Archery Talk Forum banner

How to Hunt Weird Ohio Weather?

495 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  solohunter 
#1 ·
My 11 yo son and I are hunting for the first time, so both our learning curves are pretty steep.

We've been out three of the last four mornings in Central Ohio. Haven't seen much activity. We usually see deer everytime we go out on this piece of property.

I'm interested in the thoughts and experiences of wiser, more experienced bowhunters...is this lack of activity due to post peak rut? Or is the unusally warm weather causing changes in deer movement?

Many Thanks.

#2 ·
Sit tight...the chasing phase is over and more likely than not the bucks are held up with a good doe in or near a bedding area. They won't be out and about much...it's baby-making time. Your next best chance to see a lot of activity with the youngster is going to be the post-rut where the unbred does will be sought out. Mid-day cruising always seems to be the norm when this occurs. After this has come and gone, think food sources early morning and later in the day. The bucks need to recover and have lost substantial reserves...they will need to put those on again before winter hits.

#4 · (Edited)
Here in N.H. the weather has been lousy also. First week of rifle was all rain and warm. The whole archery since season 15 sep has been warm as well as gun season. There have been almost ZERO scrapes and little movement. When you have conditions like this hunting is really a challenge, and with a very low deer population ( 1 per SQ mile where I am ) it just plain stinks. I have not seen a deer in 23 days of hunting DAILY! I have been putting in about 6-8 hours a day in various palces and sign is scarce.

I really feel the warm weather has limited movement as the deer have their heavy winter coats. Places where there have been scrapes for years haven't been touched. I have covered quite a bit of ground looking and I am astounded at the lack of activity. I did get a buck with my muzzleloader on one of the 3 cooler days ( 45 degrees ) but its been high 50's and low to high 60's most of Nov. I think the swamps are the best bet as it is dark and offers cooler conditions with the shade and water as well as feed. Hopefully the late rut will improve conditions, gun season ends in a week but archery is good through 15 Dec.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.