PDA

View Full Version : Remember Herter's Catalogues?

archery bunker
February 27th, 2007, 10:20 AM
When I was a kid, I used to pour over them, wishing for rods, reels, lures, you name it. I understand they are still in business, but very limited-not at all what they once were. Too bad. They had a hold of the market before Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops and "dropped the ball" I'm guessing. Wish I had an old copy of one of their catalogues just for kicks.

Arkie_3_fan
February 27th, 2007, 11:43 AM
I always liked getting the Herters and Gander Mountain catalogs in the mail.

WAID
February 27th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Grandpas has an old one. He also has most of the fishing lures and what not they sold many still in the package. He used to stop at the store near Olympia, WA on the way to fishing in the San Juans. Too bad the store closed before my time but I'm still using the inventory. Grandpa gave me a 14ft boat he bought there and I just waxed my strings with some beeswax from there, it has the 47 cent price tag on it still.

Nightshift
March 2nd, 2007, 09:17 AM
George Herter was a fruit loop. I can only imagine what the catalogs were like. But the History channel did a show on him and it was pretty neat. The only found 7 pictures of him taken in his whole life. He didnt like having his photo taken. I guess he wrote all the copy in the catalogs. Using information not necessarily based upon fact or truth.

WAID
March 2nd, 2007, 11:58 PM
George Herter was a fruit loop. I can only imagine what the catalogs were like. But the History channel did a show on him and it was pretty neat. The only found 7 pictures of him taken in his whole life. He didnt like having his photo taken. I guess he wrote all the copy in the catalogs. Using information not necessarily based upon fact or truth.

yeah I think he learned all his salesmanship from a snakeoil salesman. Didn't matter what it was but if he sold it it was the absolute best and often had nearly magical properties. Seems like I'd heard of some rather questionable business practices on his part too. Still neat catalogs and fun stuff from the stores.