Archery Talk Forum banner

summit open shot

1K views 17 replies 18 participants last post by  Deerdevil 
#1 ·
any one have one ? like it?

#2 ·
You can't go wrong with a Summit! I prefer something with a bigger seat for long sits. The 14 lbs. of the open shot make it great for long hikes to your spot. Just pick one that suits most or all of your needs if possible.

#3 ·
I've been using a ClearShot (discontinued:sad: ) the last few years. It climbs really well.
The openshot is similar without the built in seat.
I'm thinking of finding another ClearShot before they are all gone.

#4 ·
J3100 said:
any one have one ? like it?
Yep
Nope

It sort of makes me nervous up there, even when I'm well tied on.
I think I need a seat that has the enclosing bar like the viper.
What's sort of strange is that I spend most of my time in hang on stands that also have no bar and I don't get vertigo in those at all... :confused:

#6 ·
Kstigall said:
I've been using a ClearShot (discontinued:sad: ) the last few years. It climbs really well.
The openshot is similar without the built in seat.
I'm thinking of finding another ClearShot before they are all gone.
The Clearshot is a good stand. I like this style of stand also(seat attached to platform), that's why I now use the Loggys. They have perfected this design. Larger platform than the Summit, with a truly all day seat, and same weight, if not lighter. Plus it doubles as a lock on. The Clearshot was Summit's attempt to revive this style of stand , which they sold many of in the late 80's, early 90's.

#7 ·
I HAD an open shot. I climbed 10ft up a tree and knew this wasn't the stand for me. There is no room on the platform and when climbing you are way back from the tree. I didn't feel safe at all in it. I'm still using my old loggy. I too prefer a seat on the platform that folds up as well.

#9 ·
I also have an older version of the open shot....at least, mine looks the most like the open shot on the summit web page. It has the seat attached to the climber.

This stand was given to me by a friend who can't use portables anymore. I really like the stand a lot and have been using it more than my heavier, more bulky lone wolf, but I have one question. Can you guys post instructions of how you pack this thing? Mine didn't come with back pack straps so I used some $10 bass pro straps this season. The problem is I found the quietest way to pack it was to insert the climber part under the platform with the seat pad facing your back. When you do this, however, the straps on the platform have to be taken off and weaved around the climber....it's not a big deal, but can be a pain in the cold dark when finger tips start to loose feeling.

#10 ·
I wanted to chime in also on the Clear Shot. I own the last year model in which they added 4 more inches to the platform and, the following year it was nolonger available. I as some of you prefer the seat to the platform idea as long as it is at a 22" heighth. The Clear Shot also had a triangular shaped seat that was great as it didn't cut the back of your legs. I also like to unstrap the seat cushion and, turn the climbing aid around--place the seat cushion with the pointed part in toward the tree and, now you have another seat option. I also still have an older Loggy Bayou with the metal band--it has the Loggy spurs on the stand and, metal band. These are also rock solid. I have done a little work to the climbing aid to quiet it up. I also use a climbing aid known as the "Acorn" with the loggy somtimes. I guess I am in a minority when it comes to climbing stands. I just can't stand bars, arm rests and, such in my way. I have tried everything from lowering the seat sections and, keeping the cushion seat straps tightened to the point the cushion is way up. After only a few times of having my lower bow limb contact the arm rest on my other Summit--I had enough. I had gotten myself to the point that every time a deer was working his way into me I found myself concentrating on my bow and, upper section of the climber(seat/climbing aid) and, whether or, not I was going to make contact. No matter how hard I tried I could not break my mental barrier on this issue. Several of my very close hunting buddies laugh at me and, this issue as they say that this isn't even a concern for them and, they don't have any issues like this. The Summit Clear Shot in my mind along with the Loggy Bayou and, also the Lone Wolf Alpha hand climber are my choices in that exact order. The 2 piece climbers with rails, arm rests etc. are totally useless for me. I know thats a bold statement but, I found that I am NOT alone in my quandry with this issue. I have ran into others who feel just like me. Summit Clear Shot--with bigger platform--Hands down for me the best climber out there for a guy like me--maybe not another mans first choice but, for me it is.

#12 ·
It is my 3rd season with it; it is great! Actually, I like it better than my fixed stands. Light and easy to climb with ... can't go wrong w/ a Summit...

BTW, I also liked the video that came with the stand. A great sequence of shots on different types of big game... Very inspiring...

LP

#16 ·
I have a summit viper and i dont really care for it while bowhunnting. Id prefere a stand with a very open front like the openshot. I plan on getting a open shot top part to kinda trade mix the stand between gun and bow season. hopefully itll work out for me. And also by doing that ill be using the viper platform so i have a slightly larger platform area vs just buying a openshot with a shorter platform. hopefully ill like this and wont be wasting money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.