Archery Talk Forum banner

Shot High?

600 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Kstigall 
#1 ·
Hey for all of you early birds out this morning I need some advice. Last night I shot a doe. She was at thirty yards and I shot her for 35yds so my shot went high. It looked like it went about 2 inches below her spine and the left and right was dead on. The arrow had a pass through and was sticking almost straight up and down in the ground, a way for the angle, the arrow also had chunks of meat on it, some fatty tissue, and white and black hairs. She ran off on a dead sprint. I shoot Rocket 100gr sidewinders so I do have a could cutting diamtere. Me and my buddy could not find a bloodtrail last night in the dark, so I am going out at first light this morning(hence why I am on the computer so early). By the way the arrow was stuck in the ground and the white hairs do you think that I could have caught the spine a little and caused my arrow to deflect at a extreme downward angle on the exit? If so why hardy any "blood" on the arrow. Could I have possibly hit the "dead zone" that everyone is always talking about. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

#2 ·
If the arrow had no blood on it and had a greasy film on it, like you shot it through a bucket of crisco, you hit the dreaded "no man's land" and that deer is still as alive as you and I this morning. I'd still go out and look though.

#3 ·
Were you hunting on the ground? Or were you in a tree stand? If in a stand then how high. I'm trying to get an idea of shot angle.

If you examine anatomy diagrams closely you will find that there is no such thing as "no man's land". And that if anything, you may have shot just above the spine. If you were shooting about strait up from the front leg, then the spine is actually somewhere around 4" below the top of the back.

I would say that the thick red meat of the backstraps at this location could have given you chunks of meat also, and the thin layer of tallow on the meat in this region would have given your arrow a greasy coat on the way in and out.

BTG19

#4 ·
Doesn't sound good from the descrip. of the arrow. Go and give an honest search though to be on the safe side -- good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.