PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into catfish'in?

goatranch
January 23rd, 2007, 11:36 AM
I am a long time catfisherman. My dad got me started when I was a boy and have been 'hooked' ever since. For the last few years, I have not really had the time to go much. I do miss it and would like to do it again.

Problem is time and a good place to go. I am really an all nighter cat fisher. We would go sane some bait then head to the river and fish all night long during the summer. Gold fish or small perch is what I like best. Might throw out a few jug lines and then a rod or two on the bottom for big flatheads or channels. Catching some big cats is pretty awesome.

BuckmyBass
January 24th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I love too. I catfish year round for blue's and flatties. i know alot about local lakes and the Ohio river but Arkansas I have no idea. If you ever come out this way I could show you a trip of a lifetime. For FREE too

Thanks JR

goatranch
January 24th, 2007, 01:25 PM
That would be great!

We have a few holes to fish here in the Kings River but it is usually so low anymore that its not good fishing. Also the Arkansas River has some real monster cats. I live about 4 or 5 hours from there. I have heard stories about guys hooking a big cat, fighting it for an hour and it still breaking off. WOW!!

I need to find some spots to fish closer to Table Rock Lake.

OkieJ
January 25th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Go over to Catfish1.com and there is info for your state and maybe a fishing partner.

dbowers
January 25th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I catfish too..I used to be really into bass, but got bord and wanted to try something different. So I started catfishin last summer and like it alot.

Muskyhunter1
January 28th, 2007, 05:30 AM
All I get up North here is Brown Bullheads. We get lots in the spring (5 gallon pails full). I would rather eat cats than walleye any day of the week.

Someday I would like to try and catch a Channel Cat.

gator
January 29th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Never had much luck with a rod and reel. We go to Kaw Lake in NE Oklahoma a couple of times a year, and will run about 30 jugs and 30 limb lines. Last year in 4 days we caught well over 70 fish that we kept and cleaned, throwing anything under 5lbs back. First two days we cleaned 55. Had 4 flatheads in the 35lb range. Biggest blue was 25lbs. Heaviest stringer was 8 fish that weighed 168lbs.

mdewitt71
January 29th, 2007, 12:52 PM
and my 4 yr. old too:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a283/mdewitt71/AmandasCatfish.jpg

goatranch
January 29th, 2007, 12:56 PM
My big cat rod is a very heavy action, 7 ft. flipp'in rod with some 40 pound test braided line and a 5500 C reel. You can really hog big cats with that thing. If you get snagged you have to cut the line.

I like to fish right on the bottom with about a 3 foot leader, slip sinker with live perch or bluegills. On occasion, I fish with a float with weight just above the bottom. Awesome!!

fusiontrix
January 29th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Do you guys eat bullhead catfish? We have a pond overrun with them and was told that they taste like mud and no one wants to have anything to do with them. Is this a farse? I've never caught bullhead catfish in any setting outside this one 12 acre stock pond that they apparenlty came in from the river when it floods.

goatranch
January 29th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I don't recall that I have ever eat any bullheads.

bowslinger
January 30th, 2007, 02:02 PM
yeah i like to catfish make my own baits to

Creekhawg
February 19th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Goat,

Speaking of Kings River, I know where there is a really good hole downstream from the Grandview Bridge. PM me and I'll email you a picture of it from last summer when I took my new kayak out for the first time. My dad and I used to trotline the Kings several times every summer when I was a kid.

Washi
February 19th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Do you guys eat bullhead catfish? We have a pond overrun with them and was told that they taste like mud and no one wants to have anything to do with them. Is this a farse? I've never caught bullhead catfish in any setting outside this one 12 acre stock pond that they apparenlty came in from the river when it floods.

I like bullheads. Taste like any other catfish to me.

hoyt bowhunting
February 20th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I have never been cat fishing but i like the Girls gone grabbing videos.
matt

ban_t
February 28th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I have never been cat fishing but i like the Girls gone grabbing videos.
matt
NOT SURE WHAT THE GIRLS ARE GRABBING, but Catfishing is a blast too.
It's about all nighter's. Coolers of beer is that you bank fish or Koolaid, pending on what company you keep. Flaoting a river, watching jugs or checking your Troutlines. Making your bait, just like bass fishing but Cats are much bigger.
To me Nothing better than a 30+ Flathead on a run stipping off 20# test in a river run. Baitin a hole in the summer heat waiting for the sun to go down. Sitting around the campfire waiting too hear your line go ZING. :darkbeer:

WoolyWelsh
February 28th, 2007, 06:22 PM
and my 4 yr. old too:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a283/mdewitt71/AmandasCatfish.jpg

Is that what they call a blue channel catfish? I've caught these and they smell and taste good, but the flatheads I've caught have an odd chemical-like smell and they do NOT taste good. They look like bullheads, but they're much larger and their head is, well, "flatter". Odd about the taste of the different cats. Same water, different taste.

I've occasionally caught some catfish on a flyrod, fishing deep with a Clouser, for smallmouth bass. Good lord, what a battle! I swear they burrow down into the roots and lock their spines.

It sure is fun catching these demons, especially at night! :darkbeer: and deep-fried cats...I think winter can be going now. Tight lines to you! :thumbs_up