PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fish Erie here?

josh2
February 22nd, 2007, 07:45 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys fish Lake Erie. I reqad something today about be able to catch walleyes for shore near the nursery streams when the steelhead fry leave in the spring (like Trout Run). I dont havce a big boat but it said that you could catch them from shore by wading or in a boat just off shore. If this is true I would like some more information on this like bait [big shiners under a slip float?] what time of year, and if this would be worth while...

Thankyou
Josh

doctariAFC
February 23rd, 2007, 05:08 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys fish Lake Erie. I reqad something today about be able to catch walleyes for shore near the nursery streams when the steelhead fry leave in the spring (like Trout Run). I dont havce a big boat but it said that you could catch them from shore by wading or in a boat just off shore. If this is true I would like some more information on this like bait [big shiners under a slip float?] what time of year, and if this would be worth while...

Thankyou
Josh

Nice question. I fish Lake Erie a lot, Eastern Basin. I am unsure where you are at or when your seasons may begin, but, best bet is spring (May/ June). In Eastern Basin its actually early June. Fish will pile up in the shallows during this time of year, feeding heavily. They come in in late afternoon, and into dark. When weather permits, we don our chest waders and head lamps and head out to Hamburg area and wade out until we are a bit more than waist deep in water (obviously must be a calm night :D). We cast #11 rapalas and work on a slow, steady retrieve. The action is fantastic.

If you're in a boat, same time of day/ night, trolling stickbaits about 100 feet back from the boat (at the most) in 6 - 10 FOW. Trolled at a surface speed of @ 2 MPH. Some will use side planers to spread the lines away from the boat. Deadly! Some of the largest walleye each year are caught this way (12lb and up!)

wallydog1
February 23rd, 2007, 06:19 PM
I have been fishing lake erie for the last 2 weeks.http://www.ohiosportsman.com/photopost/data/514/medium/Picture_025-2.jpghttp://www.ohiosportsman.com/photopost/data/514/medium/Picture_008-2.jpg

josh2
February 23rd, 2007, 06:35 PM
I am about an hour away from the city of Erie in titusville.

Would live bait work and our season starts May 5, would you still be able to have good/limit nites that time in the spring?

Thankyou
Josh

Paul S.
February 24th, 2007, 01:44 AM

Thankyou
Josh

Josh, I live right on the Western Basin of Lake Erie. Around the end of march and into april, the walleyes are going to be in the rivers and on the reefs spawning. The river fishing, allthough crowded, can be good, with the fish in two main rivers in the area. One of the rivers is the Maumee, in Toledo which has a large run of fish every year and the most fishing pressure. The other river is the Sandusky, and its in Fremont, Oh. it has a good run of fish and isn't as crowded as the Maumee. Then you have the reef area just north of my hometown, Port Clinton. There reef area is awesome for spring fishing, last year was a record setting year for the wester basin, and countless limits of fish were caught during the spawning period and this year is supposed to be just as good. In the spring time, jigs are the name of the game. In the rivers, its curly tailed grubs, and on the lake, its hair jigs. If you want a shot at the biggest fish of the year, come here during the fall and early winter and shore cast with big stickbaits. This fishing is done from the piers and beaches and yeilds some absolute hogs, my personal best was a shade over 12lbs a few years ago, caught from a rocky shoreline. If you don't own a boat, there are "headboats" here which will take you out on the lake for about $40 per person for 8 hours of fishing. Good luck.:)

archery bunker
February 27th, 2007, 10:25 AM
I grew up fishing Lake Erie-(ice fishing too)-near Erie Pennsylvania. When I moved to Ohio, I've mostly fished the western end. If you can troll use Erie Dearies (night crawler rig) and if casting, I've had good luck with "beetle spins", (spinner bait with a rubber grub). Erie can turn very wicked very quickly because it's so shallow, so small boats should hug the shore.

doctariAFC
February 28th, 2007, 03:56 PM
I am about an hour away from the city of Erie in titusville.

Would live bait work and our season starts May 5, would you still be able to have good/limit nites that time in the spring?

Thankyou
Josh

Ok, so you're season starts with ours in NY. If you want to use live bait, this is what I would recommend.

Original Erie Deary Spinner rig, colors, Chartruese, Yellow, White/ Red, Green, White, Black. Your choice. Color preference will change day to day...

Bait with a night crawler, hooked through the head, once, clean through, if you want to bury the hook point into the body of the worm, a la Texas Rig, you can, but it is not necessary, and could foul the action.

Cast gently but as far as you can, and reel slow and steady. That tactic was dynamite for me last late May/ early June in Dunkirk Harbor. Didn't get monsters, but got a limit of nice eater sized fish...

Nice to hear someone else endorsing the use of the venerable Beetle-Spin. A purple grub works wonders on the 'eyes on Chautauqua Lake, too.