Archery Talk Forum banner

Bad breath in the woods

3K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  Buckhunter316 
#1 ·
I have been picked up a few times this season by a nice 8 pointer. I am obsessive about scent control and I take special care to not break a sweat as I get to my stand. But with all that, I still got picked up.

The only theory I have at this point is "bad breath". What do you think about the theory? What do you guys do about this?

LP

#2 ·
If you used one of these you might be good...

Sorry I had to.. thought it was funny..

Anyways, I could see your point.. someone made a comment on another post about some kind of cover sent gum... may do a search..

#5 ·
I learned last year that deer can pick up foul breath. I was busted by a doe from about 50 yards. I ate a hotdog with onions for lunch and went back out. I always spray down with No Scent before going into the woods, so it had to be the onions. I now carry a toothbrush and baking soda in my backpack and always use it before I enter the woods. I also carry a couple of apples to help with breath control and munchies.

#6 ·
you could try some breath o'flauge gum! invigorating taste of dirt! just kidding. hate that stuff.i have a headcover and the neck part is scentlok. i pull that over my mouth and breathe through my mouth all day. scentlok does well on breath though.

#9 ·
I always pack an apple when bowhunting. I constantly chew on small pieces of it while on stand. The acidity of apples help eliminate the bacteria that cause bad breath. Have been doing this for years and it works great, in Westchester county too I might add. :darkbeer:

#12 ·
I chew apple gum. I have had them come in wondering what the smell is. Doesnt hurt I hunt a couple hundred yards downwind of a gas station though.

#14 ·
SilentElk said:
I chew apple gum. I have had them come in wondering what the smell is. Doesnt hurt I hunt a couple hundred yards downwind of a gas station though.
I've heard that mentioned before... but I don't chew gum so..... :rolleyes: :lol:

and worst of all, I smoke.. do my best to keep it away from my hunting stuff, but.. it's hard to eliminate from your breath.. the Dead Downwind Breath spray has worked very well for me, combined with a Scentlok ultimate headcover, that incorporates a facemask, have pretty well licked the issue... :thumb:

#15 ·
flamethrower said:
I chew regular mint gum in the stand and never had a problem.Bad breath seems alittle much:darkbeer:
I disagree.. you'd be amazed at how much odor the mouth contains and gives off.. I've smelled other hunters when still hunting in tandem with them for bushytails... it was their breath.. and I can't smell nearly as well as a deer...

#16 ·
There is a gum out to help with the bad breath thing.....But there is no chance that your breath is what is spooking the deer...trust me....i know guys that smoke in the stand and i chew in the stand your breath is the last thing they would smell.....

#17 ·
I hardly got winded at all this year when I was using the Gumoflague stuff. I know its crazy and I didn't beleive in the stuff, but it sure seemed that is really makes a difference. I try to hunt the wind best I can but this year on my trip out west the wind was changing directions all the time. There were times when we left and went to a new set other times we tried to stick it out where we were. We are as scent controling as you can be. We have muliple layers of carbon, wash down in products, store everything is bags, we do it all including trying some of that gumoflauge stuff a few times this year. We hunted the same stand with same wind 2 days in row, everything was the same except the second day we chewed gum. The first day we got winded by a doe and 1.5 old buck. The second day we had a 3.5 and 4.5 year old buck as well as some does walk directly down wind and never smell us. The 3.5 year old was only 5 yards from our tree you can hear him smelling the hock glands we had hanging there on video; he was smelling really hard and never caught any of our scent. I was amazed I figured we would get busted for sure, the only difference between the days was the gum.???

#20 ·
Bad breath probably give away more of us than we realize.

A 50/50 mixture of 2% Peroxide and water shuold kill all bacteria. I ws told to use it by my doctors everytime I had facial reconstruction.

Brushing with baking soda will get your teeth clean, and help eliminate any mouth odors.

Eating chlorophy tablets or charcoal will reduce stomach odors.

BUT ... What about nasal odors? Infections etc.

Use a No Trace or Eliminator face mask.

T.R. Michels

#21 ·
Several apple trees in my yard and I uaually chew these like tobacco -- bite down on them only every 10 min. or so works for me. Also do the same with muscadines (scuppernongs) they all are acidic fruits that help destroy and cover your stinky breath.. Also a little oral hygiene will go a long way!!!:zip:

#23 · (Edited)
Don't take this post the wrong way as I do everything humanly possible to reduce my scent be it ground trail, or air borne scent including my breath. I take chlorophyll tabs and Bio scent, I use X scent, No Trace, Scent blocker and pay close attention to keeping my breathe fresh including using chlorophyll gum. I will continue to try anything that might give me an advantage. Next year I plan on trying the Elimitrax. After saying all this sometimes I am amazed I seem to be undetectable to deer, but unfortunately at other times I get busted right away and I know I wasn't seen. I also will not go into a stand if the wind is questionable. The funny thing about air currents especially light ones, they may not actually be taking our scent where we think it is going.

Sometimes I think it boils down to the Old saying deer upwind won't smell you.

Deer downwind will smell you:)

#25 ·
Dead Down Wind Breath Spray works pretty good for me. I have had some decent does near me early in the season and they didn't smell me. I drive about 35 min to the property where I hunt and I snack on peanut butter crackers and water as I am driving. By the time I get there and change, I've got a nice stale taste in my mouth. A few sprays and I am ready to go. I keep it in my fanny pack to freshen my breath from time to time.

My 2 cents...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.