PDA

View Full Version : Fishing for trout in lakes...

josh2
February 20th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I am going to try my hand at fishing for stocked trout in lakes around here in PA this spring and early summer.

My question is where [what do you look for, near shore, water temp., etc.]and how deep and what are some of your tactics that you use in lakes while fishing for stocked brook and brown trout?

Thankyou for your help
Josh

J3100
February 20th, 2007, 08:06 PM
where in pa, im in the southwest if you want to catch as many as possible
learn to thread minnows you put a loop in your line than you use a needle that has a slotted loop in it put the line on the needle and thread it in the mouth and out the anus than you take a double hook that has a open loop your loop in the line goes over the hook and pull back through until just the hooks points are exposed up along the body . its snag proof and but a swivel on your line above the rig because when retrievd it spins its deadly in streams and effective casting or trolling . its a pain at first to learn but it has ruined me for my fly rod . if your going to be in the pit area pm me i have a heavily stocked stream by walking distance from my house i could hook you up

josh2
February 20th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I'm up in the meadville area...

I do fish in the streams but i was wondering what kind of strcuture, depth, etc in stcoked lakes, like Chapman Lake, Harbor Arces, Glade Run Lake, etc.

Thanklyou
Josh

hoytwv
February 21st, 2007, 03:34 PM
i fish for stocked trout in wv. ... for brook when water is cold i use worms and marshmallows on the same hook... once the water warms up i use joe's flies spinners

WAID
February 21st, 2007, 07:53 PM
I catch most of my lake trout throwing spinners from show or trolling small(~2") Rapalas near structure which usually happens to be a point near shore.

stixshooter
February 21st, 2007, 08:52 PM
Browns=
Rapalas jerked and trolled fast. We have a great fishery in Oregon. This day we caught and released 8 just like this one, you can only keep one day over 20"

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4/tixshooter/scan0004.jpg

stixshooter
February 21st, 2007, 09:00 PM
Wet flies slow and low are very good way to catch Rainbows, alot of times will out fish bait, you just need the right color for the day or hour :)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4/tixshooter/PICT0012.jpg

doctariAFC
February 22nd, 2007, 10:07 AM
Nice trout guys!

Fishing trout in a lake is certainly different than stream fishing. Water temps certainly play a big role in where you may find fish. If you are shore-bound, best bets for lake fishing for trout is early in the spring, and late in the fall, when water temps are low and trout are cruising near-shore foraging on whatever food of the day they are keying on.

Spinning tackle anglers will find great success on Panther Martin in-line spinners, silver or gold depending on water clarity and light levels. Orange trailers, yellow and black bodies, etc, will all deliver, but color preference will change, so have a few options. Spoons like the Little Cleo or Krocodile are fantastic as well, and do not be afraid to chuck the larger spoons. CRankbaits like rapalas also hammer trout.

Sometimes the bite will be slow, and a worm or minnow under a float, set about 4-6 foot deep also works wonders in lakes. Egg sacs also work, especially in cold water (very early spring, late fall and winter)

Fly anglers should concentrate on wet flies, emergers and streamers and nymphs, depending on time of year and what the hatch may be. Dry flies during major mayfly hatches or caddis hatches also deliver. The key is to figure out what the most abundant food source is that day, and mimic that.

In large lakes, like the Great Lakes, you must troll, and work the thermoclines. Look for water temps below 50 degrees, and run your spoons or stickbaits through that depth. You may be fishing over 300 FOW, but the fish will suspend between 45 and 60 foot, depending on temperature and baitfish location.

Trout are pelagic in lakes, cruising in the water column, rather than hugging bottom or lurking just under the surface.

kevinsulikowski
February 22nd, 2007, 03:19 PM
in the ponds and lakes in Ma i find its best to fish for trout in the am and late afternoon. i mainly use power bait it seems to work real well around here with the stockies chart green and natural. a size 14 or 16 treble hook with a a small split shot about 2 feet from bait. also thomas boyant spoons seem to work well on that i find to work the best in my area is the orange colored one. can also use a bobber and meal worms

mangler
February 22nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
I have the best luck with an orange wedding ring that has a bronze blade on it. I will put a half ounce lead on the line above the leader and white corn on the hooks and troll it about 60 to 70 feet behnd the boat. Why white corn? I have no idea but I swear it works better than regular yellow corn.

leesarchery
March 17th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Here in UK I use 2 flies which have always given me results for Brownies in lake, they are The Bloody Butcher (red and black) and the Babydoll (white) Looking at the pictures you guys are spoilt for choice. Stixshooter looks like he has it right.