Archery Talk Forum banner

Slick Trick cons

4K views 65 replies 42 participants last post by  OLDHOOTOWL 
#1 ·
I keep seeing a lot of talk on this forum on how well Slick Tricks perform, such as fly like field points, create big holes in animals for fast kills, razor sharp. I currently use Spit Fires which I have had absolute excellent results in a countless amount of deer, however with all this hype I'm thinking of giving the ST a try. Does anyone have any negative comments about this broadhead, again negative responses only please....thanks

#4 ·
Im not saying they are not a decent head, however what your seeing is the best marketing ever. They did not fly as well as my Magnus Stingers, did not penetrate a large bucks shoulder enough to kill the animal, and are quite noisy in flight. Like I said they probably are no worse than most top quality heads out there but nor do I think they are any better. The current trend towards steep blade angles was used with the Thunderhead 85 which most will say did not have the same consistancy on game as the 100 gr model with a less steep blade angle. The founder of Muzzy has also established a relationship between proper blade angle and effective cutting, however the current trend with many companies is towards the steep angled short head to optimize ease of tuning.
Not saying your gonna be dissapointed, but if your happy with your current choice I surely wouldnt change.
BD

#5 ·
My Reason for not using them

A couple people that i have talked to said that the blades broke too easily so they threw them away... I know it was second hand talk but they had no reason to lie so i won't be going to them since my Montecs are doing the job ..

#8 ·
Simplicity Works

Quote:
"I just wanted to drop you a message to tell you how awesome your broadheads are. I have taken numerous deer using the Slick Trick with the same results. Perfect arrow flight, complete pass through and a blood trail a blind man can follow. The Slick Trick makes tuning your setup for broadheads a thing of the past. I only have one complaint - they're hard to find in stores and the shops that do sell them sell out in a hurry. Thanks for a great product."

"We talked last year and I ordered some of your broadheads. I told you I would hunt with them all year and see what I think about them. Well, after two deer, three hogs, one bobcat, and several squirrels and rabbits, I am extremely impressed. They truly do fly like field points. Penetration is unbelievable too. I have found in my own experience, that animals can't take it when they are hit with a Slick Trick. I would like to keep these heads in my shop from now on. I have no desire to hunt with anything else, and when someone asks me what I would recommend in a tough, reliable head, I show them a Slick Trick. Happy hunting, and God bless."

"What impressed me the most about your product was the ability of the broadhead to fly like fieldpoints. In the past, I could never get a fixed blade to fly like a field point, so like many other archers, I started shooting mechanical broadheads to save time and the trouble of having to re-sight my equipment. However, due to poor penetration and the risks of angled shots have left me dissatisfied. Thankfully, your product has solved my problems."

"Taken 5 deer and all pass throughs, all have an exit hole that looks like a slug from a 10 gauge made the hole. Nice job them things do on a deer. Busting shoulders, legs whatever is in the way. They are nasty lil things!"

"Just a line to say thanks for a great broadhead. I've shot about all the heads that are out there, the Slick Trick is the best I've ever shot. I shot them out of an Excalibur crossbow at 325 fps, and they shot a 3" group at 50 yards offhand. We also had the same results out of a compound bow. Can't believe how they shoot. Thanks for a great product."

"13 deer this season and 13 pass throughs. They bust bone like a slug!"

#9 ·
Never used Slick Tricks so I can coment on their quality etc. but I can say this, in all the pictures of dead deer that I see on here the deer killed with Slick Tricks look more dead that the deer killed with other broadheads. I'm cryin' if I'm lyin' and I ain't shed a tear.:D

#10 ·
The difference between slick tricks and other heads, is that slick tricks really do shoot with field tips.

I had a bow with some timing issues just before the season this year. My buddy had a ST with him on my practice range, and he told me to shoot it even with my bow tuning/timing problems. It went right with the practice tips, and I knew the bow wasn't shooting true at that time.

They will be on my arrows next season.

Oh, I did get the timing straghtend out in time for season, bt had other b-heads already lined up for this season. If they wouldn't have been back ordered this year, I would have used them.

#11 ·
not again. seems to be a very popular thing, bashing these heads. you know what? not every head works for every set up or person. I shoot thunderheads, spitfires, steel force, american broadhead, and slick tricks. I like the slick tricks, I like them all, and guess what? if you started a thread on cons on thunderheads, you'd get cons. that is why there are so many heads out there today. so many are good, few are really good. it depennds on what you the shooter like. NO head is perfect, never will be, but c'mon, lay off the tricks already. it is getting old.

#12 ·
tricks are awesome

Been shooting with them 2 years-even stuck them in trees-yea I missed but got them out of trees and resharpened and are as good as new. They don't break easy as they are stainless. Great head as are spitfires but I got away from mechanicals as I know these will always open!

#14 ·
I shoot the 85gr. ST and had good luck with them. I also shoot Rocket 75gr. Wolverines and both hit the same spot at 40 yards. I shot through my Buck shoulder and the deer never knew what hit it and drop dead within 50 yards I'll say. I think they are very tough. I still like Mechanical heads so I keep the Rockets in my quiver too, however Slick Trick are usually the first at Bat.

#16 ·
Some negativisms of Slick Trick broadheads.

They cost as much or even a little more than all the other top of the line broadheads. If you hit a deer in the front leg they will not kill the deer, contrary to some opinions. If you sour hit a big buck they will not turn that into a good hit. When Slick Tricks are shot through both lungs of a big buck they very rarely bring the buck down under 40 yards. The ferrule of Slick Tricks are smaller in diameter than most other heads and might not fit your quiver as tight as some of the larger ferrule heads might. The replaceable blades are .035 thick not the thickest on the market but close. They have four cutting edges compared to most other replaceable blade broadheads, three (this is believed to be negative, not sure why). The Slick Trick ferrules are constructed of steel unlike most other broadheads aluminum ferules. This would make them susceptible to magnetic fields. Slick Trick broadheads are shorter than most other broadheads, creating a brusk complex, possibly? Most other broadheads when trashed out will bring a better price at the scrap yard due to aluminum composition. I tell you what, the anteceding list, of disqualifying qualities has placed, much achromatic color, on Slick Trick broadheads so you might as well start using them, as I am going to.

#17 ·
If there is a negative

It would be that the ferrule will break right behind the blades. I have shot 6 animals with them and had good results. I have had 2 break that were shot into the off side leg bone of an elk and large hog. Both animals were easily recovered.
I have some older models and the blades needed a couple of strokes on the Gatco to be razor sharp.

Overall, they are one of the best heads out there. I carry both them and Spitfires since they shoot identical to 60yds.

#19 ·
OH No............

Stanley said:
Most other broadheads aluminum ferules. This would make them susceptible to magnetic fields.

That is reason enough for me to not include them in my quiver. That Polar Bear hunt in the North Pole i'm booking will cause havoc with my broadhead flight (Magnetic North). Thanks Stanley, this could have ended poorly and it is hard to find a pro-shop in the artic to buy more broadheads.

Keep'em Sharp......................

#20 ·
Break too easy?

Can someone elaborate on how they are breaking so easy. I find it hard to believe. I've shot 3 deer, 2 last year, 1 this year with them, complete pass throughs on all three. 2 of the three stuck in the ground, 1 in a tree. I also don't buy the statement about it being the best marketing ever. They don't have full page color ads in magazines that I know of. The only marketing I've seen is word of mouth. IMO, the best broadhead I've ever used. The only con I can think of is sometimes they are hard to come by.

#21 ·
Jacked- lets revisit your hijack post on this head in an early November thread on ST's.
"why is this 3 pager from september back?

I bought a 3pk a couple weeks ago after reading all the hype here. My experience is that I wasnt very impressed with the sharpness...only because i was expecting scary sharp from what i read on some threads. But i was satisfied with sharpness and they are certainly not dull. If they get dull, i will sharpen them. Nice thick blades to work with. My only problem is the blades have a little flat lip i feel should fit under the ferrule. As far as accuracy goes, they fly like field tips. People say that alot and it sounds like a gimmick but for me they actually just fly like field tips. ...imo of all the broadheads out there, STs have the best chance of putting mechs out of business."

Why so sour now? Agenda? Explain

#22 ·
I had that one break, yep,,when I tried to pull it back out of that oak tree it broke off :mg:

I'm going to dig them blades out and re-use them :)

#25 ·
Honestly, you must have not shot too many animals with your beloved muzzys, cuz if you had, you would notice blades rolling, flattening and breaking....Sure, it has a great trocar head, but the blades are a joke and the ferrules will wobble after being shot into foam a dozen times.
Someone mentioned stingers? What a joke.
Montecs? Fly great, soft as butter.
I also love the post, "shot a deer in the shoulder with a trick and it did not penetrate more than 6 inches...." then he goes onto say he shoots 60 lbs.
I am sure all of the above heads do a good job, but dont even think that they are better than tricks.
The "people are paid to post" is funny too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.