Archery Talk Forum banner

Double Bull Questions . . .

1K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  deertraks 
#1 ·
I broke down and purchased a double bull - now for the questions.

1. Do you have to shoot from your knees or can you shoot from a stool?

2. In followup, what stool/chair do you recommend for the double bull?

Obviously the double bull stool is the right height, but I don't like the idea of having to shoot from my knees (extra movement) and also the fact that it doesn't swivel.

3. Finally, from reading on here it seems you only want to open two of the shooting windows to avoid being silhouetted. I assume if they are closed then no problems with deer seeing in. Now, on the open two windows I assume you want the shoot through mesh down and this prevents the "black hole" problem. Am I correct?

#2 ·
You can shoot from your knees or from a stool, whichever is the most comfortable for you. I personally use the DB stool. I haven't found the need for a swivel seat. The reasons I prefer the DB stool is that it is quiet, packs into the blind bag and the feet are large enough to keep it from burying in the ground.

I like to set my blind up with two windows open and with the mesh down. The deer don't like the black hole. Practice shooting your broadheads through the mesh just to make sure they fly like you want and good hunting.

#3 ·
I'm no DB expert by any means but here is what I have learned so far.

the DB stool is OK. It has a back but dosnt swivel. Ameristep makes a similar stool that swivels but has no back. I wish they made one that swivels with a back.

You can shoot from the stool or your knees. I am a right hand shooter and I face my stool almoast 90 deg to the right of the front of the blind. This gets uncomfortable twisting to the left to look. I think this is where a swivel stool would help tons.

Get the bow stake. It cleans up the floor and your lap from your bow laying there and it makes it easy to grab.

The more window you have open the more light comes in. If you have the matrix keep it closed as much as you can. Where black inside the blind from the waist up including your face and hands.

If you do these thing you will be amazed at the movement you can get away with.

#4 · (Edited)
Great advice thus far...

Also, you'll want to set up to where your (or, at least, I've experienced success with this) primary hunting lanes are the corners, almost like a diamond shape. Then what I'll do is sit in the back corner (the one that's closed), and I'll have the left and right corners opened up just enough to shoot out of, and my primary lane in front of me. This one will be open the furthest.

Although it doesn't swivel, Gander Mountain makes a folding chair (flat chair, not a quad) that's incredibly lightweight, has a back, weighs just under 3 lbs., and is easy to rotate around to a shooting position with one hand if you need to adjust your shooting position. The DB chair is very compact and portable, however, if you're medium to large to VERY large build, it may not be really comfortable, because the tops of the seat legs tend to ride up in sensitive areas! Just my experience.

I hope some of this helps. Congrats on a great blind purchase.

#5 ·
The previous post have made some good points, I like the Double Bull stool as well for ease of packing and the big feet but if I am going to be in 1 spot for a planned long period I take the bigger camo/black chair with arms and tuck it back into the corner of the blind.

You can shoot in whatever position is comfortable for you personally but I will recommend you taking lots of practice shots out of your blind to become familiar with it and get a feel for what floor space you have.

Practice setting up and taking down the blind and while your in it practice judging yardages as you will find it to be quite different once inside the blind.

Enjoy your blind........Gslam

#6 ·
GSLAM95 said:
The previous post have made some good points, I like the Double Bull stool as well for ease of packing and the big feet but if I am going to be in 1 spot for a planned long period I take the bigger camo/black chair with arms and tuck it back into the corner of the blind.
Same here. My lower back gets to hurting after a couple of hours in the DB stool.

#8 ·
rarely is the problem to high.....shooting low is more of the problem

I like my double bull stool....I shot one deer off my knee out my T2...I was closer to the bottom of the window than I cared for...I now stay on the stool :wink:

#11 · (Edited)
Dark camo works best. Black shirt for sure.

Gander Mountain has a swivel stool that works great. I use mine for turkey hunting but often take a regular fold out chair with back to be real comfortable.

Most stools work. I have the B5 blind which is tall.

Attachments

#13 ·
The problem with...

lawdawg said:
Do I need to wear black or will dark camo (MOBU) do the trick?
...the camo patterns isn't how dark the 'darks' are, but how light the 'lights' are. Most camo patterns have spots that are either off-white, or very light green, tan, etc. When you move, deer will often see these patterns moving about, not the dark. So, if you have a camo pattern that is COMPLETELY dark, or at least with no bright colors, then it would more than likely work ok. However, it's been at least my experience that black is the way to go. One thing I like to do is wear several layers, all black, like Polartec base layers, and maybe a Polartec outer shell or even a black hooded sweatshirt like you'd get at Academy or another sporting goods shop. When it was warm, I could shed layers as much as needed and still be wearing black. I take extra layers that are black now for the inverse reason.

Hope this helps...

#16 ·
When shooting out of the window, always remember that your arrow sets lower than your sight pins. I shot a doe this year that should have been a slam dunk (13 yards), but I had my Matrix window adjusted too high at the bottom and the arrow cut the fabric. I hit the doe in the liver instead of the lungs and made for a more difficult tracking job than it should have been. Like others have suggested, practice shooting out of the window to make all of these adjustments prior to your hunt. Another suggestion would be to get a piece of scrap window netting to practice through and not shoot up your actual netting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.