Archery Talk Forum banner

recipes for deer attractants...

2K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  mnshortdraw 
#1 ·
I need em!!! I saw one a few weeks ago but didnt copy and paste it like i should of. I beleive it had vanilla,peanut butter, ???, and water i think. All recipes welcomed tryin to save a few bucks in the long run. Post away!!!

#2 ·
I got just the recipe you're looking for.......

1.) I put you in one of my favorite stands

2.) I go hunt somewhere else

3.) You shoot a 170" buck that avoids me all year, yet gives you a 10 yard chip shot because that's just how my luck goes lol

#4 ·
jagerace said:
Sweet, lets do it!!!
josh

Hell, bring your friends too lol. I can almost guarantee everyone of you will shoot a P&Y deer if I put you in one of my stands. I just can't seem to do it lol

As a matter of fact, I'll go as far as saying 3 of you will shoot Booners I didn't even know existed :wink:

#5 ·
vanilla extract all by itself works great...look at the ingrediants and if it has anything alcohol based in it then it will evaporate quickly and work well. If it doesn't then you could mix it with sterno and put it on wicks and it will slowly evaporate sending a yummy smell out into the woods.

#9 ·
what i saw a few weeks ago was a...

recipe to put on a log or something . DOes the imitation vanilla stuff work?>
NO worries of bears im in Kansas. Oh and to the previous post of putting in stand and letting me shoot a P&Y. Kinda funny you mention that. My hunting buddy just got us pemission to some land that leased to some guys from Texas that were passing on 170 class bucks. Acording to him he has at least 6 he knows of, let ya know how we fair on em later.

#11 ·
the cheapo vanilla actually is the stuff that is usually made with the alcohol and the more expensive stuff that your wife uses to cook with does not...they both work well for me. If you head on out to the local Aldis or random international shop you should find some good priced cheapo stuff in bigger containers.

#16 ·
Peter pan honey roast. Creamy not crunchy. The peanuts get caught in there teeth. It is funny to watch deer sitting on their butts picking the peanuts out of their teeth.
Vanilla works to get the deer there. Put out some corn or salt and cut an apple or two and put some vanilla all around. They will come running.
Can't bait in Mo. But we have deer in the back yard. Cant shoot momma's deer. But it is fun to watch um.
Haven't tried beer........yet.

#17 ·
I just took a bungee cord, and hung up a walmart bottle of malassis, and then poked a hole in bottom,

about 30 minutes later i killed my first buck ever...a big 8 pointer. then took some duct tape and covered hole for next hunt.....got a big doe then.

worth the $ 6.00:D

#18 ·
AirForceVet said:
I just took a bungee cord, and hung up a walmart bottle of malassis, and then poked a hole in bottom,

about 30 minutes later i killed my first buck ever...a big 8 pointer. then took some duct tape and covered hole for next hunt.....got a big doe then.

worth the $ 6.00:D
That's the most ******* thing I've heard all day. I'll have to give it a try.:darkbeer:

#22 ·
A guy I use to work with would take a pumpkin and clean it out like a jack-o-lantern and fill it with this mixture that he made. The mixture was corn and oats with a lot of molasses. He called them deer pumpkins.

#23 ·
J8 10-27 said:
That's the most ******* thing I've heard all day. I'll have to give it a try.:darkbeer:
Thanks....

Seriously..worked for me... with a small hole....bigger hole the colder it is....it just came out like a long stream.......with a small breeze I could smell it 50 yards away in my doghouse blind....it seemed to make a great cover scent at the same time as i never even sprayed myself with scent remover....I even took a break outside my blind it didn't seem to overcome the scent of the syrup streaming out in the breeze.

Even if it all drains out i just put some corn out over drippings and it was a great area for them to dig in the dirt to get the sweet droppings. I let my drizzle down the side of a tree. I noticed yesterday something was chewing on bark of tree.

#24 ·
scent

grind up apples in a wood chipper and dry them on a screen. When they are as dry as potato chips, crunch them into small pieces. burlap bag them, and hang in the woods. moisture activated. Also, boil apple cider and sugar until you have a syrup, and use a drip system to dispense. I have used these with great sucess in an old apple orchard I hunt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.