PDA

View Full Version : Bowhunting Pronghorn Antelope

Scrapeliner
January 10th, 2007, 12:51 AM
I plan on trying out bow hunting pronghorn antelope this year in Saskatchewan and well the area i hunt has alot of small ponds and finding water is just not an issue, so i plan on spot-n-stalk but was wondering if anyone has tried decoying or calling? Unfortunately i only have 3 days of solid hunting but i am going to make the most of those 3 days.

Thanks

archermike
January 10th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Let me be the first to wish you Good Luck!!!

Stalking Antelope is very difficult. (to say the least) :mad: I have used a decoy, in all my experiences the Antelope will not come any closer than 75yds to the decoy. I'm sure other hunters have had better success with a decoy, but not me! :wink:

I tried to stalk 40+ bucks in 2 1/2 days using a decoy, and found myself hiding behind a tank dam with the decoy back at the truck when I shot mine at 68yrds coming to water. I'm sure calling will work but only at the right time durning the rut.

just my .02
Archermike

chongo
January 10th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I had my decoy made for me out of plywood - it was a bit bigger than say a 3D target - I painted it myself and for the eyes I went to an arts and crafts store and got the really big stick on eyes - this worked surprisingly well - more often then not I could put the decoy up and the goats would come to me without having to do much of a stalk - I wish I had pics to show you but - I loaned it out and never got it back. Goodluck with your hunt - antelope are a blast to hunt!

Beaver
January 10th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Decoying effectively is all about timing. What dates will you be hunting? Antelope around here start rutting really hard the end of September and run until first week of October. This is the time to use a decoy and have a blast, a call can be helpful but isn't necessary. Antelope will cover a lot of ground if they are rutted up and think an intruder has entered their area. If you aren't able to hunt during the rut you might consider finding a fence crossing, bottleneck or highly used water source.

DECOY: http://www.montanadecoy.com/

Bigsho69
January 10th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Decoying can be successful but you need the right type of terrain. You need to close to within 100yds maybe a little more of within the herd buck to be the most successful. If you can crawl into this range and slowly raise up the decoy, you will be surprised by what can happen. If you try to hide behind the decoy from 1/2 mile away and slowly walk towards a buck he will probably run. Bushes, hills, or any break in terrain can be a great aid in getting close. Another option is if you have cattle in the area that the antelope are hanging out you might want to cut out a decoy shaped like a cow. This worked for my father in law and I this past season. We were able to get close 50yds to several bucks and my father in law took a nice one just shy of P&Y. We actually both hid behind the decoy with me working the cow and him behind me as the shooter. I think most antelope decoys are a broadside view and this seems unnatural to a buck when it is moving sideways towards him. This cow is facing towards the animal so it seem more natural. I have also found an antelope decoy that is too large will spook bucks. In the past I have had bucks come pretty close to a decoy under the right conditions. Other people I know have had bucks actually run so close they brush against the decoy as they go by. Just be ready if you see one getting ready to charge because it will happen FAST! At 60mph they can really close the gap. Timing of the rut is important as well.

Scrapeliner
January 10th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, there isn't a whole lot of information regarding bowhunting pronghorn antelope aside from blind hunting. I plan on hunting mid-late september just before my elk hunt, that montanadecoy sure looks interesting, never hunted with a decoy before.

thanks again.

Rackmastr
January 10th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Mid to late September is perfect here in Alberta. Decoying is the best way to get on a bunch of bucks, but you have to do it right. Get within 100 yards before using it, and be ready. Make sure you get the decoy dirty a bit so its not glaring at all or bright. Some herd bucks will take their does and run, but some will challenge if you get inside their 'zone'.

Waterhole hunting is fun too, depending on the amount of water you have in the area can be very good or very slow....

Bigsho69
January 10th, 2007, 05:51 PM
The montana decoy is good if you have two people. It wont stay in the ground easily during windy conditions and is hard to handle (two stakes) in the wind. I would suggest trying to find the Mel Dutton video on how to decoy antelope. I bought a mel dutton decoy (one stake) and havent regretted it since. I did have to take it to a welder and have the metal stake lengthened because I am tall. His video is old but it is one of the very few you will find. You might try giving him a call for some pointers because he is a great guy and will talk to you if he is there. If you cant find anything on the video maybe I can make a copy of the one my father in law has if youre interested.

Sask Riverrunt
January 15th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Sent you a P.M.

Bullhound
January 15th, 2007, 05:59 PM
:ROFLMAO: :rock:
Decoying can be successful but you need the right type of terrain. You need to close to within 100yds maybe a little more of within the herd buck to be the most successful. If you can crawl into this range and slowly raise up the decoy, you will be surprised by what can happen. If you try to hide behind the decoy from 1/2 mile away and slowly walk towards a buck he will probably run. Bushes, hills, or any break in terrain can be a great aid in getting close. Another option is if you have cattle in the area that the antelope are hanging out you might want to cut out a decoy shaped like a cow. This worked for my father in law and I this past season. We were able to get close 50yds to several bucks and my father in law took a nice one just shy of P&Y. We actually both hid behind the decoy with me working the cow and him behind me as the shooter. I think most antelope decoys are a broadside view and this seems unnatural to a buck when it is moving sideways towards him. This cow is facing towards the animal so it seem more natural. I have also found an antelope decoy that is too large will spook bucks. In the past I have had bucks come pretty close to a decoy under the right conditions. Other people I know have had bucks actually run so close they brush against the decoy as they go by. Just be ready if you see one getting ready to charge because it will happen FAST! At 60mph they can really close the gap. Timing of the rut is important as well.

That's funny that you put that up. I was just thinking about me and my buddy that did the same thing in Southern Idaho! He had this big idea that we would use a cow decoy! The one he made was freakin full size and from a side view, rather than your straight on look. I he lives down there and told me, "hey bud, this is gonna work":tongue: :thumbs_up

well, the decoy was as wide as the truck but was light and had handles on it. We used it three times to close the distance on Antelope! We got inside 40 yards twice! I ended up with a small buck and I was laughin' my head off at what we must have looked like!:confused: :cow: :***:

AJ008
January 15th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I've stalked within 20 yards and 30 yards once. Where we hunt its a high to low spot with couless that run down it so all you have to do is find a herd and a coulee that will lead you to them... There is so long distance shooting, even with a rifle.

Flagging is a great little trick, don't know if its legal every where but if you just wave a small white piece of cloth they will come in. We've brought them in from miles away doing that.

Gave the decoy thing a good try this past season and I almost had my P&Y buck but our set up was bad. The herd was about 1 mile away give or take and that decoy was up for maybe 5 seconds max before the whole herd started booking it towards us!!! Very exciting!:thumbs_up
What wooks is sitting in a blind with your deek 15 yards to the side of it where you'll think it has the best chance of being seen. A friend used a 3D targert and killed one the 2 or 3 years he tried it;)

Next year it will happen:cool:

Good luck!

Bullhound
January 15th, 2007, 07:48 PM
AJ,

yeah, the flagging does work, but if I'm not mistaken, you can't do it here in Idaho. At least that's what we understood. My buddy did do it on a few, prior to season, and sent me some video. I may see if I can find it, cause you could actually see the hanky and the lopes' coming to it. It is also, my most uninformed opinion that "if" you are inside 30-40 yards of Antelope, they don't seem to see you as well and are not as skittish. This is what I've seen in limited experience. Maybe their binocular eyes can't focus that well up real close?:confused: Probably just coincedence.

AJ008
January 15th, 2007, 08:41 PM
AJ,

yeah, the flagging does work, but if I'm not mistaken, you can't do it here in Idaho. At least that's what we understood. My buddy did do it on a few, prior to season, and sent me some video. I may see if I can find it, cause you could actually see the hanky and the lopes' coming to it. It is also, my most uninformed opinion that "if" you are inside 30-40 yards of Antelope, they don't seem to see you as well and are not as skittish. This is what I've seen in limited experience. Maybe their binocular eyes can't focus that well up real close?:confused: Probably just coincedence.

That would make sence about the eyes, my dad was saying they have like 8x eyes, thats pretty good! Probably have better eyes. I guess the pronghorn is an ancient breed, kinda cool.