Archery Talk Forum banner

Anyone else feel this way?

690 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  oldbhtrnewequip 
#1 ·
Before you see how long this thread is and just click to something else read a little farther.

Somebody else is bound to feel this way, not just me.

I began hunting a certain buck Dec. 2005. I got some (3)trail cam pics of him and estimated him to be about 3 1/2 years old. I hunted him until the season closed in mid Jan. with no sightings. I kept my camera out and got 1 pic in Feb. and 1 in late Apr. when his antlers were about 3 inches long.

I got another pic in late July (which I posted here on AT). I didn't get anymore until about the middle of this Oct. I then began getting more frequent pics of him (20 or so). I even have a picture of him 30 minutes before I shot him, which was the first time I had layed eyes on him. I estimated his age at 4 1/2 though I have not had the jaw bone aged yet.

I even passed up a mid 120's 8 pter in late Sept. that I probably would have taken had I not known the bigger deer was there.

I since have had a funny, weird, sad feeling in my stomach when I look at the last picture of him alive (30 min. before I shot him). I did realize that when I shot him that this was a bitter sweet ending to a year long story. Maybe I am just getting to soft, but the numerous pictures I had gave a weird sort of attachment to him, that I just don't know that I like.

Has anyone else ever felt this way or is it just me?

How much of an effect has game cameras had on your hunting success, deer herd, age structure, and overall enjoyment. I love the heck out of my camera and just can't wait to see whats on it. How much has it changed the way we hunt? I can say without a doubt that it makes me a better hunter or at least makes my time afield more efficient. So does that tip the odds to the hunter to much? I don't know?

what do you think??????

See less See more
#2 ·
best tool....

that i have found in quite a while... Makes me wait in a stand when i would have otherwise left the stand without the knowledge that the trail monitor camera has given me. It has allowed me to score on bigger bucks on average, then what my average was before the camera.
I love it.
I have been deer hunting for 35 years and i am getting a little soft when it comes to killing deer i dont want to kill everything in sight anymore. Not like when i was young.
I did kill a yearling doe the other day because a hunting buddy is giving a game dinner and needed a couple extra deer because the warm weather here has ruined two deer he had hanging a couple of days too long. I t was a shame. But I killed a deer i certainly would not have killed under normal circumstances but it felt good to donate to his dinner.
But back to the trail cameras , cant say enough for their effectiveness as a scouting tool.

Good huntin'
Joe Lorenti

#4 ·
BowChilling said:
Now you have that 120's 8 pointer to go after next year when he'll have another year of growth on him!:wink:
No not really, I took my buddy in there a week later and he smoked him. Best deer my buddy ever took with a bow. He was tickled with it. I was very happy for him. He didn't feel quite right though knowing that I had passed on it. He is just like that, guess I understand. Sort of splitting the credit or something. I was still excited for him and glad I could share it with him.

#6 ·
I think the cameras are pretty cool but I've decided not to use'm.I kinda feel like it takes a little of the challenge away...and the anticipation of seeing a good'un on the stand the "first time" if you know what I mean. Good Hunting Sean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.