PDA

View Full Version : Crappie Fishing?

josh2
January 13th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Anyone know what to look for when you crappie fish in like april or may? And what kind of tactics/bait do you use?

I am in NW PA if that helps any

Thanks!
Josh

jagerace
January 13th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I've always had the best luck with chartruse jigs in the early part of the year. Minnows work well for lots of fish, but usually no size to them. The bigger ones hit the jigs!!!

Josh

gju42486
January 14th, 2007, 03:13 PM
josh, i too am from nw pa, where do you plan on fishing, i fish pymatuning alot and doe awesome with crappies there early in the season- from about may untill july- if your in the area let me know- id be happy to have you tag along if your interested.

INHUNTER
January 14th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Look for structure. Usually fish along a channel, trees in the water, etc. Early and late, you have to fish a little deeper, but if you hit it just right they will be in shallow. It all depends on the water temps. I've not tried jigs too much but have had some success. My best luck has always been on minnows.

Good luck!

josh2
January 14th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I will prolyl be fishing pymetuning, Sugar Lake, and other local lakes, there are 2 small lakes I would like to try on Gamelands 69(no name lakes). I will most likely be using a slip bobber with a ice ant and minnow.

adamfigge
January 15th, 2007, 10:51 PM
i just got an older boat this year, so its going to be my first year fishing a lot. I never have done much crappie fishing, what kind of jigs do you guys use? Are you using plastic jigs or maribou jigs? What else do you have good luck with?

doctariAFC
January 16th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I love crappie fishing. Its a great time in the spring, as when you get into a school, you get a fish on literally on every cast.

What to look for.... This depends on the body of water, of course. What I like to target are large emerging weed beds found in the 6-10' range during spring. Structure like a deadfall, brush pile, or even an early season wooden dock (placed in water early in Spring) delivers, provided the structure is near deeper water fo escape routes.

Crappies will typically feed using a vertical movement. Their eyes are positioned in such a way that they naturall look upwards, and that is how they typically feed, coming from below. Although you can catch crappie working the bottom, strikes are delicate and will be few and far between.

My tactics are pretty simple. I will first use a water coverage lure, like a 1/8oz Beetle Spin spinnerbait, presenting either a white grub or chartreuse grub. Cast out and let her sink for a few seconds, then steady retrieve nice and slow, so the blade is just turning. You'll know when a fish hits. Once you have hooked up, toss a marker buoy, then after you've determined the wind direction, set your anchor to stay on the spot. At that time, it's time for the slip bobber. Working timber is certainly easier and doesn't require a whole lot of probing, but, in any case, depth of your presentation is crucial.

When I work a slip float rig, I use 1/8 oz to 1/16 oz jighead and a white or off-white plastic grub or other similar plastic. Small. 1" or 2", at the largest. I will also tip this with a minnow, but that isn't always necessary. If you're not using any live bait, be certain to move the presentation periodically. Keep a sharp eye on your float, as a crappie is just as likely to make the float pop and then lay flat as it is to take her under. That float does something "different", set the hook GENTLY and start reeling.

God, I love spring crappie fishing.....

Paul S.
January 29th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Good God thats a pig!!! What did that one weigh?

doctariAFC
January 29th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Good God thats a pig!!! What did that one weigh?

About 2lbs. :D