PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Backstraps:

Jimmieal1b
December 13th, 2006, 12:29 PM
We can call agree that there are few finer pleasures than eating backstraps off of our own deer. I know lots of guys are big fans of marinading the daylights out of deer meat, but IMHO-- properly aged and butchered venison does not need an ounce of marinade! Salt, pepper and a few fresh herbs are all you need. If all you've ever done is marinade your 'straps then try the following recipe:

1 9 inch long chunk of 'strap
course salt
fresh ground black pepper
2 springs of fresh rosemary
2-3 leaves of fresh sage
1 clove garlic (crushed)
cooking oil
1 oz burbon (or congac if you're fancy)
1 cup of beef or veal stock (don't use canned broth!)

Remove the silver skin from the 'strap and lightly oil it. sprinke it with salt and pepper and rub to coat. Put the meat into a lightly oiled and heated cast iron skillet. Sear the meat on all sides until it is nice and brown (about 5 minutes per side. put the herbs and garlic into the pan with the meat and pop it into a 350 degree oven. Roast the meat unitl it is to the desired doneness. Since I like mine rare, I take it out of the oven when a thermometer says 125 degrees. Take the meat and the herbs/garlic out of the pan. Put the meat on a serving platter and cover with foil. Carryover heat will continue to cook it. Put the skillet back on the stove and apply medium-high heat. pour in the bourbon and scrape all of the tasty cooked bits off of the bottom of the pan. Add the stock and simmer the sauce until it reduces by half. Strain it and serve with slices of 'strap. Your meat will taste like meat and you will have one of the finest sauces you've ever had.

ILLNSHUNTER
December 13th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Sounds Wonderful Cant Wait To Try It

Jimmieal1b
December 13th, 2006, 08:47 PM
We can call agree that there are few finer pleasures than eating backstraps off of our own deer. I know lots of guys are big fans of marinading the daylights out of deer meat, but IMHO-- properly aged and butchered venison does not need an ounce of marinade! Salt, pepper and a few fresh herbs are all you need. If all you've ever done is marinade your 'straps then try the following recipe:

1 9 inch long chunk of 'strap
course salt
fresh ground black pepper
2 springs of fresh rosemary
2-3 leaves of fresh sage
1 clove garlic (crushed)
cooking oil
1 oz burbon (or congac if you're fancy)
1 cup of beef or veal stock (don't use canned broth!)

Remove the silver skin from the 'strap and lightly oil it. sprinke it with salt and pepper and rub to coat. Put the meat into a lightly oiled and heated cast iron skillet. Sear the meat on all sides until it is nice and brown (about 5 minutes per side. put the herbs and garlic into the pan with the meat and pop it into a 350 degree oven. Roast the meat unitl it is to the desired doneness. Since I like mine rare, I take it out of the oven when a thermometer says 125 degrees. Take the meat and the herbs/garlic out of the pan. Put the meat on a serving platter and cover with foil. Carryover heat will continue to cook it. Put the skillet back on the stove and apply medium-high heat. pour in the bourbon and scrape all of the tasty cooked bits off of the bottom of the pan. Add the stock and simmer the sauce until it reduces by half. Strain it and serve with slices of 'strap. Your meat will taste like meat and you will have one of the finest sauces you've ever had.

I forgot to mention that you should whisk 1/3 of a stick of butter into the sauce before serving. It thickens it and adds a nice shine.

TWilson
December 13th, 2006, 11:28 PM
That is very similar to one of my prefered recipes for backstraps and tenderloins. Some of the best eats you will ever have, IMO.:darkbeer: