Archery Talk Forum banner

Mathews or a ross???

980 views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  Dannyw 
#1 ·
Ok so im 17, i have been shooting archery for about allmost 2 years. My dad baught me a hoyt ultra mag for my first bow. My dad shoots a Mathews and so does his buddy we hunt with. so im lookin into gettin a new bow in about a month or two, what do you guys prefere? I went and checked out the ross 331 and about fell in love with it, and i havnt even shot it yet, but then again i looked at the new mathews drenelin, and again i liked it.. accorc ei will shoot both before i make my decision but what do you think will last longer and help me improve my shooting either in the range or in the feild? Thanks for your time..

#6 ·
In my opinion, and this is just MY opinion, the Mathews Drenalin is by far a better bow. I absolutely love my Switchback and after shooting it side by side with the new Drenalin, I am selling my Switchie and I'll be placing an order for a Drenalin Tuesday or Wednesday.

I am not taking anything away from a Ross, they are indeed very nice bows, but of the 2 you listed I would definitely be going for the Mathews.

That being said, let one of the 2 bows choose you, don't choose one of the bows ;)

#7 ·
I know you are asking about the Ross 331 and the Mathews Drenalin which are both spectacular bows. Having shot them both along with a few others the other day, I ended up buying a Hoyt Vectrix. Pretty tough piece of equipment. If you have not held or shot the Vectrix it may be worth 5 minutes of your time to try it out.

Matt

#8 ·
Shoot em before you decide.

I have had Mathews (2 of them) Bowtech (3 of them), Hoyt, Newberry, and Storm and ended up keeping the Ross bows over all of them (except Tribute):wink:

In my opinion, you can not go wrong with a Ross.

Good Luck.

#10 ·
bows

I'll tell you the same thing I tell my kids in my archery club at school Mathews is one of the best bows made. But there are so many great bows out there to choose from. There is not much difference in any of them. Ross is coming out with a new speed bow in january you may wait until they come out to make your decision. We cannot tell you which one to buy.I own a mathews and the ross 331. All in all there is not much difference in the two bows. Shoot them both and you make up your own mind. Don't buy a bow just because it is a mathews or a ross or martin, bowtech, hoyt or whoever. Shoot them all and then you decide. Don't let others influence your decisions. Don't let the bow shops decide for you because they are just trying to make some money off of you. Your old enough to make up your own mind shoot them all and choose the one you like best. Just my opinion.

#11 ·
How about this instead of one of those to bows, you might want to ck. out the Alpine Silverado! Its short sweet w/ plenty of zip to boot! Be prepared for your Dads weird looks though. Talk about throwing a curve, Ck. it out and see! Crazy Wolf!

#12 ·
Well, since you're 17, you've got some growing left to do. Modules for a Ross are (I think) about $10 vs (I think) $75 for a new Mathews cam everytime your draw length changes. Just another thing to think about. :darkbeer:

#14 ·
I think the ROSS is one of the best built bows for the money, there craftsmen ship and fit and Finnish on there bows are great, but they really aren't doing anything ground breaking that sets them apart IMO, they shoot good, they just don't make you say WOW, IMO they don't shoot anywhere as well as a Switchback XT, Mathews Drenalin, Hoyt Vectrix, Bowtec Allegiance, but if your looking to save a few Hundred $$ over any of the above mentioned I think Ross is a great bargain and a great bow.

#15 ·
In '05 I shot a Switchback. This year I have been shooting a Ross 337. They are both great bows, you can't go wrong with either.

One thing to think about if money is an issue for you. The Ross comes with Winners choice strings, Limbsavers and a great grip. I wouldn't shoot the the Mathews with the stock grip so I consider the Ross grip a cost saver vs the Mathews. All in all you get a lot of quality aftermarket gear on the Ross as standard equipment. I think it is a great value.

If money is not an issue for you, then shoot em both and get what you like best.

#16 ·
Both are excellent bows but at 17 unless you have already stopped growing you might need to move up to a longer draw length. The Mathews requires a complete cam switchover whereas the Ross just uses draw length mods. The Ross will be easier to grow with.

#17 ·
mdewitt71 said:
I have had Mathews (2 of them) Bowtech (3 of them), Hoyt, Newberry, and Storm and ended up keeping the Ross bows over all of them (except Tribute):wink:

In my opinion, you can not go wrong with a Ross.

Good Luck.
Ditto On THat!!:wink:

#19 ·
Ross

Both are great bows. See which grip feels best for you. Since your young it would be nice to be able to grow with the Ross. You can take it to your dealer and get whatever draw module you need for an even exchange (free). That is something you should consider. Mathews cams get expensive....I know.

If you buy the ross take the money you save and buy a top of the line sight.

I recently built my cousin a new CR334 with Copper John Sight, Dropzone rest, 1 Dozen Gold tip XT 7595, Tranquilizer Stab, and STS for $750. All items were puchased new online via auctions or specials. Took me 2 weeks. That total price included shipping to PA after I assembled and tuned it. Thats an entire awesome bow for the price of a Mathews.

These are my thoughts, but either way you cant go wrong. The bows from many manufacturers these days are just so nice. Get what YOU want and what FEELS best.

#21 · (Edited)
KEN-813 said:
I think the ROSS is one of the best built bows for the money, there craftsmen ship and fit and Finnish on there bows are great, but they really aren't doing anything ground breaking that sets them apart IMO, they shoot good, they just don't make you say WOW, IMO they don't shoot anywhere as well as a Switchback XT, Mathews Drenalin, Hoyt Vectrix, Bowtec Allegiance, but if your looking to save a few Hundred $$ over any of the above mentioned I think Ross is a great bargain and a great bow.
All of these are opinions and everyone is DEFINITLY entitled to their own but I just could disagree with this anymore so I had to post. I bought my Ross after shooting the XT and Allegiance and Trykon (the Drenalin and Vectrix weren't out then) and thought it was a better shooter and was quieter than the Allegiance but not quite as quiet as the XT but I liked it better overall than all three. The fit and finish IMO (and many others) is better than any of the above bows and the attention to detail is outstanding. Combine that with a better string than any of the bows mentioned (winner’s choice) and you simply have a great bow at any price. I had the money to get any bow I wanted and I bought the Ross because I liked it best not because it was cheaper (that was just a HUGE plus). This is NOT a budget bow that you need to buy to save some coin it’s an outstanding bow priced below its valve because its soooo hard for new bows to jump into such a competitive market IMO. But shoot em' and see for yourself.

#22 ·
deadquiet said:
I had the money to get any bow I wanted and I bought the Ross because I liked it best not because it was cheaper (that was just a HUGE plus).
Likewise. CR331.

deadquiet said:
This is NOT a budget bow that you need to buy to save some coin it’s an outstanding bow priced below its valve because its soooo hard for new bows to jump into such a competitive market IMO. But shoot em' and see for yourself.
Agreed, and great advice.

#23 ·
I recently bought a Ross 334 and there isn't a thing to change on this bow for a top notch hunting bow. The only complaint I hear is a lack of speed. However, it is faster than you would ever need to kill any animal. I bought this bow as a hunting bow and it is the best one out there for this as far as I am concerned.
Nate

#24 ·
I have a Mathews Switchback Xt and I have shot both ross and mathews, I am impressed with the ross, it almost seemed quicker than my xt but I cant prove that I didnt chrono it, But they are both quality bows that you cannot go wrong with

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.