Archery Talk Forum banner

6th tag filled...

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  njshadowwalker 
#1 ·
Its earn a buck time still here in Jersey..I needed to get a doe to make my regular license valid with a buck tag. I used my farmer tag on my buck last week,so anyway...
I have a little place that I feed deer, so I snuck in at 4:00 this afternoon and got my stand set. After battling with wanting to sweat as its 65 degrees here today,I finally got up in the tree and dressed and sprayed and settled.
About 4:30 I look down the feild to see a ton of deer just coming my way FAST!!!!! I lost count at 14 and they were still coming. First was a nice basket 7pt(was an 8),cruising with his buddy the 6. prior to harvesting the big buck last week I would have taken the 7 point in a second,but today I wasnt legal to shoot a buck,of course! Well they stopped and piled up around 40-50 yards out and more were coming. 3 finally got brave and headed for the trail under me to get to the feeders. Big mistake! I grabbed my bow and went to hook up my release and realized it was in my pocket...........

I got the thing out of my pocket somhow and managed to get it on and hooked and came to full draw to have the lead doe stop in my path. I did not want her,I wanted the smaller one behind her. What seemed like an hour was probly only 2 minuites or less , she finally stepped onto the trail and the others followed. 10 yards ,qtrd away, and tottally calm,she took one through the middle and knocked out the lungs. She spun around and jumped so freaken high,then only ran a few feet and just stopped and looked around. The outher deer were on alert but never ran. I sat there and watched her wobble and stagger sideways after a minuite.(again it seemed like an hour). Then she flipped her tail a few times and snorted and collapsed. Sat there a good hour after watchin the deer sniff her and walk by to get to the trail to the feeders. Deer is tagged and dropped at the butchers already.
Gotta love those Thunderheads...
Dave

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
She would have been bigger and tougher,just like the rest of them out in the feild tonite..I donate these deer to needy familys,its the only time I hunt around the feeders. These people really need the meat and the smaller ones are the best eatin,its a fact!
Dave

#6 ·
Sorry pictures can be deceiving sometimes, maybe that is belly hair. and it looks like little nubs on its head.

Since my family dont like deer meat except me that is what I do with every deer I kill except the back straps. Just feels more rewarding giving it to someone who needs it to stay alive and will have food on their plate for a month or so.

Great jesture on your part.

#7 ·
doe

Great job! Wish I could see that many deer, don't think I’ve seen six all season, and now the gun season is over I haven't seen any. I had two Timber Wolves come within about 50 yards of my stand the other day and they are impressive but they may get hungry this winter. Think we may have over harvested this year with all the good weather the gun hunters were out in droves. I thought the numbers were down from years past at the start of this season.

Glad to see you have thinned out what must be over population in your area and giving the meat to those who need it is commendable and great PR. Thank for sharing.

#12 ·
The couple that needed the meat went and picked it up this afternoon as my butcher rushed the process for me. Tonite 2 small children are eating fresh doe and not goin to bed hungry. My butcher charges 130.00 for a specialty cut (or rush) but its a small price to pay for the thanks I received. Takin a doe for somone needy feels way better then I did after shooting my buck last week(almost):embara:
Got the mount almost clean,heres a pic of it so far. Got alot more cleaning to do after its done soaking. Probly finish and mount it this weekend.
Dave

Attachments

#16 ·
SneakyTree said:
Man, that's a good feeling. Makes all the things we bicker about on here seem pretty trivial.

Nj even has or i should say HAD the HHH program. Hunters Helping the Hungry...

I donated my 3 doe this year to them. However 3 weeks into the season and the state pulled funding. Yeah im sure they ran outta money in 3 weeks that were in the upper 80's. Not manyh guys hunted. State just completely sucks with everythign and anything related to the outdoors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.