PDA

View Full Version : What Changes Would You Make to Hunting Regs in Your State?

nicko
January 21st, 2007, 11:30 PM
The Pennsylvania Game Commission is holding their winter meeting to go over proposed changes to the game laws and to set seasons and bag limits for the 2007-2008 season. It got me to thinking about which hunting regs I would like to see changed.

Current hunting start and end times in PA are one half-hour before sunrise to sunset. One proposal that will be voted on at the meeting is to extend the end of hunting hours to one half-hour after sunset but for the September resident goose season only. That's one proposal I'd like to see passed for all hunting seasons in the state. I always feel like I'm quitting too early when I have to stop hunting at sunset and there is so much light left. Hell, hunting hours begin one half-hour before sunrise and most days, it's still too dark to see anything clearly. I've never understood why we have to quit at sunset when we can begin hunting before the sun even comes up. That's the first hunting regulation I would change in PA.

What are some of the hunting laws you'd like to see changed in your state?

BowHunter6666
January 21st, 2007, 11:32 PM
Id like to see NY season start in September and go to January our season is extremely short compared to most states and id like to do something prime early season hunting over food sources.

Cooter144
January 21st, 2007, 11:56 PM
I would love to see MN push the deer rifle season back a few weeks. Currently it opens the first weekend of Nov.

MI.BOWMAN
January 22nd, 2007, 12:04 AM
I'd like to see MI. go to a one buck rule with a six or better restriction. Also I would like to see our gun season moved back to the end of nov. MI. has great trophy potential , the problem is we have the most hunter's therefor our deer are extremely pressured. Not to mention we have to many brown it's down hunter mentality. It's doubtful we will ever see these changes..

PABowhunt4life
January 22nd, 2007, 12:06 AM
The only thing I would change in PA is to let us hunt on Sundays :thumbs_up

I would also suggest that a WCO be present in the parking lot of every set of Game Lands in the entire state on opening morning of gun season and anyone who parks there will have to take a breathilizer test.

elkkat
January 22nd, 2007, 12:26 AM
I would like to see Mt. end rifle hunt during the rut.:cool:

DougKMN
January 22nd, 2007, 01:12 AM
This is almost off-topic:

I would make it so any landowner in MN got a tax break for opening up their land to hunters. The land would be registered as available to the public, however the landowner would reserve the right to eject people as they saw fit.

kyle31490
January 22nd, 2007, 01:17 AM
Honestly, I'd like to see the PA game commision charged with murder one :D

Anyway, I think we should have a two week archery season for black bear, not two days. I think they should extend rifle bear season from 3 up to 5 days. I think we should cut rifle deer season down to 5 days and eliminate doe hunting for 1 year. Once the deer herd starts to come back around, I think we should have the old fashion 2 weeks of buck and 3 days of doe for rifle. I think our duck season should be 1 season, from oct 1st to jan 1st. I think the game commision should admit thier mistake with the coyotes and put a $50 bounty per dead dog. I think they should admit to the mistake of bringing and losing the mountain lions they released in Eldred, PA. They also should put a bounty of $200 on those cats that are starting to cause problems. I think we should have Sunday hunting. I think the daily bag limit on grouse should be increased to 4. I think it should be legal to wear a blaze orange hat in Spring Gobbler season. I think I could sit here ALL night and pick out their mistakes. I think we need help in Pennsylvania, NW pa in specific.

So yea, I guess I think a lot. Pennsylvania is in SERIOUS trouble, and it isn't gonna get better without something darastic happening. Anyone else think anything?

deerhunter3241
January 22nd, 2007, 03:07 AM
I'd like to see the point restriction law go statewide...I would also like the firearms season to be shortened to 7 days...

Stump pounder
January 22nd, 2007, 03:12 AM
I think Oregons laws are fine They just need a lot more officers to enforce them. Its a poachers free for all in this state and most people are clueless to it, If I see one more pick up driving around with guys in lawn chairs rideing around flinging arrows at another deer im going to snap! I mean My Gosh people its bow hunting. Sorry I have a little hard spot with this LOL

Dwarfking
January 22nd, 2007, 04:48 AM
I woukld like my country to allow us to hunt with bows and arrows!:thumbs_up

Janez

nicko
January 22nd, 2007, 07:38 AM
Honestly, I'd like to see the PA game commision charged with murder one

Anyway, I think we should have a two week archery season for black bear, not two days. I think they should extend rifle bear season from 3 up to 5 days. I think we should cut rifle deer season down to 5 days and eliminate doe hunting for 1 year. Once the deer herd starts to come back around, I think we should have the old fashion 2 weeks of buck and 3 days of doe for rifle. I think our duck season should be 1 season, from oct 1st to jan 1st. I think the game commision should admit thier mistake with the coyotes and put a $50 bounty per dead dog. I think they should admit to the mistake of bringing and losing the mountain lions they released in Eldred, PA. They also should put a bounty of $200 on those cats that are starting to cause problems. I think we should have Sunday hunting. I think the daily bag limit on grouse should be increased to 4. I think it should be legal to wear a blaze orange hat in Spring Gobbler season. I think I could sit here ALL night and pick out their mistakes. I think we need help in Pennsylvania, NW pa in specific.

So yea, I guess I think a lot. Pennsylvania is in SERIOUS trouble, and it isn't gonna get better without something darastic happening. Anyone else think anything?

Wow Kyle, you really think things are that bad in PA? I will say that the whole deer situation and disgruntled hunters using their influence to get lawmakers to vote down any proposed license fee hikes is serious trouble. I would like to see more deer myself but I don't think the deer situation is a grave as some make it to be. However, the deer situation is driving the future of the PAGC and without the increased revenue from a license fee hike, things are never going to get better. So in that vein, the Game Commission will never have the funds to pay out bountys on coyotes and mountain lions.

I don't know how resolved the PAGC is sticking to the current deer management model and seasons and for how long. But when they reach the end of the rope financially, it makes you wonder if they'll just go down with the ship or they'll give in to the masses and make changes to the deer seasons to get the money they need.

LetThemGrow
January 22nd, 2007, 08:00 AM
1. I think the game commision should admit thier mistake with the coyotes and put a $50 bounty per dead dog.

2. I think they should admit to the mistake of bringing and losing the mountain lions they released in Eldred, PA. They also should put a bounty of $200 on those cats that are starting to cause problems.

3. I think the daily bag limit on grouse should be increased to 4.

4. I think it should be legal to wear a blaze orange hat in Spring Gobbler season.

5. Pennsylvania is in SERIOUS trouble, and it isn't gonna get better without something darastic happening. Anyone else think anything?1. Mistake??? :confused3:

2. Really??? When did that happen?

3. Why?? Are they overpopulated?

4. It isn't legal now?? Didn't know there was a law against wearing orange? :confused3:

5. Serious trouble???

I would like to see private land bonus tags, with the exception of Special Regs areas. I would like to see 1 week firearm season, with the exception of SR areas. I would like to see a computerized/phone report system for all hunters with stiff fines for those who don't comply. I would love to see much stiffer penalties for poaching.

bowtechguy19
January 22nd, 2007, 08:17 AM
I would change Indiana's whole season layout, so that it was very similar to Ohio and Illinois. I believe this is why Indiana does not have near the track record that it should.

BTG19

cgsabo
January 22nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
- Allow hunting on Sundays
- Make it impossible to sue a landowner who simply gives permission to hunt
(recent rulings have made it neccessary to revise the landowner laws that were past in the sixties)

WVhunter1975
January 22nd, 2007, 09:27 AM
There are MANY things I would like to see change here in West Virginia.

1. Our season is short. Now season is from Oct. 14th through Dec. 31st. I would like to see that opened up a tad. Maybe Oct. 1st - the end of the year.

2. WV allows to many Bucks to be taken. This year it was down to three (from 5 last year :mg: ) but in my opinion, thats not good enough. Go to two max. Our buck to doe ratio here is really screwed up! Add the fact that in several counties the doe season was closed or limited to one this year. We have more doe than buck here in WV, yet you could harvest 3 bucks and NO doe's in several areas...Now what type of deer management system is that! :confused:

3. Currently we have three weeks of Rifle season (two weeks for buck followed by one week for doe only) which is then followed by one week of muzzleloader season. I would like to see the muzzleloader season moved to before the Rifle season, extended from one to two weeks, and in turn reduce the Rifle season to two weeks (from its current three).

4. WV needs some type of QDM system. I dont know the answer to this one to be honest, but we need something. Most people in this state use the unfortunate "If its brown, its down" statement when it comes to bucks. Spikes, buttons, tiny little forked 4's etc. etc. are blasted up year after year. Like every American I would love to harvest a true trophy buck...But that is not the only reason I hunt, I also happen to LOVE the meat, the thrill of ANY hunt etc. That said, I want to see bigger deer, older deer, more mature deer in both body mass, as well as antler size. Antler restrictions? Minimum spread? Something has to be done.

5. Allow Sunday hunting across the state!!!!!

6. the WVDNR needs to get a whole heck of a lot tougher on people who hunt outside of set rules and regulations. SO MANY people ride their ATV's around everywhere up here (with their rifle/bow etc. in tow) and shoot deer from the four wheeler, or try to run them etc. B.S.!!!:mad: Slap these lazy moron's with a HUGE fine and take away there hunting rights for at least a year.

Ok, rant over LOL

ShearMadness
January 22nd, 2007, 09:35 AM
sunday hunting would sure be nice

slinger09
January 22nd, 2007, 09:45 AM
I would move the opener of rifle season to December 1st.

deermasher
January 22nd, 2007, 09:46 AM
here in iowa i would like to see them do away with there thanksgiving weekend anterless seasone with guns that runs concurrent with archery season. it's dangerous and all it does it gets the deer spooked for the following weekend when the general gun season opens.....then i'd like to see them do away with out of staters being able to party hunt. that loop hole is costing the state alot of money and isn't fair to the guys that want to hunt here and can't get a licences.....then the outfitters here that are leasing up the land should have to buy some sort of outfitters licences why should i have to have one to do taxidermy work and to be a comercial fisherman you need to buy a licences why shouldn't they have to buy one to be an outfitter......then they could raise the price on the non-resident tags some more if it would keep the price of our resident tags from going up.....just my thoughts..................

trs8804
January 22nd, 2007, 09:49 AM
I would DEFINATELY move our rifle season outta the rut.

danimal7802
January 22nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
I would DEFINATELY move our rifle season outta the rut.

no doubt! missouri has the dumbest Department in the midwest....:mad:

tpriest
January 22nd, 2007, 09:59 AM
In Iowa I would like the Thanksgiving Doe only gun hunt gone. I would also like to see a Earn a Buck put in place. I wouldn't mind if I could carry a side arm while bow hunting either.

I would also like to see the DNR let the hunters use their unfilled doe tags in the late January doe only season. We bought them, they want the does shot, let us use the unfilled tags from the previous seasons regardless if they are bow or gun. To explain....I had 1 archery doe tag and 2 shotgun doe tags that were only good during their season dates. I did not fill these tags. Iowa has a late season doe only in January, but most of the quotas are filled for the doe tags form the previous seasons....I am saying they should let us use the tags we bought for those seasons in January.

Todd

Code3
January 22nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
To be able to shoot Doe's with a archery tag. And a second archery season during November and December.

Buckeyehunter12
January 22nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
I think ohio should start with the earn a buck program. Also take out that stupid second shotgun season.

BuckeyeRed
January 22nd, 2007, 10:34 AM
I was reading thru the entire regulation book a while back and spotted this. In Illinois it's illegal to wear Blaze Orange Camo pattern!! Must be Solid Blaze to be legal! I guess some hunters might mistake the blaze camo for a moving burning bush?? And that would be a reason to shoot it why????
I just thought that was too stupid to be law.:confused:

Slippy Field
January 22nd, 2007, 10:37 AM
Non-residents can only take antlerless. :darkbeer:

TheCamoGhost
January 22nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Put a limit of 2 bucks per season in place, and have a decent way to enforce it!! As it is right now there is no check-in system and most parts of the state have no limit on bucks...As stupid as this sounds, the early season which runs in the lower part of the state Aug.15th - Sep. 15th is BUCK ONLY!! This is traditionally hunted with dogs and guns, and one more time ITS BUCK ONLY!! Also during reg. season does cannot be shot on a lot days, but bucks can be shot anytime ? I think the states reg's are backwards and that is why we are lucky to see a 6 pointer all season! Flingr

bigrackHack
January 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
I'd like to see AR statewide. That's really about it. Texas does a great job. :)

Bullhound
January 22nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
:thumbs_up

I would make it so any landowner in MN got a tax break for opening up their land to hunters. The land would be registered as available to the public, however the landowner would reserve the right to eject people as they saw fit.

I think it's right on topic and a good point. We have a program here in Idaho that does basicaly what you've suggested. It is called Access Yes. Landowners are compensated for opening up their land to public hunting. They get to decide things like how many people are allowed on their land, what sort of travel is allowed on the land, whether a person needs to contact them directly to get permission, etc...

I think it's a good deal, but we have any ORG trying to get itself fully asteblished in Idaho call SFW and they have proven that they would, if they could get there hands on the deal, auction the tags or access off to the rich, and screw the average hunter. :thumbs_do

I feel for you folks that can'y hunt Sundays.

Slippy Field
January 22nd, 2007, 10:45 AM
Residents can use fully automatic weaponry during the regular shotgun season but for anterless only. :darkbeer:

Jeff in SC
January 22nd, 2007, 10:51 AM
Put a limit of 2 bucks per season in place, and have a decent way to enforce it!! As it is right now there is no check-in system and most parts of the state have no limit on bucks...As stupid as this sounds, the early season which runs in the lower part of the state Aug.15th - Sep. 15th is BUCK ONLY!! This is traditionally hunted with dogs and guns, and one more time ITS BUCK ONLY!! Also during reg. season does cannot be shot on a lot days, but bucks can be shot anytime ? I think the states reg's are backwards and that is why we are lucky to see a 6 pointer all season! Flingr

Flingr, I agree with you totally! I was really hoping that they would have changed them this past year. Talking with some DNR friends, it does not look good for any future changes anytime soon!

hunteraj
January 22nd, 2007, 10:53 AM
i would like to see nebraska stop rifle hunting the rut! our mulies are so vulnerable then and very few live to maturity. also, most units get extra doe tags for rifle hunting but archers don't. kinda one sided i think!!

Sparkkky
January 22nd, 2007, 10:56 AM
I want them to leave well enough alone! Don't know why some of you think more laws or restrictions are better? If you have power to manage you area then do so!

Slippy Field
January 22nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Don't know why some of you think more laws or restrictions are better? If you have power to manage you area then do so!

Whats up your butt? :confused:

Jimmieal1b
January 22nd, 2007, 11:18 AM
Bowhunting-- None.

I'd like to see shotgun season extended from just two weekends on either side of Thanksgiving to an entire month-- say from Nov. 15 to Dec 15.

SilentHntr.
January 22nd, 2007, 11:20 AM
I would put an end to party hunting and tag sharing. I would also limit antlered tags by county, as is currently being done with antlerless tags.

Those two things would offer quality and quantity for all hunters to enjoy. As we know not everyone is a rack hunter, but some are and thats okay. As it currently is most young bucks in the prairie areas are dead before they reach 2 1/2 years of age.

Sparkkky
January 22nd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Whats up your butt? :confused:

All the archer only's want to do away with gun hunters and want stupid changes like earn a buck and AR's! Slinger wants rifle season pushed back a couple of weeks, like thats going to change anything!

Slippy Field
January 22nd, 2007, 11:31 AM
All the archer only's want to do away with gun hunters and want stupid changes like earn a buck and AR's! Slinger wants rifle season pushed back a couple of weeks, like thats going to change anything!

Fair enough.

All and all, I think in Ohio our laws are pretty cool but I still don't want non-residents killing bucks.

The one about tag sharing, we can't do that in Ohio. I knew they allowed that in Canada and I think its pretty gay. Its like these people will pay people who don't even hunt to go buy a tag and give it to them so they can kill more animals. Thats pretty darned stupid if you ask me. :mad:

Sparkkky
January 22nd, 2007, 11:37 AM
Fair enough.

The one about tag sharing, we can't do that in Ohio. I knew they allowed that in Canada and I think its pretty gay. Its like these people will pay people who don't even hunt to go buy a tag and give it to them so they can kill more animals. Thats pretty darned stupid if you ask me. :mad:

That go's on everywere and is illegal most of those place's around here if we could stop it the people calling for change's would stop!

Something that no one here (AT) seems to understand is more laws will not stop the abuse thats already happening.

slinger09
January 22nd, 2007, 11:56 AM

Since when am I not entitled to an opinion. What kind of scientific background do you have that would guarantee my opinion is wrong. If game laws were not put into effect there would be several species hunted out. I guess you do not remember hunting 20 years ago when it was rare to even see a white-tail. There is not a state in the union that does not have game regulations so you might as well get used to it.

BoDucker
January 22nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Move gun season back a few more weeks. Would be nice of the ol MDC. While their at it up the non-resident tag prices or charge what that state does for us to hunt there. :wink:

T-Bone80
January 22nd, 2007, 12:25 PM
Bowhunting-- None.

I'd like to see shotgun season extended from just two weekends on either side of Thanksgiving to an entire month-- say from Nov. 15 to Dec 15.

That is one thing i don't want to happen, or our buck quality will really go downhill like Indianas has. currently indiana has, i believe, 16days of shotgun, a week break with no hunting period, and then 16 days of muzzleloader. there buck quality has really decreased. That is probably why the post on up the thread from an Indiana hunter said he would like to see their season setup like Illinois.

Dredly
January 22nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
sunday hunting!

And no inlines during Archery season. Flintlock only

Slippy Field
January 22nd, 2007, 12:38 PM
sunday hunting!

We got Sunday hunting like 7-8 years back. Sure is nice for us folk who work. :thumbs_up

Flintlocks are junk.

oldglorynewbie
January 22nd, 2007, 12:54 PM

I think this idea has some merits. There needs to be some sort of incentive for landowners to allow hunters on their land. I could see some serious problems with declaring it as public land though. I think it would work better if it was treated more as a draw hunt and still allow the land owners the right to eject hunters that deserved it.

bugg00jr
January 22nd, 2007, 12:59 PM
Id like to see NY season start in September and go to January our season is extremely short compared to most states and id like to do something prime early season hunting over food sources.

i agree 100%. our season is too short. id like to see archery open up on september in the southern zone. it opens up north in september doesnt it? so why not southern zone. and id like to see it go into january, like mid month or so. thats what i would change, but i think DEC has other ideas....:angry:

Bobmuley
January 22nd, 2007, 01:06 PM
I'd like to see an IQ test implemented prior to tags being dispersed...:wink:

kravguy
January 22nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
I'd like to see an IQ test implemented prior to tags being dispersed...:wink:

I like it !!:thumbs_up

MO_southpaw
January 22nd, 2007, 01:35 PM
id like to see Missouri and actually most states to implement a MINIUM ANTLER POINT HARVEST rule.

6pts min statewide.

GoldenMonkey
January 22nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
In maryland I would like for the to add sunday hunting in all counties and let the archery season run through the gun seasons.

as it is now, you cant archery hunt during muzzleloader or shotgun season. which makes no sense to me.

danimal7802
January 22nd, 2007, 01:43 PM
sunday hunting!

that is pretty dumb.....:dontknow: :loco:

Unkljohn
January 22nd, 2007, 01:51 PM
my wishes would be simple.
#1 A strict tagging system, animals must be tagged before transporting them anywhere.
#2 Either eliminate running dogs for deer, or enforce the laws that are on the books about hunting from the roads.

LetThemGrow
January 22nd, 2007, 02:03 PM
What is wrong with inlines, especially if they aren't scoped? You hunt with what you want, why can't others? :confused3:

Sparkkky
January 22nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
Since when am I not entitled to an opinion. What kind of scientific background do you have that would guarantee my opinion is wrong. If game laws were not put into effect there would be several species hunted out. I guess you do not remember hunting 20 years ago when it was rare to even see a white-tail. There is not a state in the union that does not have game regulations so you might as well get used to it.

TIME OUT!!! All I mean't was you for one here on AT from OK wants a change. Me I think the ODWC does a fine job and I think your local hunters habits make alot more difference the a earn a doe.

I think we should move the season to June and shoot only three legged doe's with one antler over 24"!!!;)

slinger09
January 22nd, 2007, 02:09 PM
TIME OUT!!! All I mean't was you for one here on AT from OK wants a change. Me I think the ODWC does a fine job and I think your local hunters habits make alot more difference the a earn a doe.

I think we should move the season to June and shoot only three legged doe's with one antler over 24"!!!;)

How much public land do you hunt on? If you are on private land where QDM is being practiced I am sure you would indifferent to any changes. You have to look at the state as a whole not just where you are hunting.

Slippy Field
January 22nd, 2007, 02:10 PM
What is wrong with inlines

I have an inline so I have no chicken in this cockfight but let me say this, I do have a problem here in Ohio with them calling muzzloader season "traditional" season. There ain't nothing traditional about a muzzleloader that will shoot lights out from 300 yards or more. I guess at the same token though, bows are considered "traditional" as well and there ain't nothing traditional about a carbon shaft traveling at 300 feet per second carrying a spinning razor blade either.

Did that make any sense or not? :confused:

If not, forget it.

Team Hoyt PA
January 22nd, 2007, 03:16 PM
The only thing I would change in PA is to let us hunt on Sundays :thumbs_up

I would also suggest that a WCO be present in the parking lot of every set of Game Lands in the entire state on opening morning of gun season and anyone who parks there will have to take a breathilizer test.

I'd like to see the same thing for archery season then. This thread wasn't created to badmouth people so i'll hold back. But just watch your words. :thumbs_do

Northforker
January 22nd, 2007, 03:32 PM
Bowhunting-- None.

That has to be the WORST idea I have ever heard regarding deer season suggestions in Illinois, why not just spread poison bait and use fully automatic weapons mounted on turrets on your 4 wheeler.:thumbs_do

danimal7802
January 22nd, 2007, 03:35 PM
I'd like to see the same thing for archery season then. This thread wasn't created to badmouth people so i'll hold back. But just watch your words. :thumbs_do

what was so wrong with that statement?

Down4dacount
January 22nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
Let's face it, license fee's are a HUGE cash cow in Michigan. As bad as I want to see the regulation change to one buck, it never will. They are already planning on increasing the cost of a resident combo tag to $75 for 07. I'm not good at math, but if you take into consideration the 2.7 million (approximately) hunters that take to the woods each year, and multiply that by $75.....wow that's a lot of money!!!

Personally, I would like to see the DNR flirt with the idea of earn a buck for a few years. After harvesting your doe, you get one buck tag. It sure would make true "trophy" hunters become a lot more selective in what they harvest. Granted, people are still going to poach and not play by the rules, but I think it would help alleviate the problem of all the year and half old bucks being killed. Just my opinion.

Bogenschutze
January 22nd, 2007, 03:52 PM
I would really like to see Sunday archery hunting all season long.

ButchA
January 22nd, 2007, 03:53 PM
sunday hunting would sure be nice

Bingo...

CERTAIN STATES NEED TO GET WITH THE TIMES AND ALLOW SUNDAY HUNTING!!!!! :rant: :mmph:

http://www.nraila.org/images/sundayhunting.jpg

It is a huge ongoing battle here in Virginia and it just drives me insane. Imagine if you owned a farm with 120 acres.... It's YOUR farm, you know? It's YOUR land. But yet, you are NOT allowed to hunt on a Sunday on your own land in Virginia. Ain't that some #*@& ?!?!?! :angry: :frusty:

Butch A.

Edit: No, I don't own a farm or my own land in Virginia. But I have access to private land at a really nice deer camp. But on Sundays, we all have to sit around camp and twiddle our thumbs because we can't hunt!!!! Explain that.... :crazy:

Slippy Field
January 22nd, 2007, 03:54 PM
can't say I'm surprised. All them blue states are historically conservative wusses :thumbs_do

Team Hoyt PA
January 22nd, 2007, 04:06 PM
what was so wrong with that statement?

"opening morning of gun season and anyone who parks there will have to take a breathilizer test"

Tell me what's NOT wrong with it

thunderatwork
January 22nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
earn a buck for illinois, good for any of the seasons. then eliminate the jan anything goes season. This would get the herd back in balance. Bring back check stations, maybe somehow staff with wardens? Maybe somehow this would cut down on the poached deer registered as bow kills.

shoot low
January 22nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
I think both gun and bow hunters should have to pass a accuracy test every couple years. Gun season should be shortened to a week at the most.
Poachers should have their balls cut off and have their foreheads tattoed to say "nutless poacher"

PMantle
January 22nd, 2007, 04:30 PM
2. WV allows to many Bucks to be taken. This year it was down to three (from 5 last year :mg: ) but in my opinion, thats not good enough. Go to two max. Our buck to doe ratio here is really screwed up! Add the fact that in several counties the doe season was closed or limited to one this year. We have more doe than buck here in WV, yet you could harvest 3 bucks and NO doe's in several areas...Now what type of deer management system is that! :confused:

4. WV needs some type of QDM system. I dont know the answer to this one to be honest, but we need something. Most people in this state use the unfortunate "If its brown, its down" statement when it comes to bucks. Spikes, buttons, tiny little forked 4's etc. etc. are blasted up year after year. Like every American I would love to harvest a true trophy buck...But that is not the only reason I hunt, I also happen to LOVE the meat, the thrill of ANY hunt etc. That said, I want to see bigger deer, older deer, more mature deer in both body mass, as well as antler size. Antler restrictions? Minimum spread? Something has to be done.

+1 for Louisiana. Those poor 1.5 year olds don't stand a chance here on public land. Heck, I would be fine with only some WMA's or NWR's having something in place to get some age on the bucks.

lawman882
January 22nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Going through the reg's you almost have to be a rocket scientist to decipher what you can hunt when and with what. I would simplfy it as follows. Deer regulations for the entire state would be reduced to two regs.

1) I would reduce the total number of deer allowed to be taken and
2) Make one Opening date and one Closing date for all whitetail deer (bucks and does). And maybe....just maybe extend it one month prior and one month after for bow only. It would look something like this:

DEER Season (either sex): Opens Nov 1 and closes Jan 15th for any whitetail deer taken by any legal means. An extended bow season opens Oct 1 and closes Feb 15th.

Bag Limit: Maybe a total bag limit of four whitetail deer. No more than 2 bucks and 2 does may be taken for the year.

KurtVL
January 22nd, 2007, 04:41 PM
Michigan:

1. Youth hunt is 2 week of september 1 week long, shoot any doe or 4 pt buck.

2. Archery starts Oct 1. ends Jan 1. 1 buck 4 pts or better and or 1 doe.

3. Rifle/shotgun/muzzleloader Thanksgiving till 2nd weekend in December, 1 buck 6 pts or better and or 1 doe.

4. special muzzleloader season cancelled, sorry

bowhunter9
January 22nd, 2007, 05:55 PM
wish Arkansas would cut rifle season down to a week, instead of a month in some areas.

dzingale
January 22nd, 2007, 06:45 PM
Change the age limit for both Archery and big game to 12.

mjbrady
January 22nd, 2007, 07:21 PM
Fair enough.

All and all, I think in Ohio our laws are pretty cool but I still don't want non-residents killing bucks.

Thank God you are not in charge!!!!! :p

Sparkkky
January 22nd, 2007, 07:31 PM
How much public land do you hunt on? If you are on private land where QDM is being practiced I am sure you would indifferent to any changes. You have to look at the state as a whole not just where you are hunting.

Slinger, I have hunted all of the public lands and have seen a few nice deer taken, I have hunted public and my familys land for the last 30Yrs. Still put in on and go on all hunts I can draw for and my favorite one is in your back yard.

findog
January 22nd, 2007, 07:39 PM
Illinois should be Earn a Buck during shotgun season. Oops! That may irritate someone. Who cares!:angry:

midway madness
January 22nd, 2007, 07:40 PM
In Illinois i would like to see the rule 1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset changed to 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 after sunset for shotgun season.And up the out of state tags to $500.00 ++!!!!:thumbs_up

lkmn
January 22nd, 2007, 07:40 PM
1. More than one whitetail doe tag in some regions! (especially the one I hunt)

2. Not hunt deer during rut with rifle!

3. Re- open archery deer season for 2 weeks after general rifle season so us archers have can hunt deer during peak rut, with out having to worry about who's out there with a gun.

4. Special draw deer permits to have a number set aside for archery only instead of having to put in with all rifle hunters!

I'm sure I can come up with more but that's a good start..

owl
January 22nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
1. During bow season, it is legal to hunt in camoflauge [U]unless[U]you are hunting bear, sheep, goats, moose. This can in many areas be done at the same time, so it is your intent that determines your dress, not safety, etc. Shoot a deer or elk in cammy, OK, shoot a bear in cammy, violation. This makes no sense to me.
2. Many riverbottom areas are overrun with whitetails, why not extend a few more doe tags/ extended season.
3. By restricting much of the season to bucks/bulls only, it seems that we are doing reverse qdm. Might be worth looking at.
4. Where possible the regulations need to be simplified/well defined.
5. It would be wonderful if it would be possible to have a legal trespass in pursuit of wounded game law.
6. It would be wonderful if block management information was made available a month or two earlier than it is to allow for planning/scouting.

gmherps
January 22nd, 2007, 07:59 PM
I'd make TX a longer bow only season. Open it the 1st Sat in Sept.

affe22
January 22nd, 2007, 08:43 PM
I too think gun season should be pushed back a few weeks here and would like to see muzzleloader season go to side hammer (not just flintlock) or exposed primer only.

JustOneMoreShot
January 22nd, 2007, 09:00 PM
Allow hunting on Sunday. Start with that. (I live in GA but my dad has 6 acres in VA)

BuckeyeRed
January 22nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
In Illinois the late season firearm season is a antlerless only season, What's wrong w/ that?? I think it's a great idea, it allows you to use up all your unused firearm tags on does. I don't know where yall from but we've got plenty of does to go around that could be harvested in NW Illinois. CWD is just across the border to WI and has already been found in Winnebago county and others as well, I have yet to see an emaciated deer in the area I hunt, and I'd like to keep it that way.

huntdrut
January 22nd, 2007, 09:21 PM
For PA:

I like the AR's, keep em
Add Sunday Hunting
Add a bear tag allowed to be in your pocket all of archery
Start Archery Season Sept 15
Allow Archery Hunting thru till Bear Season Starts appx Nov 20th
Start Rifle Season on Saturday after Thanksgiving, but limit it to (2) 3 day seasons, 1 week apart. 2 weeks straight of gun hunting is too much.
Change regs in some counties from rifle to shotgun only....or...increase the rifle safety zone to 300 yards. 150 yards is a joke.

Ok rifle hunters.........let me have it!!!

bowhuntnsteve
January 22nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
1st and formost, let a hunter have the choice if he/she wants to hunt on Sunday or not. Many people onlyhave the weekends off and so forth. You can fish or crow hunt, woodchucks, etc. but why not other big game and small game animals??

2nd, I think Kyle is a little harsh on NWPA, I have ZERO problem with animals and with the AR, the quality has gotten to be superior than what it was.

3rd. Being that I hunt the NY/PA line, I would love to see NY State go to an AR! What is hurting my area is the deer I pass or others in PA are getting mauled down on the other side of the line, so letting them go to grow isn't helping much even though I hunt both sides, I have some yahoos that must dream on every 1st morning of NY slug season, they are going to get that huge 3 pointer!!! But then ***** after the season is over they are not seeing quality bucks and they are only small bucks yet pass up filling their doe tag first. If you need the meat, so be it, knock'em down, but don't hand me the excuse that you are filling your tags when you pay $250 for a license & leave an unfilled doe tag. Go buy a side of beef, much cheaper....

4th. I wouldn't mind personally to change rifle season to slug gun only or inline muzzleloader. Something about a running animal at 400 yards just doesn't cut how sporting it is and ethical to the animal.

5th. I like to see the archery season extended like NY state and go right up until gun season so to have the ability to hunt the RUT! I'd rather have the season just like NY and start the 15th of Oct. then in September any day.

These are just my opinions which no one has to agree or disagree with but which we are all entitled too. Nor like the game commish will listen or head advice.

I would like to see goose season up'ed there limit during the 2nd season from 2 to 5 or even raise the resident season. We had in 1 area this year, 3 hatches of goslings!! 1 last December, then the normal spring hatch and the 3rd was this past late November before Thanksgiving! This is how mild our winter has become that it has these species of animals all out of whack.

ELKhuntR
January 22nd, 2007, 09:34 PM
not sure if this is great for our deer population. I'd have to get some more numbers. But in Oregon, in the Cascades, it would be nice to have more liberal doe hunting laws. In the fork rock unit where I normally hunt and deschutes, out of 9 years hunting there off and on since 1990, I've never been able to shoot a doe. It's always been buck only. There have been years where you could shoot a doe, but each time, for some reason or another I didn't hunt that season.

So, more liberal doe regulations if the population wouldn't be affected negatively.

Turkeyandbucks
January 22nd, 2007, 09:43 PM
I'd like New York to lower the hunting age for youths and open archery season the first weekend in September. Muzzleloader season should run until the end of December.:thumbs_up

DougKMN
January 22nd, 2007, 10:19 PM
Cut Archery season down to only 10 days, same as the Rifle season.

Stump pounder
January 23rd, 2007, 05:36 AM
not sure if this is great for our deer population. I'd have to get some more numbers. But in Oregon, in the Cascades, it would be nice to have more liberal doe hunting laws. In the fork rock unit where I normally hunt and deschutes, out of 9 years hunting there off and on since 1990, I've never been able to shoot a doe. It's always been buck only. There have been years where you could shoot a doe, but each time, for some reason or another I didn't hunt that season.

So, more liberal doe regulations if the population wouldn't be affected negatively.

Man I don't know if the herd could handle that They did that a lot in heppner and look at that . Hardly a good deer left

kevinsulikowski
January 23rd, 2007, 06:48 AM
In MA i would like to see antler restrictions which seems to be helping in other states. and less doe permits issued in the western part of the state till the herd comes up alittle and sunday hunting

Slippy Field
January 23rd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Thank God you are not in charge!!!!! :p

Its just a matter of time my friend..........:cool:

Josh Michaelis
January 23rd, 2007, 10:15 AM
Move rifle season to december

hardybowhunter
January 23rd, 2007, 10:33 AM
WVhunter1975, I am glad to see that someone else in WV thinks like me. I agree our bow season is to short. I am constantly being told by rifle hunters it is to long, but compared to other states it is short. Oct. 1st sounds like a graet opener to me. I agree with the idea of having muzzleloader season before rifle season, and then shorten the rifle season. Antler restrictions would be great, but getting people to follow it would be tough. Yes, that if its brown its down thing is how people think here. I am guilty too. I like to kill big bucks, but I also need to put meat in the freezer. I couldn't agree more that the law enforcement needs to crack down on those hunting outside the rules. I had my bow season ruined this year by people hunting with small caliber rifles during bow season!!! I had a big 8pt and a huge 10pt in my hunting area, but both were taken with rifle by the end of Oct. Something needs to be done! The leagal bowhunter doesn't stand a chance. Again it is good to hear from another WV hunter with the same views as me.

KOZMAN4907
January 23rd, 2007, 11:17 AM
SUNDAY HUNTING
-Koz

sbooy42
January 23rd, 2007, 11:19 AM
I'd like to see MI. go to a one buck rule with a six or better restriction. Also I would like to see our gun season moved back to the end of nov. MI. has great trophy potential , the problem is we have the most hunter's therefor our deer are extremely pressured. Not to mention we have to many brown it's down hunter mentality. It's doubtful we will ever see these changes..

I could not agree with you more. I live in northern Michigan and seems like everyone is a brown its down hunter. I would like to see Michigan change to a eight or four on a side rule. I could not believe all the small bucks taken this year. This is the first year that I changed my own standards to eight or bigger. I also hunt downstate and about 90% of the hunters I know use the unwritten eight or bigger. And I have seen a increase in quality bucks over the last few years. There is also the issue of license fees increasing. I am all for an increase plus regulating the size. I think it will keep a few of the "brown its down, lets go out and shoot something" hunters <- (used lightly) out of the woods. Or Michigan could increase the fee to like $40.00 for a regular eight or larger tag. And then if your a brown its down guy can buy tag for $100.00 to take any size buck.

I believe Michigan has great trophy potential, they just need to grow up.

KurtVL
January 23rd, 2007, 11:31 AM

cancel all gun seasons, its just to easy

I can throw out ******ed opinions too

danimal7802
January 23rd, 2007, 11:34 AM

kind of what i was thinking:D

sbooy42
January 23rd, 2007, 11:42 AM
Let's face it, license fee's are a HUGE cash cow in Michigan. As bad as I want to see the regulation change to one buck, it never will. They are already planning on increasing the cost of a resident combo tag to $75 for 07. I'm not good at math, but if you take into consideration the 2.7 million (approximately) hunters that take to the woods each year, and multiply that by $75.....wow that's a lot of money!!!

Personally, I would like to see the DNR flirt with the idea of earn a buck for a few years. After harvesting your doe, you get one buck tag. It sure would make true "trophy" hunters become a lot more selective in what they harvest. Granted, people are still going to poach and not play by the rules, but I think it would help alleviate the problem of all the year and half old bucks being killed. Just my opinion.

Definitely mis-managed....$75.00 for combo that's great. I think both tags should be regulated 8pt/a doe or 2x 8pts during archery or firearm... If the state wants more $$$$ give hunters the option of $150.00 for a tag to include any size buck& a doe during archery or firearm. Same concept for firearm only tag.

Redddave
January 23rd, 2007, 11:57 AM
I would like to see Minnesota, have a doe only archer season that starts on January 1 and runs that entire month.

I would also like to see the baiting laws changed to. NO FEEDING DEER. Then I would like to see the enforcement on this increase.

drahthaar
January 23rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
For MT,

1. Make basic trail cams legal to have in the woods during season.

2. Drop this ludacris youth hunt for cow elk. It has to be the most abused regulation in the whole book. Daddy dragging his 12 y.o. daugher around the woods carrying the rifle. MMMMHHHMMMM.

horseman308
January 23rd, 2007, 12:57 PM
I would like to see MI change it's tagging situation. I grew up in TN where you bought one license per weapon (bow, muzzleloader, or gun) that would allow you to take your limit. If you were of a mind to only use one weapon you didn't have to buy different tags, and you didn't have to worry about whether you got a private land tag or public land tag. None of this buying a separate tag for each deer. Instead, you had to actually take each deer to a checking station and check it in. It seems to allow for a more accurate track of how many deer are killed each year as opposed to estimating based on number of tags sold. That way I could kill my buck and X number of does without worrying about whether I spent money on a tag I never used.

Alternatively, I'd like to see something like a lifetime sportsman's license, where for one large fee, you were done paying for tags and simply could show up and receive your year's allotment each year.

thunderatwork
January 23rd, 2007, 01:15 PM
where i'm at in illinois its wide open,anything goes for a late firearm season,does bucks, and shed bucks. shoot one and they give you another tag. Muzzleloader, shotgun, bow, pistol, its doesn't matter. It would be good if somehow this season was done away with.

WVhunter1975
January 23rd, 2007, 01:44 PM
hardybowhunter:
Its also nice to know that there are more hunter's here in WV who think like myself. What area in WV do you hunt? Braxton/Gilmer Co. here.

About the antler restrictions etc. Again, I dont know if that would be the answer to getting larger deer (both antler and body mass) in the state, but it should be looked into by the WVDNR in my opinion. Like you, I also harvest deer because I want them for the freezer...But, I only harvest doe for that purpose. However, this year in Braxton Co. the doe season was closed, yet I could shoot at least three bucks :confused: . In Gilmer Co. I was able to harvest one doe, which is all we were allowed, yet again, I could harvest three bucks :confused: . Not very good deer management if you ask me.

This past season I past on several spikes, buttons, forks, and two very small 6's this year. No reason to shoot them when there are four times that many doe's walking around, not to mention that several of these doe are larger in body mass than any of the spikes, buttons, forked fours and small 6's. We couldnt shoot more than one of them, which totally confuses me.

As for the law becoming more strict. People around here are lazy IMHO. VERY LAZY. I either stalk hunt or hunt by treestand which many would agree takes a lot of patience. The people who hunt off of ATV's or hunt with rifles during bow season or muzzleloader season should be punished...BIG TIME. Here is a little story of a hunt I had this year: I was in my tree stand at 6:15am, watched 7 different doe, a button, and two spikes all wander around me at various times until around 1pm. At 1:05pm I had two doe and one spike walk in to my stand around 10 yards out. I passed on the spike as well as the does (since I had already harvested my ONE doe for the year). But I was truly enjoying just watching them. Learning more if you will. At 2:00 an ATV comes riding up near my stand. One "hunter" driving, the other "hunter" sitting on the back with his bow ready to take a shot. The deer ran about 50 yards to the left of me. The two hunters stopped their ATV 30 yards directly in front of me (they saw the deer). I then yeld three times at them to get their attention. Startled to see someone in a tree stand so close to them, they turned the four wheeler off and actually asked "what were they?" I in turn told them that there were two doe and a spike. Then one of them said, "I'll kill a spike". I then replied back, not on my property, do you guys even know where you are? Then I informed them that they were not even on their leased land, but that they were on a 1000 acre spread of family property, and that hunting from their ATV was illegal. They said nothing other than, "Oh, sorry". Then they just got on there ATV and headed back the way they came. Pissed me off!:mad: BIG TIME. I was not going to harvest any of those deer that day, but what if it were a large buck or what if I had not tagged out for doe season yet? Not only were they hunting illegally, they would have totally ruined my hunt! Jerks. WV has got to get tough on these type of people.

This is why I have always said that there are hunters, and there are killers. Big difference.

I ranted again LOL

alwayslookin
January 23rd, 2007, 01:55 PM
Lower the legal age to hunt to 12 (supervised)

Change the gun season to 9 days.....Sat before Thanksgiving to the Sun after....That would give most people 2 weekends, a Holiday and the day after a holiday to hunt. Also roughly 75 percent of the bucks are killed opening weekend and Thanksgiving anyway.....that is when the most people hunt.

ONE Buck.

Mandatory.....with some teeth......tag reporting.

HUNTERWV
January 23rd, 2007, 02:44 PM
In WV:
#1 Limit the number of bucks to 1 or 2
#2 Have some type of AR's, may it be NO spikes or 3 pts on a side.
Something in that range.
#3 Sunday hunting on private land. (I DON'T expect this anytime soon)
#4 Have a call in system for checking in your deer or turkey. Other states
are going to this, why can't we.
#5 More law enforcement, increase fees if needed to accomplish this.
#6 Micro manage the antlerless deer harvest more. Encourage more
harvest in certain areas.

AJ008
January 23rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
Montana-Make archery tackle legal for bison

T-Bone80
January 23rd, 2007, 03:07 PM
In Illinois the late season firearm season is a antlerless only season, What's wrong w/ that?? I think it's a great idea, it allows you to use up all your unused firearm tags on does. I don't know where yall from but we've got plenty of does to go around that could be harvested in NW Illinois. CWD is just across the border to WI and has already been found in Winnebago county and others as well, I have yet to see an emaciated deer in the area I hunt, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I agree with ya 100%. late winter is a good tool for managing the doe population. As far as the one guy saying to make shotgun season a month long, that is ridiculous. I like to gun hunt myself, but if we had that much gun season we would be in the same boat indiana is in with their 32 days of gun season. fewer big bucks. I like the firearm seasons just the way they are right now.

One thing I would like to see changed is spring turkey hunting in Illinois. I would like for there to be one season instead of it busted up into 5 different ones that way you have a better chance to fill your tag. I think it is ridiculous to pay for a tag that is only good for 5 to 7 days. They can keep the same bag limit, but just make tags good for the whole season.

BuckeyeRed
January 23rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
where i'm at in illinois its wide open,anything goes for a late firearm season,does bucks, and shed bucks. shoot one and they give you another tag. Muzzleloader, shotgun, bow, pistol, its doesn't matter. It would be good if somehow this season was done away with.

I don't know where you're getting this info, but according to the Illinois Late-Winter Firearm Deer Hunting Regulations is specifically states on the headline of the form "Antlerless-Only". You can only use UNUSED TAGS you cannot continue to buy tags as you can w/ archery tags. The CWD season and the CWD season only is when you can shoot an antlered deer (you must have an unused either-sex tag to do so), and the CWD either sex or antlerless-only seaon is only valid and open in the following open counties: Boone, McHenry, DeKalb, Ogle, and Winnebago. Unfilled firearm tags are only valid in the counties that they are issued to. Those counties listed contribute to a very small % of the total Illinois deer harvest and have little affect on the overall herd at all. The CWD season was the same time as the late season, Jan. 12-14 of 07, but you can only use a firearm for a firearm tag, not along w/ unused archery tags. Plus the amt of hunters who participate in the late season is very few. Most all firearm only hunters in Illinois only hunt the 1st season of the firearm season, less than 1/2 of those hunters will hunt in 2nd season, and probably less than 1/4 of those hunters participate in the late season hunts.

Point is that Archery hunters as a whole feel that they are supperior and should have rights over firearm only hunters, that is crap. We get 93 days, they get 10. I think we got the upperhand.

thunderatwork
January 23rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
Buckeye< yes I am in CWD area, and you are only one county from being there yourself, as they have it in grant county wis. now. And yes i had an unused either sex tag as did several of my hunting neighbors. It was a wild weekend. Brown and down type shooting. way more than 1/4 of the normal hunters in my area were out in force with lots of shells. And once you shot something they gave you, yes gave free, another tag and said go get another. If you did not have a either sex tag you got one after you registered your first doe. the effect on the herd of having shed horn bucks shot and another round of button bucks shot will take years to recover. Yes we could use archery tags also, however we would have to use a bow to use them. I finished with three valid tags in my pocket, Only because i didn't want any more meat. In the neighborhood I hunt 16 hunters hunted the late season compared to 20 hunting during regular gun season. The overall herd in Illinois wasn't affected that much, however the herd in this area was affected a great deal.

thunderatwork
January 23rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
I forgot, the two buck max buck rule was waived for this slaughter

BuckeyeRed
January 23rd, 2007, 05:55 PM
I forgot, the two buck max buck rule was waived for this slaughter

In CWD areas only correct, all I did was quote exactly what it said on the regulation forms. What else can I say?.....:zip:

ButchA
January 23rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
SUNDAY HUNTING
-Koz

:hail:

Virginia just had two Sunday hunting House Bills (HB1639 and HB2303) get killed in the General Assembly. :rant: :mmph:

Man, I feel like giving up with hunting in Virginia and go out of state!!!!

Butch A.

Back 40 Tree Rat
January 23rd, 2007, 08:19 PM
1 buck limit and 2 over the counter doe tags.

VTbowaddict
January 23rd, 2007, 09:00 PM
Vermont issues doe permits as they see fit per wmu. These are to be used during our muzzleloading season, the first week in December. At this point we are shooting pregnant does. Why not move the season to the First week in November, to reduce the chance of taking a doe that could produce a buck the following spring. Antler restriction is working! Don't reverse this.

Big DV
January 23rd, 2007, 09:04 PM
SUNDAY HUNTING
-Koz
In maryland

DougKMN
January 23rd, 2007, 09:10 PM

Kind of funny how you (meaning a good number of people here, not singling anyone out) are quick to impose more restrictions and/or shorter seasons for non-archery......yet cry foul whenever someone mentions an unfavorable change against archery.

Numerous people have suggested moving rifle season out of the rut, yet don't say anything as to why they want this. I've seen "Bucks are too vulnerable" mentioned.....but this begs the question, if they are too vulnerable for gun hunters, why aren't they too vulnerable for archers?

So, I think its only fair that if you want guns out of the woods during the rut, bows can't go in either.

bowtech4
January 23rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
:hail:

Virginia just had two Sunday hunting House Bills (HB1639 and HB2303) get killed in the General Assembly. :rant: :mmph:

Man, I feel like giving up with hunting in Virginia and go out of state!!!!

Butch A.

Just outta curiousity... why don't they allow Sunday hunting? That's when I usually go out.

jre4192
January 23rd, 2007, 09:32 PM
I think ohio should start with the earn a buck program. Also take out that stupid second shotgun season.

I agree. I doubt it will happen with only one week of gun season. :(

ButchA
January 23rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
Just outta curiousity... why don't they allow Sunday hunting? That's when I usually go out.

It's an old colonial "blue law" dating back to 1870. You know.... you're supposed to be in a church pew and not up in a tree stand on a Sunday. :confused:

Butch A.

ozarkmtnhunter
January 23rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
I would like to move early muzzleloader deer / bear and gun deer / bear season to december and shorten the gun season to one week. Make the gun tag one deer either sex. Right now I dont hardly get to bowhunt the rut in my state. It is just one gun season after another starting in mid october.

VorTexan
January 23rd, 2007, 11:21 PM
Gun season start later maybe one week. Doe days not limited to first two weeks of the season. Keep AR.

deerslayer87
January 24th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Here in Cali i would like to see all deer hunting shut down for a few years..The buck to doe ratio is out of control..We are lucky to see a single buck during the general season, in some parts of the state. I would aslo like to see a certain amount of doe tags issued, since we have no doe hunts. I would also like for it to be legal to shoot the damn mountain lions..They are destoying our deer herd..California is all messed up!!!

labrat
January 24th, 2007, 10:49 AM
In Illinois i would like to see the rule 1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset changed to 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 after sunset for shotgun season.And up the out of state tags to $500.00 ++!!!!:thumbs_up

call your reps and at least part of that could happen. just proposed 1-19-07.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=320&GAID=9&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=27085&SessionID=51&GA=95

as for me: i would like spring turkey season made into one season as well. its kind of hard for those of us who work a regular job to hunt more than a couple days at the most with a 5-7 day season without taking off of work.

hardybowhunter
January 24th, 2007, 02:32 PM
WV hunter1975: I live in Tucker County. I hunt both Tucker and Randolph. The buck to doe ratio is screwed up here also. In Tucker Co. we have had no doe seaseon the past two years, but if you bought all the additional stamps you could kill 4 bucks. Makes no sence to me. I guess it a money making thing with the additional stamps. Yes your right I should fill the freezer with does. I usually start the season by taking the first buck I get a chance at then hunt big bucks during the rut, and then hunt does in December. I tell you what happened to me in the 05 season. I took a small buck the first week of the season. Then in early November I am sitting in my treestand and a spike walks right through my shooting lane. Well, I passed on him waiting on a big buck. The spike continues over into the next hollow and I hear a 22 mag. crack. I heard the deer run a short distance and then crash. Everyone thinks its ok to make up thier own rules. The DNR defently needs to crack down on these people. Rifle season doesn't start in Oct. or earlier.

harleyrider
January 25th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Compared to the baloney a lot of you folks have to put up with in your states, I feel pretty fortunate hunting here in Indiana. However since this is a wish list here are some changes in the Indiana Hunting Regs. that I think would be interesting:

1) Combine the current 16-day muzzleloader season and the 16-day firearms season into an overall shorter split season similar to Illinois. By this I mean have a 4 to 7 day all-gun season sometime in November and another 4 to 7 day all-gun season in December. That way you get 8-14 days of gun hunting spread over a couple of months instead of the current 32-day barrage. (By the way, I'm also a gun hunter so I'm not just peeing on the other guys.)

2) I'd like to see the urban deer zones expanded a bit to include more of the surrounding counties.

3) Continue the 1-buck rule.

4) Extend the late bow season until the end of January.

I also would not allow rifle hunting for deer (as I heard rumors that this was being proposed). My feeling is if you are having difficulty killing a deer with a modern shotgun or muzzleloader, then gun-hunting is probably not for you.

Anyway, there's my wish list. Oh also, as long as I'm wishing, I would like to be able to buy carry-out beer here in IN on Sundays :darkbeer:!

HR

WVhunter1975
January 25th, 2007, 01:44 PM
West Virginia's hunting Regs are screwed up....BIG TIME! Who thinks there regs are messed up even more so in their home state?

DSparx
January 27th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I think NC should:
1. Establish a 2 or 3 buck limit, at least for a couple of years. Give everybody a buck and a doe tag at first, and in order to get your second buck tag, you'd have to use your doe tag, and repeat for a 3 buck limit. Right now, we can kill 4 bucks a season. It's taking a toll on the young deer.

2. I don't think I'd do it, but I think folks should have the choice to hunt on Sundays if they want to. My feelings won't be hurt if they don't repeal the ban, but I still think it should be an option.

3. We need more officers to enforce the laws. That's one of the reasons, among many, that is given for no hunting on Sunday. We don't have the officers to enforce the laws on Monday thru Saturday.

4. Bowhunters should be able to hunt during muzzleloading season. That one never made any sense to me.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of now.

holepuncher
January 27th, 2007, 01:35 PM
#1. Make season's the same in length for all counties/ now they have it divided by a North/ South Line.
#2. NO MORE BAITING! I do it because if I didn't the the hunter's on the property around me would draw all the deer. If they would make it illegal then everyone would be on the same footing so to speak.

Big Country
January 27th, 2007, 02:00 PM
can't say I'm surprised. All them blue states are historically conservative wusses :thumbs_do

You mean "liberal", right Slippy.;)

solohunter
January 27th, 2007, 03:27 PM
extend late archery until Feb.
solohunter

My2Sons
January 27th, 2007, 03:47 PM
In WI, party hunting (tag sharing) is legal for gun, but not bow. I don't care for the inconsistency or perceived snub. Most of our laws are geared toward herd management and NOT logic or popular opinion. Just check out how CWD was handled. Also, bow season is through the end of Jan. in a small, mostly privately owned portion of the state and a month earlier everywhere else. Again, inconsistent.

DoeSlayer75
January 31st, 2007, 08:16 PM
I would make it legal to blood trail with a dog. I would have no problem licensing the hound for that task.

leon j chartier
January 31st, 2007, 08:56 PM
I would love to see MA let us hunt on sundays and have a antler restriction.
There are a lot of small bucks shot around here.

dogg3250
January 31st, 2007, 09:17 PM
I would like to see Wis have an earn a buck state wide for all season's, institute 6 point minimum for all buck's, ban baiting and feeding. give incentives to land owners to open there land to hunters. stop the current doe only 4 day hunt the last weekend in October.

Cooter144
January 31st, 2007, 11:51 PM

There was an available 24 days of rifle hunting and 16 days of muzzleloading in MN for 2006. Thats a total of 40 days of gun hunting and I know people that are out every one of those weekends.

elkkat
February 1st, 2007, 01:23 AM
I would like to see more $$ and effort put into stopping poachers. Mt. is a huge state and impossible to cover with the small amount of officers we have. I think efficiency in that dept. could be improved as well, one Idea I have brought up is to increase cell towers in hunting areas to make it easier for citizens to report violations.

BradMc26
February 1st, 2007, 06:49 AM
In SC:

1) I would make all the Rules and Regs under the control of the DNR. The upper part of our state is set by the DNR, the lower by the Legislature. I think it sends a mixed message and I have a problem when you let politicians manage wildlife and not biologist.

2) Start the season later. Again the lower part of the state starts on Aug 15 on private land. But statewide it ends Jan.1. I would like to see the season pushed into end of January.

3) A bag and antler limit placed on ALL bucks in this state. This has been discussed but came with some fierce resistance from the driving and dog clubs. Some of the reasons they said were pretty funny and scary as to why they didnt want any kind of limit. In SC a buck is lucky to make it to 3-4 years of age. I think if they did this in a few years the quality of our bucks would sky rocket.

BingoFlyer
February 1st, 2007, 09:56 AM
I would like to see Michigan pass a Earn a Buck rule, making a mandatory check in of the doe before being able to shoot a buck. This would not apply to the second buck.

Eleminate the 4pts on a side for one of the two bucks MI allows and just make it 3pts on a side for all bucks.

Mandatory check in of all deer killed. This would help i getting a good count of deer killed rather than the guesstiment method now used by the DNR and hopefully make for better herd management.

Leave the season as it is but increase the tag fees for bucks to cover the mandatory checks and add COs to the field and leave the doe tags as are.

Offer a Lifetime License.

Lower Senior license fees.
(I winter in FL and understand that their seniors get free hunting/fishing licenses).

Allow children ages 12-14 to hunt free, with a parent or guardian. Hppefully this would help bring back hunting to what it was.

porkchopsandwic
February 1st, 2007, 11:41 AM
I'd like to see more "urban" hunting allowed in some places around St. Louis and St. Charles Counties.

PhilFree
September 8th, 2007, 11:26 AM
In Nebraska it is illegal to carry a handgun while bow hunting.
If your out doing anything else and dont have a bow with you, no problem.
Even with a Concealed Carry license its a no-go.

I think there is opportunity for temporary use of a cross-bow.
My brother in law/Primary hunting partner is a 15year fireman who injured his shoulder retrieving an 11 year old girl from a house fire.
He achieved the highest honor from the department and state of Nebraska.
However, he was unable to draw a bow last season.
It was very sad that he was unable to hunt.
He could have safely operated a crossbow and blind hunted.

Other than that I haven't discovered any thing that hinders my experience in the woods.

Rothhar1
September 8th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Compared to the baloney a lot of you folks have to put up with in your states, I feel pretty fortunate hunting here in Indiana. However since this is a wish list here are some changes in the Indiana Hunting Regs. that I think would be interesting:

1) Combine the current 16-day muzzleloader season and the 16-day firearms season into an overall shorter split season similar to Illinois. By this I mean have a 4 to 7 day all-gun season sometime in November and another 4 to 7 day all-gun season in December. That way you get 8-14 days of gun hunting spread over a couple of months instead of the current 32-day barrage. (By the way, I'm also a gun hunter so I'm not just peeing on the other guys.)

2) I'd like to see the urban deer zones expanded a bit to include more of the surrounding counties.

I also would not allow rifle hunting for deer (as I heard rumors that this was being proposed). My feeling is if you are having difficulty killing a deer with a modern shotgun or muzzleloader, then gun-hunting is probably not for you.

Anyway, there's my wish list. Oh also, as long as I'm wishing, I would like to be able to buy carry-out beer here in IN on Sundays :darkbeer:!

HR

I live in Indiana also First of all the rifle huntinf you are talking about are small straight wall pistol cartridges . IE >less or equil balistics as modern shotguns and muzzle loaders .357 mag,44 mag ,41 mag stuff like that.it just makes sense.As for 1 buck it never did do what it was supposed to do.The first 3 years buck harvests were at a all time high with 1/4-1/3 less hunters these nubers are on the DNR web sight if you would like to check it out.Archery season comes in too early as it is needs to be moved back to the earliest OCT 15 .As for late season extension no way we are running a bit to long now have seen 2 bucks shot with no antlers in early Jan. Should end Dec 31 up here at the latest!I do agree about shortening GUN Indiana takes the biggest portion of Deer the first 2 weekends of gun.Make 3 -3 day seasons 1st 3 day gun only.2nd -3 day any legal wepon and 3rd -3 day muzzle loader that would do wonders for the herd management!Also Give back The second buck tag!

MARTIN BOBCAT
September 8th, 2007, 03:24 PM
here in PA i'd like to see the following....

1. start archery the 2nd saturday in sept.
2. end archery the saturday before thanksgiving.
3. allow sunday hunting (no hunting on sunday is the biggest joke going)
4. do away with the early muzzleloader doe eason. (2nd biggest joke going)
5. do away with the early youth doe rifle hunt (we didn't have it when i started hunting, why do we need one now? it's just another thing to interrupt the archers)
6. instate a mandatory hunter's safety refresher coarse for hunters that reach55 years of age. (i see alot of old timers walking around with plaid red jackets on instead of flo. orange) (the same can be said for driver's licenses also)
7. i'd like to see the way we have to apply for a doe license to change. it's a little rediculous and confusing the way it is now.

3dvapor
September 8th, 2007, 03:51 PM
id like to see oregon put more emphasis on higher bull to cow ratios. like arizona with 30-55 bulls per cow. healthier herds older age class bulls. same with deer tags. this state with its habitat could be number 1.

Dor
September 8th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Push gun season back to at least the 2nd weekend. Eliminate one week of Mzl season, or make it black powder only...no in-lines. Extend Archery season 1 week.

Add a walk in program?

posco
September 8th, 2007, 04:18 PM
My own personal bag limit would be a good start. Revise what O'Dark-Thirty really means. All lands open to me would be cool. No closed season on anything. Mandatory minimums for guys hanging their stands too close to mine...same thousand acre parcel.

aztrophytaker
September 8th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I would slash the rifle tags by 2/3rds and grow some mature deer in areas that haven't seen 'em in years.

ronnie
September 8th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Do away with gun season.

gird04
September 8th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I would move the rifle season out of the Rut,then for the rifle season later in the year MID- Decem, or late doesnt matter but make the hunter earn the Buck tag!

Bow hunting the rut would be awesome the people that live in Iowa are very lucky, and i am only 5 miles from the line!

The 4 point reg, was a move in the right direction but we also dont have check stations now, and i have personally seen peole that will shoot a deer and not know what they have shot and will just leave the deer lie. Really can piss a man off.

Rothhar1
September 8th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Point restrictions DO NOT WORK PERIOD! all that happens is good young multi point deer die instead of a young spike or fork no diffrent .Wish the DNR would hire real deer managers with Real degrees in Whtetail biology and current managment techniques and only allow them and a voted in commision of hunters make all deer hunting rules and keep politicans and special intrest groups out of the decision making process.In turn getting rid of witch doctor vodo management hypernostalgic Elmer Fudds and money driven politicly motivated policy!That would be the set up for every animal type IE >rabbit> bird >elk>Each type of spicies its own biologist and commitie that way the experts would make the calls. That would be the most refreshing rule change of all that could possibly happen!

hooks
September 8th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Point restrictions DO NOT WORK PERIOD! all that happens is good young multi point deer die instead of a young spike or fork no diffrent .Wish the DNR would hire real deer managers with Real degrees in Whtetail biology and current managment techniques and only allow them and a voted in commision of hunters make all deer hunting rules and keep politicans and special intrest groups out of the decision making process.In turn getting rid of witch doctor vodo management hypernostalgic Elmer Fudds and money driven politicly motivated policy!That would be the set up for every animal type IE >rabbit> bird >elk>Each type of spicies its own biologist and commitie that way the experts would make the calls. That would be the most refreshing rule change of all that could possibly happen!

AMEN,AMEN:darkbeer:

harleyrider
September 8th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I live in Indiana also First of all the rifle huntinf you are talking about are small straight wall pistol cartridges . IE >less or equil balistics as modern shotguns and muzzle loaders .357 mag,44 mag ,41 mag stuff like that.it just makes sense. Thanks for the update on this. Back when I posted this, I didn't have the details, just rumors.

Archery season comes in too early as it is needs to be moved back to the earliest OCT 15 . What would be the reason for this?

As for late season extension no way we are running a bit to long now have seen 2 bucks shot with no antlers in early Jan. Should end Dec 31 up here at the latest! An anomoly? I've seen a few half-racks in early Jan. but my experience has been that bucks generally drop their antlers a bit later (Feb.). I am (maybe a bit selfishly) just looking for more archery opportunities and I feel an extension of the season would allow for some good cold-weather hunting for deer when they have had a little more time to recover from the combined month-long firearms season.

Good Hunting!:darkbeer:

HR

NitroJunkie
September 8th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Let us frickin hunt Sundays already!!! Geez

harleyrider
September 8th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Let us frickin hunt Sundays already!!! GeezYeah, when I lived in Frederick (Braddock Heights 89-99) I also thought that was bogus. On the public land I hunted, it just concentrated the number of hunters on any given Saturday. It was especially frustrating for folks like me who are generally able to hunt weekends only.

Parker, is Frederick Brewing Co. still cranking? I loved the Blue Ridge Porter!

HR

Rothhar1
September 8th, 2007, 07:36 PM
[/I]

Good Hunting!:darkbeer:

HR

Hi harley Well You would think the earlier start would be an advantage however I am not sure if you would know or remember when Archery season began on the second Saterday of Oct.!? But here is the most compelling reasoning The bucks have began trail marking in earnest Such as scrapes and rub lines are all but detailing the exact trails to hunt. As well the bug population has all but been destroyed by heavy frost! Usaly harvest of corn and beans are 60-70% compleat here in our state at that time .The deer movement is way higher with the day time temps down in the low 60s as an average. IE>Big bucks don'T like the heat as most of them are attempting to Build fat reserves and get overheated easly and will stay down late in temps above 65. As for anter shed The more run down a buck becomes the earlier they shed also injuries will cause it like a sever fighting wound or hunting wound.Actualy it is not uncommon to see or take shed bucks after Dec.And we know mature bucks get worn down first! Good luck!

DougKMN
September 8th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Do away with gun season.

And what would the benefit of this be beyond not only making the deer population nearly impossible to manage, but also prove just how greedy you are. No true sportsman would EVER advocate punishing his fellow sportsmen for their choice of tools.

I would slash the rifle tags by 2/3rds and grow some mature deer in areas that haven't seen 'em in years.

Why not slash Archery tags too? If too many deer are being harvested, its only fair......

Push gun season back to at least the 2nd weekend. Eliminate one week of Mzl season, or make it black powder only...no in-lines. Extend Archery season 1 week.

Add a walk in program?

So....you want to shorten one season, but extend another??? If there is too much hunting going on, wouldn't it be more prudent to shorten all the seasons? Oh, I suppose this is yet another example of GREED. Can't have more people in "YOUR" woods shooting "YOUR" deer......

here in PA i'd like to see the following....

1. start archery the 2nd saturday in sept.
2. end archery the saturday before thanksgiving.
3. allow sunday hunting (no hunting on sunday is the biggest joke going)
4. do away with the early muzzleloader doe eason. (2nd biggest joke going)
5. [/b]do away with the early youth doe rifle hunt[/b] (we didn't have it when i started hunting, why do we need one now? it's just another thing to interrupt the archers)
6. instate a mandatory hunter's safety refresher coarse for hunters that reach55 years of age. (i see alot of old timers walking around with plaid red jackets on instead of flo. orange) (the same can be said for driver's licenses also)
7. i'd like to see the way we have to apply for a doe license to change. it's a little rediculous and confusing the way it is now.

So....you would rather not allow those that hold the key to the future of hunting to have an opportunity to engage in the sport because you are too greedy to share the woods??

I would move the rifle season out of the Rut,then for the rifle season later in the year MID- Decem, or late doesnt matter but make the hunter earn the Buck tag!

Bow hunting the rut would be awesome the people that live in Iowa are very lucky, and i am only 5 miles from the line!

The 4 point reg, was a move in the right direction but we also dont have check stations now, and i have personally seen peole that will shoot a deer and not know what they have shot and will just leave the deer lie. Really can piss a man off.

At least you're honest, you just want people out of "YOUR" woods shooting "YOUR" deer....

HR

I have to say it is truly sickening how many "sportsmen" out there are overly willing to throw their fellows under the bus. More than anything, this is the BIGGEST threat to the future of our way of life.

There is no difference between a bow hunter, a rifle hunter, a shotgun hunter, a muzzleloader hunter, a crossbow hunter, etc. They all use the very same weapon to accomplish the very same goal. The tools they opt to use as well as the tactics they employ may vary, but there is no differentiation beyond that.

HNTR2506
September 8th, 2007, 08:46 PM
In maryland I would like for the to add sunday hunting in all counties and let the archery season run through the gun seasons.

as it is now, you cant archery hunt during muzzleloader or shotgun season. which makes no sense to me.
Uh yes you can.You can bowhunt continuosly from Sept 15th until Jan 31 with the bow.Now you have to follow the regs for the season your in but you can always bowhunt.

Rabbit
September 8th, 2007, 09:03 PM
1) Archery Season - Oct. 1st - Nov. 25th...What ever weapon thaey want
after that...muzzle loader, centerfire
2) Season ends Feb 28th instead of first week in Jan.
3) Bag Limit Changes - 2nd Buck 4 points on one side and 14" spread state
STATE WIDE.

letemgrow
September 8th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Move the (censored) gun season out of the rut and only allow one buck per year per person with any and all weapons until the herd gets more balanced.

harleyrider
September 9th, 2007, 01:28 AM
I have to say it is truly sickening how many "sportsmen" out there are overly willing to throw their fellows under the bus. More than anything, this is the BIGGEST threat to the future of our way of life.

There is no difference between a bow hunter, a rifle hunter, a shotgun hunter, a muzzleloader hunter, a crossbow hunter, etc. They all use the very same weapon to accomplish the very same goal. The tools they opt to use as well as the tactics they employ may vary, but there is no differentiation beyond that.Doug, I think what you are terming "greed" is actually individual passion for one form of hunting over another. AT is an archery site, so many here are passionate about archery. Log onto a firearms hunting website and you'll likely get a different view.

I believe it's human nature for hunters to want to maximize the amount of opportunities they have to pursue their favorite method. That does not mean they necessarily want to eliminate other methods (Those that have stated that they would flatly abolish gun seasons probably haven't thought their positions out fully, with all the ramifications). But adjusting season start/end dates, bag limits, legally allowed weapons, etc. to fall in line with deer herd conditions, changing geography, and even popular demand shouldn't be viewed as "throwing fellow sportsmen under the bus". I think it just reflects the audience at hand.

Good Hunting! :darkbeer:

HR

DougKMN
September 9th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Doug, I think what you are terming "greed" is actually individual passion for one form of hunting over another. AT is an archery site, so many here are passionate about archery. Log onto a firearms hunting website and you'll likely get a different view.

I believe it's human nature for hunters to want to maximize the amount of opportunities they have to pursue their favorite method. That does not mean they necessarily want to eliminate other methods (Those that have stated that they would flatly abolish gun seasons probably haven't thought their positions out fully, with all the ramifications). But adjusting season start/end dates, bag limits, legally allowed weapons, etc. to fall in line with deer herd conditions, changing geography, and even popular demand shouldn't be viewed as "throwing fellow sportsmen under the bus". I think it just reflects the audience at hand.

Good Hunting! :darkbeer:

HR

One thing that I have never witnessed is a gun hunter wishing to gain more opportunities for themselves while minimizing and/or eliminating opportunities for others. I have NEVER seen a thread in a gun hunting forum or similar social circle where they say "We need to get the bow hunters out of the rut" or something similar. Not once have I seen a gun hunter calling for gun-only hunting areas and/or seasons. I guess that says something about the caliber of people partaking in the sport.

grnxlt
September 9th, 2007, 04:27 AM
"no sunday hunting" must go.......sundays are about the only free time people can hunt anymore. i get my oldest son every other weekend,i have no time on saturdays to hunt with him

gareed13
September 9th, 2007, 09:05 AM
4 pt on one side antler restriction state wide, only be able to shoot one buck a year, and move the rifle season out of the rut and into December!!!!!!!!

Dor
September 10th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Dor

Add a walk in program?

Posted by DougK
So....you want to shorten one season, but extend another??? If there is too much hunting going on, wouldn't it be more prudent to shorten all the seasons? Oh, I suppose this is yet another example of GREED. Can't have more people in "YOUR" woods shooting "YOUR" deer......

DougK-
I don't know if you realize it but you come across extremely abrasive on almost every one of your posts....usually jumping to conclusions and labeling everyone who doesn't happen to have what appears to be your "minority" opinion here on AT. Like one poster has already alluded to, this an archery forum. Remember that.

As far as shortening one season and adding to another. Yes, that is exactly what I propose. One thing you need to consider is that an in-line MZL is not a bow. The reason we have a longer archery season is due to the fact that for some people this is required to gain an opportunity to harvest a deer. A modern MZL will kill deer very easily to 100 yards, actually much further if ample practice time is made. Most would agree archery is pretty much limited to 40 yards and under. A big difference.

The number of people out MZL hunting has sky-rocketed in my neck of the woods. Most of these groups do far better than many of the shotgun hunters. 3 weeks seems excessive to me. I actually participate in the MZL season (I use an inline MZL rifle) with family and friends annually, so this change would reflect on me.

When the original black powder season was devised, it was a time for many to get out and hunt what was then a primitive weapon season. They were able to enjoy an undisturbed hunt as very few people took to the woods with black powder. Many traditional MZL hunters have pretty much lost that opportunity. I think it is reasonable to give them a week back.

I love the new inline MZL's as much as the next guy, but I certainly donít need 3 weeks to fill my tag.

As for pushing the gun hunt back....I have yet to talk to one guy who wouldn't like to emulate what IA, KS, WI, IL has going as far an age structure within their deer herd. Pushing the gun season out of the Rut is the most logical way of doing this.

Now Doug, get out there and hunt this year. It looks to be a good one. Remember, live is a lot more fun living when the glass is half full. Best of luck.:)

Illustrator
September 10th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I would like to see Michigan pass a Earn a Buck rule, making a mandatory check in of the doe before being able to shoot a buck. This would not apply to the second buck.

Eleminate the 4pts on a side for one of the two bucks MI allows and just make it 3pts on a side for all bucks.

Offer a Lifetime License.

Allow children ages 12-14 to hunt free, with a parent or guardian. Hppefully this would help bring back hunting to what it was.

I like these ideas ... I'm a huge proponent of the EAB idea ... I hate to say it, but I'd even go a step further and make it a one buck limit, at least for, say 5 years, to help better the ratio.

And I'd be ALL over a lifetime license, even if it cost $500 or something, as long as it wasn't a 1 deer a year license.

IrishMike
September 10th, 2007, 03:16 PM
PA needs to :

(1) Implement a "REAL DNR" not the game commision trying to do both

(2) 1 week of Rifle instead of 2 weeks or Shot Gun Only

(3) Limit Bonus Tags a bit (They increase the amount of tags each year and increase the amount of harvesting each year, but then say the population of deer is increasing:mg:. I know deer reproduce but what the Heck?

(4) Keep the antler restriction to 4pts on a side forever!!!!!

(5) Allow Sunday hunting

(6) Keep the archery Season continous sept 29th - Jan 15th.

I can't understand why my state I live in is so F'd up???????????

These changes alone would put PA in a different Class.
- It would be called P & Y Class !!!!!!!!!!!

saskguy
September 10th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Sunday Hunting
Multiple doe tags
1 either sex archery
1 either sex gun

Not 1 antlerless, 2 either sex ( any weapon) as it currently is

DougKMN
September 10th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Well, since the pda version of this site doesn't automatically copy the text of the person you are replying go, this is in response to the gentleman who responded to me in regards to cutting ML and giving more time to bows.

First of all, if you are allowed to hunt in parallel with the ML hunters, and I am not aware of any state that doesn't allow this, then I fully stand by my previous assertion that this opinion is one laced by greed. There is absolutely nothing stopping someone from going out with a bow such that the muzzleloader hunters need to be taken out of the woods in this case. If there are still ML hunters out your third week, they obviously have NOT filled their tags, otherwise they wouldn,t be out.

However, if your state doesn't allow hunting in parallel with firearms, then I can fully understand a desire for cutting a season short.

To me, hogging the playing field is horribly unsportsmanlike. You wouldn't chase off all of the other golfers on a public golf course because you didn't want to share, would you? You wouldn't clear a public lake of all other swimmers just so you could have the lake to yourself, would you? To me, trying to limit one group so another can have more time or enjoyment is wrong.

Firearms hunters and bow hunters can coexist.

It is also interesting to note, this attitude only seems to appear among bowhunters. I have yet to see a firearms hunter suggest limiting the bow season so they can have a better chance to harvest an animal. They all seem to be smart enough to know that sharing is possible, if not a good thing.

Dor
September 10th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Doug you have missed the point completely. By the way I live 20 minutes outside of Rochester. So, I am well aware of who is out and with what motives. Many MZL hunters are bowhunters like myself who have already have or could have filled their tags. Party hunting still abounds. Many guys can gun hunt near a month.

That said, I do look out for my interests and those of other bowhunters 1st. What better place to express those concerns/desires than the worlds largest BOWHUNTING site.

If you would like to further discuss it over a beer sometime, I'm in Rochester often. Everybodies got an opinion. In the end I guess majority wins. Those that are apathetic in regards to their desires will lose out and rightfully so.

ckramos
September 10th, 2007, 04:03 PM
doesn't let me carry a sidearm...

DougKMN
September 10th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Doug you have missed the point completely. By the way I live 20 minutes outside of Rochester. So, I am well aware of who is out and with what motives. Many MZL hunters are bowhunters like myself who have already have or could have filled their tags. Party hunting still abounds. Many guys can gun hunt near a month.

That said, I do look out for my interests and those of other bowhunters 1st. What better place to express those concerns/desires than the worlds largest BOWHUNTING site.

If you would like to further discuss it over a beer sometime, I'm in Rochester often. Everybodies got an opinion. In the end I guess majority wins. Those that are apathetic in regards to their desires will lose out and rightfully so.

I don't think I'm missing anything, we just have divergent opinions. If anything, IMO, longer gun seasons are better, as they allow the hunters to spread out. instead of cramming together for a couple of days, hunters can be a little more leisurely about when they go. Honestly, I think most of the problems commonly associated with gun hunters is due to the fact that they are so compressed into just a few days. As you are also from MN, I am sure you also remember just a handful of years ago where you could either the first weekend of November (2 days) or the following weekend plus the Friday/Monday adjacent to it.

And lets be perfectly honest here, 99% of the issues bowhunters face, gun hunters also face.

ddalton
September 11th, 2007, 01:22 PM
North Carolina's only really dumb rule is not allowing people to track wounded deer with a dog after dark. There's controversy over the ban on Sunday hunting and many want to see it lifted. It will remain as long as the few hunters in the General Assembly prefer duck hunting over deer hunting because Sunday hunting would reduce the days of duck season allowed by the Feds.
I'm a native Mississippian. That state does a lot of things poorly but its hunting seasons for deer are well conceived.

hvhunter
September 11th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Souther Tier of NY:

1) Bow opens Oct 1, runs up until the open of Regular (bow) season.

2) Gun season opener moves from third Sat of Nov until the first
Sat in December.

3) Gun season reduced from current 3-4 weeks to 7 days, ending the Friday after the opener.

4) Late MZ opens follow Sat for four days.

5) Youth can hunt big game at 12.

6) No ARs; one buck per hunter all seasons.

Illustrator
September 11th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Honestly, I think most of the problems commonly associated with gun hunters is due to the fact that they are so compressed into just a few days. As you are also from MN, I am sure you also remember just a handful of years ago where you could either the first weekend of November (2 days) or the following weekend plus the Friday/Monday adjacent to it.

Here in MI we have a 2 week gun season ... and 90+% of the hunters are in the woods the first 2 or 3 days ... The State Land I hunt is quiet until Nov 15th and then it's a zoo ... a few days later? No one is in the woods. Everyone wants to get their deer as soon as possible, so from what I've seen, a longer season doesn't help the crowding issue. I like the longer season simply because I do hunt through all of it, and have taken deer all through the season.

RxBowhunter
September 11th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Until last year an archery tag was good state wide for whitetail OR mule deer. I have been talking about making a mule deer hunt in Western KS with a friend for a few years now but if we decide to do it now, we have to pick a unit in western ks for our tag. That means that if we are unsuccessful we can't hunt for whitetails in eastern ks (for a buck). We can still buy a "game tag" which is good for antlerless only deer and use that in Eastern KS.

RangerAngler
September 11th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I would like to see Wisconsin ban baiting and recreational feeding during the hunting season and allow feeding during the off-season by permit only, which would have to be approved by the local DNR office and posted on the designated feeding area. I would also like to see the early season youth firearm hunt come to an end and go back to the traditional 9 day gun season.

unclebefbef
September 11th, 2007, 02:57 PM
:darkbeer:
Flingr, I agree with you totally! I was really hoping that they would have changed them this past year. Talking with some DNR friends, it does not look good for any future changes anytime soon!

I agree with you guys..its still considered by too many in my area as "Un-Macho"( is that a word?) to shoot a doe. I think SC should implement some sort of antler restriction for a year or two to get the buck quality back up..at least in the upstate. I don't hunt any less than I used to and hopefully learn a little every year but I don't see deer quality improving in our area in the last few years.. also if we have an over abundance of does maybe think about extending the bow season after Jan 1st for a couple or three weeks

NorCalSkinner
September 11th, 2007, 05:06 PM
In California each individual County can over-ride the Fish and Game Commission in setting of doe hunts, special buck hunts, etc... nothing like having a bunch of local politicians dictating to the biologists! I'd love to git rid of that insane madness.... the biologists are NOT allowed to manage anything here. :mad:

I'd also like to be able to create food plots for deer in California like Texas, etc. I think that would increase the management of the deer herds for the betterment of all. Currently, we have a no food plot rule, nor baiting, nor hunting near anything that looks like a food source, etc. We have no real idea of what would really benefit blacktail deer around here... sure we know what native bushes, etc., but with the loss of native habitat, the over-forestation, and such, the herds will continue to decline.

I would like to see the majority of the deer - bear season moved toward fall. Right now we hunt basically in the heat of the summer... I remember one opening day it was 113 degrees. I miss the midwest when the hunting season was more fall - into early winter.

Other than that... not so bad!

jorkep
September 11th, 2007, 05:16 PM
same season length for whitetail across the state. stop with the preferential treatment of South Texas.