Archery Talk Forum banner

Newbie question....

673 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Scablands 
#1 ·
I've only been into bowhunting for a few years here in south Texas.

With our weather during archery season being anywhere from 65 to 90 degrees, I've never had any problems drawing my bow with a mechanical release. I usually only have 1 layer of clothes on. However, I went to Michigan last month with temps in the 20's. With 3 layers of clothes and 1 being a heavy coat, I couldn't draw my bow using the release. If I used fingers I was OK.

What do you do? Should I have my draw lenght shortened when wearing extra clothes or just go with finger release? I'd prefer to stay with the mechanical.

ldcattle

#2 ·
You're lucky it was only 20 and not 5 above. Just need to practice more or lower your draw weight. I went to shooting 55# because I sit for 10 hours when it's in the 20's or lower. One nice thing is when it's 20 or colder the bugs aren't out.

#3 ·
Put all of your clothes on and practice with your release, if thats what you want to use it will work, you may have to work out some bugs. If it's a problem actually getting your bow pulled back, lower your draw weight to a poundage you can handle with all of your clothes on. Be sure to practice with everything on to, the string hits any of that bulky clothing and you'll have an eratic arrow. When the weather gets cold my safety harness does a good job of keeping the bulky stuff on my chest out of the way, I shoot with a bent arm so the arm isn't a problem for me but you will want to make sure your arm clears also. Put an arm gaurd over it if needed.
When it gets really cold it can be hard to draw when you have been sitting and your muscles are cold, Move your draw weight to a workable weight under all conditions. Hey good luck and shoot straight!!

#4 ·
I have another bow set up for cold(er) conditions. The draw length is 1/2" shorter and the poundage is down to 60 using an Infinity cam. And as was said, practice with what you're going to use. Also dont forget an arm guard to keep the sleeve out of the way of the bow string. Think about your facemask as well. Will it hinder your anchor point? Only 1 way to tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.