PDA

View Full Version : I need help Choosing BRAID!

Bassmaster
February 23rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
I need help on figuring out what brand of braid to use. I'm going to be pitching it into heavy cover and i need muscle to pull fish out. I was thinking of the Suffix Performance Braid or Stren Super Braid. Also i need help choosing some backing.
Thanks
Dusty

jagerace
February 23rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
I switched to Stren last year and haven't looked back. I am using 80 lbs on my flippin rods, and 50 lbs on my worm rods. Still use mono on my crankin rods.

Josh

A_Swede_17_1911
February 27th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I have had good luck with power pro braid. It winds well on the reel, and doest seem to get fluffy on the spool like some other braids I have used like berkley and stren braids.

I like to use just a little bit of monofiliament on the spool, just enough to competely cover the spool. Then I reel on the braid. I make sure I put some good tension, not to much but enought were it winds tightly on the spool.

I fish it with about 18" of Florocarbon Leader.

Gray Wolf
February 27th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I tried Cabelas brand, Fireline and Stren braid. I liked the Stren Braid way more than the others. I like it for tubes,worms, grubs and jig fishing. Also can't beat it for jerk baits !

JASON MYERS
February 28th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Let me tell you a trick. If you use your reel for Braided line only, wrap a piece of duct tape around the arbor(just enough to cover) and then fill with chosen braided line. The tape will act as a cushion, giving the braid something to dig into. Just be careful is you use a power line stripper.

As far as braided line I like Power Pro, just watch your guides. I used to work in the shop at a sporting goods store and saw lots of grooves in the tip of fishing poles.

Muddy41
March 1st, 2007, 12:54 AM
I also am a big fan of Power Pro. But I just got back from having the new Fireline Crystal installed on my reels. They say that this line is abo****ly invisible under water.

We will see next week. We are heading out to Chamblain SD for a week of some good ol Walleye fishing. They say the river is opened up for a long ways south of the dam.

Can't wait for Monday.

freebird052802
March 1st, 2007, 06:25 PM
I used Stren some last year, but have mostly used Power Pro 50lb. You will bend your hook before that stuff will break.
Nate

Bassmaster
March 3rd, 2007, 09:21 PM
anybody use SUFFIX

pointer
March 3rd, 2007, 09:45 PM
Sufix makes an excellent braided line. Keeps its round shape, very durable and casts very well.

slamjammer1
March 4th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I started using spiderwire about 5 years ago and haven't looked back.I use the 30# test and I've pulled logs out of the lake. It'll staighten your hook out before you break the line. I use it in the river all the time where getting snagged on rocks is a regular occurence. Casts real nice too. The whole family uses it on almost everything. You have to read the instructions on tying it though. It's pretty simple once you do it a few times.

Bassmaster
March 10th, 2007, 10:04 PM
probaly wont straighten my hooks i fish with Gamakatsu. Strong ,Sharp, Rust Proof, Dependable.

s_house
March 12th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Another vote for Power Pro 30lb test/8lb diameter.

smonk
March 12th, 2007, 12:57 PM
prower pro

rut n strut
March 12th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Power pro is the best that I have used so far. I don't use it in heavy slop, but I fish it exculsivley in a very rocky snag infested river with crankbaits. I use the 6 lb dia / 20 lb test when I snag a rock I can actually pull straight back on the snag and feel it turn over. (obviously that depends on the rock!) Just my .02

semobow
March 12th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I use stren super braid and fireline. I like them both.

badluk
March 13th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I beleive Fireline came out with a new braid called Crystal. It was supposed to be transparent but it looked just plain white to me??:confused:?? You may want to check that out. On the other hand I have used power pro and stren and been pleased with both

5MilesBack
March 15th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I used Stren some last year, but have mostly used Power Pro 50lb. You will bend your hook before that stuff will break.
Nate

That may be in some situations, but I used Power Pro in Iceland fishing from shore for Cod and Haddock. Jigging on the bottom over volcanic rock gets your hook stuck just about every cast. The 50# used to break quite frequently. The 80# on the other hand.....if I couldn't pop it loose, I could just pull until the split ring connecting the hook to the jig came apart. That way I would just have to replace the hook and split ring. I liked the 50# better for casting though, much better distance. That is, unless the line got buried within itself on the spool. Then the lure would snap that line on the cast and you'd see your 3-4oz lure splash 200+ yards out.:mg: Gosh I miss that!

andrewhove
March 15th, 2007, 05:06 PM
power pro all the way. As long as you use greater than 20 lb line you will pretty much always bend the hook before breaking the line.

Dave Nowlin
April 3rd, 2007, 01:20 AM
60# Power Pro from the beach with fluro carbon leader.
Dave Nowlin

stixshooter
April 3rd, 2007, 01:34 AM
Cabelas Rip Cord SI, I dunno if they even sell it anymore. I've had it my Salmon Rod for .... over 7 years two years ago I reversed it on my reel 60# and 30# Maxima leader. Trust me fresh water Salmon can do things to line and leader that would make a Bass cringe. One time I was by myself on the Willamette River...rod down in the driftboat, had to anchor but Salmon wanted to go down the river. .... sorry dude..thumb break on the 5001c... horse, horse...landed. You should have seen the SS split ring on that plug...stretched to max but the Ripcord held and still is, well woth the $$

j3dgu
April 3rd, 2007, 09:32 PM
I use Fireline for all my topwater and diving lures for saltwater gamefish. Very thin and cast far.