PDA

View Full Version : Smallmouth Bass

dpomp1
January 22nd, 2007, 08:49 PM
Does anybody fish for smalleis here and what is you best bait/s?

tcooll77
January 23rd, 2007, 11:30 AM
we try..usually live shiners but weve caught em on small spinners, curly tail grubs

doctariAFC
January 23rd, 2007, 04:30 PM
You're kidding, right? Lake Erie is my Back Yard.

Tube jigs presented on 3/8oz tube jig heads in smoke, green, brown, pumpkinseed, white, watermelon, depending on water temp and time of year.

Silver Buddy blade lure, 1/2 oz, jigged along the bottom is tough to beat.

Many guys are using Zoom Fluke Worms presented on a drop shot rig, worked over the shelves.

Deep diving crank baits and Rat-L-Traps also deliver excellent results, and if the topwater bite is on, you cannot go wrong with the tried and true Zara Spook.

rodney482
January 23rd, 2007, 04:56 PM
night crawlers,,,,,red hook......bottom bounce them.....My favorite place is Lake Ann Michigan....we limit out every day.....

SilentHntr.
January 23rd, 2007, 05:30 PM
My best weapon in tournaments is the old white or pumpkin seed tubes. When they get tight mouthed, we bring out the drop shot with rootbeer worm (my design) made with a mold I developed.

dpomp1
January 23rd, 2007, 11:44 PM
thanks everybody just getting back into fishing and I love smalleis

bluemagic66
January 24th, 2007, 09:51 AM
i live right along the juniata river in Pa and the susquhanna isnt that far either
smallies LOVE stonecats esp here on the juniata .and hellgramites (dobsonfly larve)
super flukes work great ,live shiners,soft shell crayfish (caught at night)
but the best overall bait for smallies by far are the stonecats

went on a float trip this past summer and caught our limits 12 between 2 ppl and all where 18 to 20 1/2 inches

BuckmyBass
January 24th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I love to fish for smallies like anything else. I love the topwater when active, buzzbaits, Zoom Fluke's a friend makes, Live water leeches. I like to fish creeks and streams I have not done any big lake fishing for the smallies YET.

Thanks JR

rut n strut
January 31st, 2007, 08:12 PM
I moved to Green Bay, Wi because of Smallmouth Fishing in and around Door County!

My favorite bait of all time is a football head jig with a skirted doubletail grub.

Only 4 months to the opener!

leon j chartier
January 31st, 2007, 09:28 PM
I have great luck with yamamoto sankos in black or black and purple.
I rig them with a 3/16 inside diameter O ring in the center and I hook the o ring with the hook it works awesome.

Big Red
February 5th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Soft craws........Fish Candy! :tongue:

Matt / PA
February 5th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Like Bluemagic I'm a stone's throw from the Susquehanna River here in PA, I LOVE flyfishing for Smallies! It also really passes the time when the trout need a break during the heat of summer.

Generally I'll fish all the Clouser style flies and a few of my own.......plus nothing beats flipping a big White Wulff during the white fly hatch.

cetorP
February 5th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Table Rock hear- drop shot rigs with finesse worms have been the deal here for the past couple seasons. The stand-by tube jig (git-zit or whatever) and football jigs are a close second.

My favorite trip all year is to northwest Ontario in May to catch em on the nest- our spawn in deep water here but up there it is a bonanza of site fishin or top water action!

GeoMike
April 27th, 2007, 11:24 AM
My best lures for smallies have been soft jerkbaits. (Slug-go, Fin-S-Fish, Super Fluke). 3 of my 4 5 pounders were caught on these. (The other was a spinnerbait) :thumbs_up