Archery Talk Forum banner

Bowhunting DRAMA

1K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  mafriend03 
#1 ·
I'm fed up with the way hunters act these days!

Everyone lies about what they see, too many people get in arguements in the woods, and it seems like everyone trespasses. Frankly sometimes i'm scared to enter my woods in fear I'll find a buck dead that someone didn't bother to track ( this happened to me twice this season, doe came running by me with 2 holes in the rear leg, luckly I got a shot at her and put her down. Second time a 4 pt. can limping by me at 150 yards, and I couldn't get a shot off:mad: both deer were never tracked because i heard the shots). I'm just sick of it all...

#2 ·
But if you stop hunting do you think it will change any? It is very frustrating indeed... only thing you can do is make sure you do the right thing and try to show others how to do the correct thing.. This has been going on for longer than you and I both have been hunting... look at what the settlers did way back with the buffalos.

Just think, if you had not been there when that doe came by how much longer she would have suffered... so not all was bad about the incident.

One other thing I learned...

Never argue with another person that has a weapon, even if you have one... unless you are able to make that type of decision to harm or kill someone!

#3 ·
Seasons over

With rifle season over here (Missouri) you will see a big increase in that not. every year i find deer on public land that were shot and not found. More and more i loose respect for gun hunter because of this. ANYONE can sight in a gun and go to the woods. Bow hunter spend 10x more time getting ready. One conservation area here was shut down to gun hunting for several reasons.Agents shot at house's shot at but nothing can be confirmed.A good friend of mine has hunted that ground every year for 20 years and now he's out in the cold. Thats my two cents worth. I am not bashing gun hunter but more and more places are becoming bow hunt only.

#5 ·
Yea, I happened out of my stand one day as a youth during gun season.. still hunted to a deeper stand, as the deer were traveling too far from mine... about 75 yds from the first stand, I happened across an 8pt.. laying in the logging road... Heartshot... Later, after a bit of detective work, came to find that some others that had permission, were hunting the day before... they said they shot no deer and only shot at one doe and missed.... :rolleyes: It was taken from my stand.. you just had to get down and walk about 20 yds and you could see it laying there... :mad:.. well, that was the first year I got my buck without firing a shot... :ROFLMAO:

I'm just glad I hunt private land... we have no problems like this anymore... :amen:

#6 ·
It is unfortunate but there is all kinds out there. Yesterday in Ohio during the gun opener an uncle put a 12 gauge slug into the chest of his nephew before shooting hours...20 year old kid didn't stand a chance. It makes you wonder how this could happen...fluorescent orange...knew the kid was there...hit him right in the chest:confused: Tragic and sad....so the answer is to become part of the solution by participating in hunter education and safety courses rather than doing nothing...if you do nothing you are contributing to the problem. These types of things will ALWAYS happen, but our job as sportsmen is to decrease the incidence.

#7 ·
mafriend03 said:
Bow hunting only would make all my problems go away

I had to kill a really nice buck two years ago in Iowa, with my shotgun. Found it in a drainage ditch trying to climb out. It wasn't having a very good go of it. It had an arrow stuck in it's hind end, from straight on, not broadside. He had been wounded pretty bad for at least a week. Bowhunting didn't make my problems go away that day, I felt pretty down after seeing that. The bowhunting elitist attitude can be a little much at times.

#10 ·
WOW, now here's a great thread and one that seems extremely productive! :rolleyes: :crutch: :frusty:

It reads more like an Anti-hunting rant! :brick: :rant:

#12 ·
The big picture

I must add my two cents that land leasing and nonresident hunting here in Ohio has increased issues due to more people less land to hunt. This year I've had issues that I've never dealt with like trail camera theft and a tree stand removed because a hunter on an adjoining property didn't like that I could see onto the property that he hunts, AND HE'S NOT A PROPERTY OWNER! Hunters are trying to work with what is available with time constraints and high competition that very often means taking poor shots or Hoping the deer dies on property their hunting upon.

I don't see the issues getting any better when strangers hunt land their not familiar with and don't have any personal ties to when they leave.

#15 ·
mafriend03 said:
Bow hunting only would make all my problems go away
Well, if you succeed in getting gun hunting to go away, pretty much count on bowhunting lasting only a year or two more. Precident is all the anti's need. Be careful what you wish for.

Or, you could throw yourself into a little volunteer work in the area of hunter education and work to improve the future of all hunting by improving the knowledge and ethics of the coming generations. Maybe get involved in a youth mentor program. Making gun hunting go away is counter-productive. The choice is really ours.

#16 ·
I talked to dad tonight, he got to hunt while I had my last day at work. Retiring from the Air Force, anyway second IL gun season starts tom. He talked to the owner of one of our rent farms who has found 4 deer in his fields since hunting season has started, both shot with gun and bow. Dad found one while harvesting beans on one of our farms that borders the neighbor. Evidently someone in the neighborhood cannot shot good and does not care to track what he does hit. We think it is probably someone trespassing, or close to it and they do not want to get caught. Dad said the one he found had a good hit, just was not tracked.

As for people not wanting to talk a lot of it is probably one of two reasons. 1. The competition for land is so fierce that everyone is afraid of loosing what they have, 2. They are probably hunting lines or maybe even trespassing and do not want to get caught. Just my thoughts on it. I will tell you because 1. I am secure in knowing the properties I hunt are safe or we own, and 2. if we catch anyone trespassing we prosecute to the fullest extent.

#17 ·
WOW, now here's a great thread and one that seems extremely productive!

It reads more like an Anti-hunting rant!

WOW, what a mature comment. You seem to be pretty respectable one here, but I just lost all of my little respect for you with stupid comments like that.

To the rest of you, I'm not putting down hunting in any way. All i'm saying is that in my neck of the woods too many gun hunters are lazy and they don't follow up on their tracking job, at least during bow season they all seem to care a little bit about the sport of hunting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.