PDA

View Full Version : Long Island(NY) Catfish?

ARCHERYSNOB
January 16th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Couple of Catfish questions for any Long Islanders.

Can you recommend any good ponds/lakes that have Catfish in them on LI? My kids want to catch them this year,and I have only caught them upstate .

-These Catfish on Long Island,,,are they OK to eat? I have heard that they are not to be eaten, and I am not a big fan of catch and release. thanks-joe

doctariAFC
January 16th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Couple of Catfish questions for any Long Islanders.

Can you recommend any good ponds/lakes that have Catfish in them on LI? My kids want to catch them this year,and I have only caught them upstate .

-These Catfish on Long Island,,,are they OK to eat? I have heard that they are not to be eaten, and I am not a big fan of catch and release. thanks-joe
They're great eating and safe. The health advisories in the NYSDEC Fishing Regs book have long been a bone of contention with anglers, as the methodoloy for testing is not consistent with actual consumption practices. Basically, fish are taken whole, ground up to soupy nastiness, and a spectrum analysis is done of the goop. This includes all entrails, skin, head, bones, meat, fins, tail, barbles, eyeballs, brain, everything. We only consume the meat. Contaminents in any living creature primarily reside in the organs and fatty tissue, with the exception of mercury, which resides in muscle tissue, and is easy to spot.

These fish are no more dangerous to you than a can of tuna you buy off the grocer's shelves. Its good to know that some contaminents may exist, but in all honesty, the meat is pretty clean, every bit as clean as tuna or other store-bought seafood.

However, if you wish to use some form of live bait, like minnows/ chubs, you had best bone up on the new VHS Containment regulations currently under consideration.

ARCHERYSNOB
January 17th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the info.-joe

jf69
January 26th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I fish at mill pond in seaforg for cats, the state record is from there. also cats at lake ronkonkoma

ARCHERYSNOB
January 29th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the info.

Any other places?