PDA

View Full Version : Coleman scanoes

12BBWHNTN
February 8th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Hey first thread ever does anybody have any experience with the scanoe or pelican bayou they have a squared off back for a motor have been looking all winter for one wondering what people think of them thanks

camotoe
February 8th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I had one. They're made out of a material called Ram-x. Fairly durable, but the hardware on the seat posts and gunnels didn't hold up well. I think they're in the neighborhood of 15'6'' and fairly heavy (if you're car topping by yourself). I used an electric trolling motor off the stern of that scanoe. Worked pretty good. Kinda slow if you're paddling (esp. by yourself...since it's heavy and kinda beamy). What are you going to use it for? My wife and I bought two kayaks and we fish and tour out of them, and there's no comparison. Course if you're gonna be taking kids along, etc. Kayaks would be out, unless they were old enough to paddle for themselves.

12BBWHNTN
February 8th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah thats the problem 2 boys another on the way looking for something quick for cartoping like you said wont usually be paddling as we have 2 nice 12 volts allready Thanks for quick response

camotoe
February 8th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Do you have your eye on one already? Whatrthey askin for it? If you want to take that many (you, two boys, one kid on the way, and possibly spouse) out, maybe hold off and get a jon boat. I bought a 14 foot Starcraft two summers ago for $1500. 25hp evenrude, trailer. It can handle five and it's really stable. Just my $.02

12BBWHNTN
February 9th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Actually no havent found one yet even left thread in wtb yesterday not an issue as far as the whole family as we also have a 19 ft smokercraft if everybody wants to go which is only about a twice a year deal Im pretty sure this is what I want as we have several sandpits within 20 miles plus am trying to get away from the big production and cost of dragging the big boat to the lake this is more of an evening or maybe overnite camping deal thank you for input and if you know of one or have one please contact us ...Thank again

bigbull94
April 1st, 2007, 12:49 PM
my dad has one,it works great with an electric motor!they are stable, inexpensive,a little heavy for one person to manhandle, but other than being a little heavy,nothing wrong with them!Great for ponds, little lakes.