Archery Talk Forum banner

First one of the season

487 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Halo1va 
#1 ·
My alarm went off at 4:45am, I laid in bed and wondered if I should even go out cause it was supposed to be so warm. I decided since I was awake I may as well go. Now I went to sit in a little tree line maybe 15yrds wide by 1/8 mile long. 1/2 mile back in a bean field and a 1/2 mile of corn field on the north. I have 16' climing sticks but the stand is at about 14 or so at the platform. At about 6 I put a little buck stop on my shoe hoping the south wind would carry the scent and I also squirted a little on the ground. Got my can out and turned it over about 4 times then sat back and kind of watched the little group of tree to the north. Real small group of trees with some grass around it this is where I have seen deer move before but they all went north of me. As I sat there in the tree just enjoying being there I started watching a male and female cardinal hop around from tree to tree. Then I heard this noise of corn stalks being ruffled so I looked over my shoulder to see this buck running straight towards me. I had just enough time to say out loud "no way", stand up and turn and he was right on top of me comin into the trees. I tried to draw once, pulled with all I had and couldn't get drawn. I had to calm myself and now I had to wait for the right time as he is lookin around for the doe that has left the scent. He took a step to the left (my right) and got his head behind a 8-10" tree and I jerked that string back as fast as I could he took 2 more steps, I gave him the mouth bleat, he stopped and I hit the release. He took off out across the corn field and about 25-30yrds his tail came up and I thought no way, I knew I hit him good. I tryed gruntin at him, I've found a lot of times they will stop when they hear that, nothing he went about another 30 and then fell. I was dancin in the stand. First archery deer of the year and the first with my new XT. When I got down I put the heel of my boot against the tree I was in and stepped off how far out he was when I shot. 5 steps, that's it. I shot him at 6:30 am on the nose. He was 154 lbs dressed and without his head.
I had to call Dad to come help me get him out of the field. I apoligize for the pic. I like to get field shots before the are dressed. I didn't have the camera with me and since we had him in dads truck I just used it to take him to the locker. The truck has a lot of stuff in it cause he was cleaning the shed to put equipment away for winter. The deer is bloody and I had his leg propped up to help cool the meat and forgot to let it down for the pic. again not a great pic and I apologize for that.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.