PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to stay out all day?

booger
November 9th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Another rookie question. I haven't stayed out the whole day yet and think it is because I tend to see deer more right at sunlight and sunset. My chances might be better if I could stay out all day, but is it really worth it? I usually come in to eat and relax from 10-2 since IMO deer are hard to come by at this time. That and I can't stand just sitting there for 12 straight hours. How many have shot deer in that 10-2 window?

IGluIt4U
November 9th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Another rookie question. I haven't stayed out the whole day yet and think it is because I tend to see deer more right at sunlight and sunset. My chances might be better if I could stay out all day, but is it really worth it? I usually come in to eat and relax from 10-2 since IMO deer are hard to come by at this time. That and I can't stand just sitting there for 12 straight hours. How many have shot deer in that 10-2 window?
Five days ago... at 12:35pm... :wink:

and I saw more bucks between 11 and 2 then I normally see in the am and pm hunts... :noidea: :wink:

skipper34
November 10th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Last year I shot my big 8-point the day after Thanksgiving at 2 pm. That was after I had seen 2 smaller bucks that day, first one at about 10:30 am and the second around 1:00 pm. Yes, I have seen many bucks during midday hours. Yes, I always sit all day long when I hunt during firearm season. Especially opening day. Other hunters are doing exactly what you do, they get up and move and thus they move the deer. Where I hunt on private land in Genesee county there are always other hunters on the surrounding property who are moving around at midday and many times the deer will move from one property to another to escape the human intrution. My advice is, no matter where you hunt, plan to spend the entire day afield. Take enough food and beverage, even a good book or magazines, to occupy your time while on stand. Make sure that you are comfy and warm so that you can sit for the long hours. I hunt from a pop-up blind which is set up 2 or 3 weeks beforehand or from a climbing tree stand, depending on the wind and weather. I tag my pop-up blinds with a warning to any would-be thieves that the blind is under hidden camera surveillance and I have never had one come up missing. If it is raining or snowing I always hunt from the ground blinds. If the weather is good, up the tree I go. My Summit climber allows me to remain comfortable enough for an all-day sit. If you can hack it, try to stay all day on opening day, and many times it will pay off.

BowHunter6666
November 10th, 2006, 12:07 AM

I use to be the same way I just wanted to go out and kill which is why were all out there. But then I started to realize what was around me God creation I mean you can watch other wild life and enjoy the peace sure it may be boring at times but I have a great time watching chipmunks chase eachother or a gray squirrel feeding. IM still out there to kill that's my main goal but the simple things make me glad to be in the woods but when you finally see that deer outta no where it makes that wait better. I sat the other day from 12-5 it was windy and rained some not a nice day but I was entertained by the squirrels then finally at dark I got a shot at a buck. I blew the 12 yard shot but I still done regret any of it I have to say it was one of my best days afield.

In that 5 hour span I just seen a doe and the buck but the feeling I got of putting my time in paid off but I messed up. I would say sit as long as you possibly can with the rut now theres not telling what could cruise through.
Put your time in and you will be rewarded you can kill one sitting 2 hrs but I believe if you sit 6 hours or the whole day as your talking about your chances get A LOT higher.

Maybee-R
November 10th, 2006, 12:11 AM
public land all the hunters go in at 10-12 and come back around 3 thats when the deer thats bedded get stirred up and come by my stands.

bob101
November 10th, 2006, 12:17 AM
You can kill deer in the middle of the day and big deer during the day, I have harvest records from lots of places to prove it.

That being said - if you get to the point you can't sit still and can't keep from fidgeting on the stand it's time to get down - most likely all your doing is education the deer. Doesn't matter if you can only stay 2 hours or 12 hours - only stay on stand when you can be still and concentrate, especially bowhunting.

ciscokid
November 10th, 2006, 12:18 AM
public land all the hunters go in at 10-12 and come back around 3 thats when the deer thats bedded get stirred up and come by my stands.

Same down here. I see most activity from about 11:15- 2:30.

It all seems to be based on the pressure and activity around them.

On private land here they move differently.

If you don't try it how are you going to know for sure. Go hunting with a set time you will stay on stand & Stick with it!

panhandlepat
November 10th, 2006, 12:20 AM
i can't sit longer than 5 hours in my climber (previous back surgery)
but ,i will bring enough food and drink and stay...
either under my tree for lunch and a nap or at my truck.
cause it's "move your feet lose your seat" here :rolleyes:

booger
November 10th, 2006, 12:33 AM
alright I hunt on private property and there isn't much pressure, couple other bowhunters around and my buddy (to a lot of land). Guns aren't allowed since it is a wildlife refuge, although all around it is not a refuge and you will hear gun shots all day. I would figure this would push them in my area.

I swear I can sit from 2 or 3 until sundown when I can't see anymore is when I get in my car and shine a deer everytime on the way out. :mad:

And if you bring food with you aren't you alerting the deer by the scent, moving and making some minimal noise?

panhandlepat
November 10th, 2006, 12:47 AM
alright I hunt on private property and there isn't much pressure, couple other bowhunters around and my buddy (to a lot of land). Guns aren't allowed since it is a wildlife refuge, although all around it is not a refuge and you will hear gun shots all day. I would figure this would push them in my area.

I swear I can sit from 2 or 3 until sundown when I can't see anymore is when I get in my car and shine a deer everytime on the way out. :mad:

And if you bring food with you aren't you alerting the deer by the scent, moving and making some minimal noise?
you have been patterned my friend.:wink:
mix it up

ciscokid
November 10th, 2006, 12:49 AM
If you see them when you leave, mark that spot and come back the next day. Find the trail that they are using and follow it into the woods. Walk on the side of the deer trail, not in the middle. Locate a good staging area around some kind of terrain feature to setup a stand. See if it pays off.

In my area, i have actually patterned a group of does that comes through an area that is half a mile from where i see them in a field every night. I just got lucky that evening and put it all together.

If you don't see the deer during daylight hours, try staying past sunset. They may be coming from a long ways off. If so, you will have to try to cut them off somewhere on their journey to the spot where you see them come out.

booger
November 10th, 2006, 12:55 AM
thats a great idea, and I do stay out until it is dark and I have to use my headlamp. But tracking where they were is a great idea, I can do that in one spot, but my other spot I see them on the neighbor's property coming into their front yard - so I can't do much about that.

Cedarstripper
November 10th, 2006, 02:46 AM
I do it 50/50. I hunt a State Park that gets a lot of human traffic. In all the days that I have hunted there the last few years I have yet to see a mid day deer. I have conceeded that I may not see deer during the afternoon hours. Sometimes I sit out to enjoy the day. Others, I just want to hunt and will pack it up for the afternoon only to arrive later for dusk. I think the problem in my neck of the woods is that the only time the deer do not get pressured is dawn and dusk!