Archery Talk Forum banner

Who lines up Blades with Feathers?

951 views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  WiseGuy 
#1 ·
I was just wondering who all lines up their broadhead's blades with the fletching. Some people say it works better, some don't.

I have G5 Strikers and was wondering if I should be lining them up with my feathers or not.

Do most people just use a small O-ring or what is the best???

#2 ·
I use to install a broadhead then line my feathers up with it , but now I am using a 4 blade and still only 3 feathers so it is kinda hard to line them up . Arrows still fly awsome ......

#3 ·
Forget about lining up your blades with your vanes. There is no impact of one upon the other. If anything you may need to index your nock to achieve better arrow flight. If they spin true, then you are golden:thumb:

#5 ·
I tested that theory myself 3 years ago.
Different arrow weights, fletch size, offsetvs helical vs straight, different heads....Muzzy 100 3 blade, Montec, Thunderhead, Magnus Snuffer and Magnus stinger 4 and 2 blade, Sattelitte Titan, GKF deadhead...

I did it over 3 days in the summer and tested only shot by me at 50 yards and shot 3 groups of 3 arrows with each combo and recorded with fletch lined and than misaligned and did it again.

No difference.

That being said....if ti makes you feel better or more confident or you think it makes a difference than go for it.:wink:

#10 ·
If memory serves me.......

one of the major broadhead manufacturers even prints it on the packaging of their product that it's not worth messing with. Some of my customers insist on doing it, but in 15yrs of shooting I've never seen it make a difference.

#11 ·
although ive argued with people that swear it helps, i don't do it. i think the confusion started when someone said "broadheads must be in alignment" i believe that was meant to be with the shaft, not feathers. also, if the arrow is spinning, what could the relationship possibly be? as someone stated in an earlier post, if you do it and you think it helps, by all means continue. confidence in your equipment is priceless....

#12 ·
chadwickz71 said:
Anyways, yeah i don't line them up either but some of the older guys i hunt with swear by it. I wonder if it used to be a big trend.
Back in the day it used to be Gospel. Some guys were even shooting 90* four fletch with there four blade heads...........;)
Old traditions die hard...........:darkbeer:

#16 ·
Hey Kelly which broadhead flew the best out of the ones you tested...
They all grouped very well once I go them to spin true, not all would spin though.

The Sattelites had some tolerance issues (like 12-18 grains difference in heads from the same pack:embara: )

The older 125 snuffers with the glue in adapters were tough sometimes....I had to re-seat and spin the adapter to get them to seat evenly and spin true but once I did they flew like darts.

They all had slightly different POI but grouped well. If I had the gumption I'm sure I could get any of them tuned toa lazer and hunt worthy.

The older 2 blade Stingers (one peice ones...not the new ones) had real issues with wind planing above about 280fps but were fine when I backed the poundage or heavy-ed up the arrow to slow it to 275 or so.

Of all of those I wound up using the Magnus Singer 100 4 blade for my fixed head and haven't been disappointed yet.

#19 ·
If your bow is out of tune it will make a difference. Not because they are lined up with the vanes but because they are all lined up the same and will plane the same. Change the broadhead orientaion and you will get a different point of impact. Well tuned bow... little difference.

#20 ·
To each his own but I stopped believing the theory the same night I left cookies and milk out and that chit head took my bottle of Crown Royal instead!:sad:

#21 ·
Would the alignment make a difference were you using the broadhead tip/point as the aiming reference? I'm thinking of trying to use a single-blade cut-on-contact broadhead, using the tip/point as aiming reference, plus my large peep sight (no aligning tube).

What I'm asking is whether the orientation of the BH point -- from narrow to broad -- will make an aiming difference, not a difference in how the arrow flies.

And would the orientation and alignment of nock, feather/vane, and BH tip yield greater consistency than having their alignment random?

#22 ·
Lining up the broadhead with vanes will not make the arrow fly any more accurate. I line mine up so that the broadhead blades clear the rubber arrow keeper I have mounted on my riser, drop away arrrow rest. I also shot the Striker broadhead from Montec this year. They flew like darts, was very impressed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.