PDA

View Full Version : Spring Turkey

jbrech
February 23rd, 2007, 02:04 PM
I am new to Turkey hunting and would like some advice on a good broadhead to use for Spring Turkey season. Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks

RoccoB
February 23rd, 2007, 02:14 PM
Spitfirers, Goobler getters, hammerheads.

kieran
February 23rd, 2007, 02:30 PM
gobbler guillotine.

i practice by trying to hit the cardboard inner tube from a paper towel roll, with field points. good fun.

jbrech
February 23rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
I just went through the safety course and they said that in South Dakota the gobbler guillotine has not been approved yet. They also said the some of the gfp people may let you slide if they see that you are using it but not all. Don't know if I want to take that chance yet.
But kinda funny that is is sold at some of the stores here even though it isn't approved to use yet for our turkey season??

Thanks for your input!

nysparticus
February 23rd, 2007, 03:26 PM
gobbler guillotine.

i practice by trying to hit the cardboard inner tube from a paper towel roll, with field points. good fun.

I save all of them now from the rolls. I feel pretty confident at 30 yards and thats with field points.

Dan-O
February 23rd, 2007, 07:57 PM
This is a vote for Rocket Hammerheads. 3 blades with a 2" cut radius. Mine weigh 100 grains. They fly like field points (yes I tested them myself) and leave a ghastly hole. I have seen turkeys beheaded with these things just like the Guillotines. The last turkey I killed with one of these went 3 feet. I've killed a few deer with this head too. Just make sure your generating some serious KE if you're going to shoot a deer with one.(Helen Keller blood trails)

GSLAM95
February 23rd, 2007, 09:01 PM
Was not aware of the issue in SD about the GG's

Where legal my choice is 1- Gobbler Guillotines 2- Rocket 2" Hammerheads

arrowhawk
February 23rd, 2007, 09:22 PM
I am new to Turkey hunting and would like some advice on a good broadhead to use for Spring Turkey season. Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks

Location,location,location. I am not sure you will find a bad head for turkeys.
Best advise I can give you is it seems like they have eyes in back of there heads. Side shots you need to pin there wings or at least there feet. The bird can't fly if it can't run. If you do hit a bird get to it right away and stand on it. Do not try and pickup a live turkey with an arrow in it. If you are lucky enouph to get the bird to strut wait till his back to you and give him the texas heart shot. One thing that I do is set up stakes for yardage, the decoy type stakes work great. When I set up I will put up 20 yard stakes all around my set.

jbrech
February 26th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Season starts April 14th and I can't wait!