PDA

View Full Version : STS Saved my bacon.....

Muskyhunter1
December 18th, 2006, 06:34 AM
I just thought I would share this with you folks. Last fall I didn’t use a string loop and was shooting my release straight off the string.

In October while hunting I had a nice buck out at thirty yards broadside. I drew back and lined up my 30 yard pin on his chest. I then touched off my release to have my bow go "twang."

To my amazement the arrow was still in my Wiskerbiscuit. The buck just looked around and then continued after some does. I was dumbfounded. I noticed that because of the dry firing my peep cracked and my top brass knocking point came off. At the time I didn't have any idea what had happened. I was thinking that perhaps I didn’t knock my arrow properly to begin with.

A couple of minutes later the same buck hooked back around and was now at 12 yards broadside to me. I had to try another shot. I knocked my arrow (good this time for sure) and made the draw. I touched off the release and the same thing – “twang.” The bow fired and the arrow remained in the Wiskerbiscuit. I was really puzzled now and put the bow down. That was it; my hunt for the day was over. I had to wait on my stand until I was to meet up with my hunting buddies.

Of course, 10 minutes later I had a doe walk past me at 7 yards (had a tag too). I was tempted to try it again but didn’t.

I took my bow into a Pro Shop and they figured my knocking point came off and the pinching action of the string was making the arrow knock slide down and off the string. They fixed me up and got me shooting again.

The Pro Shop couldn’t believe I dry fired (basically) my 70 lb bow twice and there was no damage. They figured the only thing that saved the day (twice) was my STS.

For what it is worth, I now shoot a loop on all my bows and have an STS (or similar device) on all my bows. Live and learn.

Play safe.

ShootingABN!
December 18th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Was you shooting a Bowtech and it didn't blow up?!!!!!! :mg: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yea! I love my STS Custom from Dan (******)!:thumbs_up

Good luck and good shooting!:teeth:

meanv2
December 18th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Was you shooting a Bowtech and it didn't blow up?!!!!!! :mg: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yea! I love my STS Custom from Dan (******)!:thumbs_up

Good luck and good shooting!:teeth:

Thanks ABN!! I have lots of satisfied customers on AT. Thanks to everyone and Merry Christmas!!:)

hunting170
December 18th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Does your bow have LimbSavers? If so they probably helped too.

The CSS is a great thing to have on your bow. I have been satisfied with the 3 that I have bought from Dan.

RobVos
December 18th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I have seen a lot of bows dry fired without any damage at all. (no STS either)

I am amazed when people think every dry-fire ends up in a "blown-up" bow.

meanv2
December 18th, 2006, 12:51 PM
I have seen a lot of bows dry fired without any damage at all. (no STS either)

I am amazed when people think every dry-fire ends up in a "blown-up" bow.

I agree! More bows survive than what you think:)

I have seen more dry fired and survive than I have seen dry fired and blow up. String suppressor or not:D

Muskyhunter1
December 19th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Actually I don't currently have limb savers but I will get some.

I guess I will take your word on them all not blowing up as I don't plan on trying it again.

meanv2
December 19th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Actually I don't currently have limb savers but I will get some.

I guess I will take your word on them all not blowing up as I don't plan on trying it again.

Yep Dryfiring is not a good idea:)

dreamweaver0930
December 19th, 2006, 07:29 AM
I guess I am still lost. If the arrow(se) were properly nocked and you touched off the release, what actually happened that the arrow was still on/in the rest?

Zemmer18
December 19th, 2006, 07:34 AM
I guess I am still lost. If the arrow(se) were properly nocked and you touched off the release, what actually happened that the arrow was still on/in the rest?
Im confused as well. Also what is an STS or CSS as posted above? Excuse my ignorance for not knowing the terminology. Thanks.

TheHairlessone!
December 19th, 2006, 07:34 AM
I have lots of satisfied customers on AT

Another one right here :thumbs_up

Dan will do anything to keep his customers happy.

Also what is an STS or CSS as posted above

There are different versions of the sts. ****** makes one that is camo,etc. and matches your bow perfectly. I have an sts on one bow and one of ******'s on my other bow.

rick

Jeff K in IL
December 19th, 2006, 08:29 AM
I like my CSS, not that I would ever try dry firing my bow with it on though, I just don't want to take any chances..:rolleyes:

meanv2
December 19th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Im confused as well. Also what is an STS or CSS as posted above? Excuse my ignorance for not knowing the terminology. Thanks.

Here's a pic of the string suppressor I make in Max-4:)

meanv2
December 19th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Here's a pic of the new Realtree All Purpose Repeat to match Mathews new Drenaline:)

bowkill87
December 19th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Here's a pic of the new Realtree All Purpose Repeat to match Mathews new Drenaline:)

Hey ******, how much would you charge for one in hardwoods grn, for a fred bear instinct. Would you be able to make one for my bow. Let me know thanks.

meanv2
December 19th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Hey ******, how much would you charge for one in hardwoods grn, for a fred bear instinct. Would you be able to make one for my bow. Let me know thanks.

All Camo models are the same price and yes if you have a rear stabilizer hole I can make one for it.:)

HD Green is a color I keep a few of.

Here is a HD Green rod that has not become a string suppressor yet.:wink:

Shoot me a PM and I'll take care of you:)

LoneWolfArcher
December 19th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Most quality bows will actually withstand a few dry fires if accessorized properly (stabilizer, and other energy dissapating devices). In fact most bow companies dry fire test their bows.

However, you never know so it is NEVER recommended, but it isn't uncommon to hear stories such as yours, even without a STS.

gzg38b
December 19th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I think the really interesting part of this post is "why did the bow dry fire"?

It sounds like you were shooting a short ATA bow with the release clipped on the string. Your knockset or eliminator button probably moved and as a result the arrow popped off the string at full draw.

This is EXACTLY why I went to a string loop. I nearly dry fired my bow a couple of times due to the string pinch sliding the knock off the string at full draw.

Stanley
December 19th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I think the really interesting part of this post is "why did the bow dry fire"?

It sounds like you were shooting a short ATA bow with the release clipped on the string. Your knockset or eliminator button probably moved and as a result the arrow popped off the string at full draw.

This is EXACTLY why I went to a string loop. I nearly dry fired my bow a couple of times due to the string pinch sliding the knock off the string at full draw.
Good point

sbchunter
December 19th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Mean V how much do you sell you String Supressors for?

meanv2
December 19th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Mean V how much do you sell you String Supressors for?

PM sent:)

There is a huge thread about my string suppressors in the general section of classifieds. Look for the Green Arrow and 20,000+ views:)