PDA

View Full Version : Spectre's Custom fishing nets!!!

nybohunter
December 13th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Look what brown brought to me!

All a long we thought our good buddy Spectre was just a great ambassador of archery, he is quite the gifted woodworker.

Good Ole' Spec called this week to confirm the mailing address, and asked if I was heading to Montana to fish this summer? Mumbled something about try this out.

I get home from work today. Tear into the package, and WOW! This net is a work of art. Monte, thanks. I will give this baby the fishing trip it deserves.:smile:

nybohunter
December 13th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Another view.

saywhen1
December 13th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Thats beautiful. I'd like to just hang that on the wall!

Good fishing and of coarse.... good shooting:D

SPECTRE
December 13th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Glad you got it Vic.......... (Sorry for all the bubblewrap) :D :D

Being the guy who has a Fathead of all the characters of "A River Runs Through It" on his wall......... I knew you'd appreciate it and put it to good use.:shade:

For anyone interested............... I can make you one. This one is made of Ash and Walnut (laminated bands on the frame) with the interior handle made of Oak.

You can actually use them, or just hang 'em on the wall. Each one is made custom and wood can be varied to purchasers choice. We made one today that was all oak and walnut and it looked pretty sweet too. Feel free to PM me with interest. (But be warned.............. custom handmade trout nets ain't cheap............. but cheaper than purchasing them from the Orvis website........;) )

Silver Dingo
December 13th, 2006, 11:23 PM
What is it....A snowshoe.:D

SPECTRE
December 13th, 2006, 11:52 PM
What is it....A snowshoe.:D

Tennis Racquet.....:D

Apparently........ " A River Doesn't Run Through Austrailia", LOL

mtboho
December 14th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Hey spec, do you fish in Montana? I used to Live in Fort Smith on the Big Horn River. Fished it quite often. Also an avid fishermen on, the Yellowstone, Stillwater, and my recent favorite the Boulder.

SPECTRE
December 14th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Hey spec, do you fish in Montana? I used to Live in Fort Smith on the Big Horn River. Fished it quite often. Also an avid fishermen on, the Yellowstone, Stillwater, and my recent favorite the Boulder.

Only when the elk hunting sucks............ and the elk hunting rarely sucks.:shade:

nybohunter makes the trip a bunch with his dad though.

Last time I was there I caught some fabulous Browns............. and the bull trout were tasty........:D (Just kidding. I know the bull trout are protected. But for the life of me I don't know how to "not fish for a bull trout", LOL):angel:

bill_rollins
December 14th, 2006, 12:41 AM
looks cool captain! Is that hard to make, if not I bet it is time consuming!:thumbs_up

mtboho
December 14th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Only when the elk hunting sucks............ and the elk hunting rarely sucks.:shade:

nybohunter makes the trip a bunch with his dad though.

Last time I was there I caught some fabulous Browns............. and the bull trout were tasty........:D (Just kidding. I know the bull trout are protected. But for the life of me I don't know how to "not fish for a bull trout", LOL):angel:
It sucked in my area this year, it all burned up in the Derby Fire by Big Timber. 40 head of elk were sitting right out in the open in the charred land still bugling away. Crazy. Bull trout taste kinda like grey wolf. No, more like Bald Eagle.:D nice net!!!!

SPECTRE
December 14th, 2006, 10:21 AM
It sucked in my area this year, it all burned up in the Derby Fire by Big Timber. 40 head of elk were sitting right out in the open in the charred land still bugling away. Crazy. Bull trout taste kinda like grey wolf. No, more like Bald Eagle.:D nice net!!!!

Thanx! I'm pretty proud of 'em. I've sold a bunch here locally to trout guys for $85.00 each, and they get to select their wood combos.

I'll build a net for any AT'er for $75.00 shipped, since y'all are my buddies and all...........:smile:

It does take some time to build one, get it routed, sanded and such. The MOST time consuming job is actually attaching the net to the frame. But it's worth it in the end.

If somebody is interested in one, just shoot me a PM. I can probably get 5 or 6 done in time for Christmas delivery.:angel: The perfect gift for the angler in your family............:star:

Here's a few pics of the Oak / Walnut one that we just finished up for a local customer.......... turned out pretty nice!

SPECTRE
December 14th, 2006, 10:24 AM
:thumbs_up

SPECTRE
December 14th, 2006, 10:26 AM
And an edge view.......

TCR1
December 14th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Nice work Spectre, do you put "catch and release" netting into those?

I have never carried a net with me while fishing. Luckily, I haven't really needed one yet. Those are very nice, even nicer than those Orvis nets you mentioned earlier...

goofy2788
December 14th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Anyone with the name Captain should be able to make a decent net...Well spec you've proven above and beyond that your capable of making an excellant net. Those are great works of art...good job:thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Now did you also make the step stool you use to reach the saws?:eek: :chortle:

Brown Hornet
December 14th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Look at my little buddies work:thumbs_up Man that is a beautiful net.....

To bad I don't need to net smallies and bucketmouths or I order one.....and I am sure one big enough for the big ole stripers we catch would cost as much as obt's trucks.:D

SPECTRE
December 14th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Nice work Spectre, do you put "catch and release" netting into those?

I have never carried a net with me while fishing. Luckily, I haven't really needed one yet. Those are very nice, even nicer than those Orvis nets you mentioned earlier...

yep, release nets in every one.:thumbs_up The nets are pretty shallow (8" deep) and are made for just that purpose. The netting is soft so the fish isn't damaged should you choose to let him go.:shade:

Holy crap, I just realized that I forgot to include dimensions on these things. I gotta go measure.:o

SPECTRE
December 14th, 2006, 11:45 AM
OK, here's the dimensions on the landing nets.

Remember, these are approximate as each net is custom made so there will be a bit of variance by the time the routing and the sanding is complete......

Overall length: 21"
Overall width: 10 3/4"

Net opening is approx. 14" x 9"

mtboho
December 14th, 2006, 06:51 PM
what is one gonna run?

SPECTRE
December 14th, 2006, 11:36 PM
what is one gonna run?

$75.00 shipped in continental U.S. for any ArcheryTalk member. We've sold them locally for a lot more.:thumbs_up

Any orders placed thru Tuesday night should have their nets in time for Christmas.:smile:

mtboho
December 15th, 2006, 12:05 AM
very reasonable price. I have to wait until after christmas though. But don't count me out. do I just pm you when I am ready?

Rack Tracker
December 15th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Can you make me one to land this guy....

http://s2.excoboard.com/forums/8151/user/62116/358935.jpg

SPECTRE
December 17th, 2006, 09:28 PM
very reasonable price. I have to wait until after christmas though. But don't count me out. do I just pm you when I am ready?

Yep, just shoot me a pm with your wood choices and which wood you'd like for the interior part of your handle. We can have it to you in about a week.:)

SPECTRE
January 11th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Just completed another one with different wood choices this time. This version is going on MY wall.

Used Cedar and Oak for the laminated bands with a Walnut Handle. The cedar added a very nice red to the whole shebang.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and try to get them posted.:)