Archery Talk Forum banner

"07 Elk Hunt

557 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  3DBIGBULLX 
#1 ·
My son and I are going to Idaho in Sept. "07 for our first elk hunt. We are bowhunting. Unguided. We, or I, am looking for any and all information I can find about the best calls, and how to use them. Also, maybe somewhere I can look for a list of necessities we will need if we are lucky enough to get an elk. Any help will be appreciated...

#2 ·
A great man and AT member named Elknut will be on and he can steer you in the right direction! Paul knows his calling......I think he sleeps with the elk to get that good.....:wink:

He has a website too. http://www.elknut.com/Directions_1.html

#3 ·
Do you have a zone picked out already? That can make a diference in some extent to what sort of gear to bring along. Things that are in my pack while I'm elk hunting include: camera, bugle, at least two or three different cow calls, at least two knives, an accusharp for in the field touch ups on the knives, small hatchet, 50 feet of parachute cord, water, some food, clothing in it depends on temp and conditions, gamebags big enough for a quarter or a half, and a pulley and rope set up or two. Elk are a big animal and a HUGE animal once they hit the ground. A good solid packframe can be worth its weight in gold once one is down and its time to get it out of the woods. Nothing can replace being in great shape and mentally solid and prepared. I've had great luck with a Primos Hyper Lip double with their tone converter the last few years for a cow call, but like I said I usually have two or three with just because I'm an elk junky. Be aware that Idaho requires at arrows weigh at least 400 grains, 65% let off maximum, and no mechanical broadheads.

#4 ·
I have been useing calls by Primo's, the pack bugle ,the cow girl - calf/cow call, the hyper lip single and a couple mouth calls and was on bulls all the time with them. Shot a huge 6x6 on sept. 17 and lost him in a steep thick canyon and after looking for two and a half days for him I killed a decent 5x5 on sept. 20 useing those calls. One thing I would do is find a local with some horses to pack out the meat and antlers if I needed it, if you go in a long ways to hunt. I don't know about the area your going to hunt but in NM where I elk hunt if you didn't have horses I think we'd still be trying to pack the elk out.Elk hunting can be alot of work but I love elk hunting and can't wait for September 1, 2007! Have fun and good luck.

#5 ·
We are staying near Elk City. We will be hunting the Nez Pierce forest. Your comments are great. I am making a list of all the suggestions so far..Thanks

#7 ·
What Tone said is true. Idaho also requires a bowhunter education certificate/card be shown if you are going to hunt the archery season. Also, be sure to get your tags early because non-resident elk tags are sold on a first come, first served basis. I am certain that you know to carry the usual survival gear, etc. But I would also second having a sturdy, comfortable pack frame to get your elk out of the woods. I use a Bull Pac pack frame and consider it one of the best investments in hunting equipment I've ever made.

#8 ·
So more than likely buying Elk City zone tags to hunt unit 15. Start getting in shape now. Elevation isn't a huge concern in the area, but its plenty steep in places and real brushy as well. Like Rooselk I too use a Bull Pac, best frame I've seen for just packing meat. Others may be better at hauling camping stuff, but for just carrying a load I doubt they can be beat. I have some friends that hunt that area that have done fairly well the last few years with lots of elk seen and some nice bulls as well. Not huge elk numbers there anymore like we used to have unfortunately. Feel free to PM me with anything and I'll help where I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.