caliber? Maybe you're over-gunned and it's making you flinch.

Yup. Sounds like your shooting a caliber out of your comfort zone. Not uncommon. Also, shooting very high power scopes that magnify every little movement will create serious target anxiety if you are not careful. Rarely in a hunting situation do you need more than a 4 power scope. Same with archery, I can't shoot an 8 power scope indoors, I'm much more comfortable with a 4 power or less.

jkkfam89
October 20th, 2006, 08:37 PM
your bow generally doesnt kick back

88 PS190
October 20th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Yup. Sounds like your shooting a caliber out of your comfort zone. Not uncommon. Also, shooting very high power scopes that magnify every little movement will create serious target anxiety if you are not careful. Rarely in a hunting situation do you need more than a 4 power scope. Same with archery, I can't shoot an 8 power scope indoors, I'm much more comfortable with a 4 power or less.

unless you are a varmint hunter, most of my scopes are max'd between 24 and 36x, for woodies.

t8ter
October 20th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I'm like that.Blame mine on a old jamomatic.That gun has ruined me.Just sighted in 2 guns today.270wsmag got me twice in the head.WOW that didn't help matters.Slug gun,like a dream could shoot it allday.May have to send 270wsm down the road .

88 PS190
October 20th, 2006, 09:04 PM
t8ter, what's your eye relief on your scope?

I've shot 270 wsm's they're stiff but not that bad, if you have 4" eye relief on max power you shouldn't get clipped in the head.

My grandpa had a 30-06 with a scope that had ~2.5" eye relief, that was scary stuff.